Dark Souls Remastered

Cyhwuhx

On which platform will you remaster death?  

338 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Well which is it then?

There's a maximum of one pile of souls you can retrieve from your last death.  If you don't die again it will stay there forever until you retrieve it.  If you die, it's replaced by a new pile of souls from where you just died.

Quite a few times I died with a small number of souls, that I couldn't be arsed to retrieve, went and played somewhere else, then ages later (without dying) came back to the place where I'd last died and was surprised by the green glowing pile on the ground, that I'd forgotten about.

I beat the final boss tonight, so I can finally say I’ve played Dark Souls. The Switch says 80 hours but I think a quarter of that is from an aborted start last year. Here are a few of my spoilered thoughts. 

Spoiler

Fighting Gwyn at the end wasn’t that bad once I’d managed to work out his attack patterns. Double handing my Black Knight +5 sword and hiding behind the pillars was the tactic I used. Of all the bosses (and I don’t think I did any of the DLC ones), Ornstein and Smough were the hardest, but also the most satisfying. 

I know the level design is well admired, but not having bonfires next to the boss gates is total BS. On Switch it’s a bit janky, are the newer games better?

I don’t know if I enjoyed it or not, but I do feel a sense of achievement. As it loads straight into new game plus, I found myself cantering through the asylum, one-hitting the asylum demon, and then going all the way through the undead burg and killing the Taurus demon in 4 hits. That probably took me a good few hours the first time. 

I have played a few hours of Bloodborne before but never got into it. I might give it another go now. Is it worth playing DS 2&3? I’m now intrigued by the Demon’s Souls remake for PS5, what was that game like compared to Dark Souls?

36 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

I beat the final boss tonight, so I can finally say I’ve played Dark Souls. The Switch says 80 hours but I think a quarter of that is from an aborted start last year. Here are a few of my spoilered thoughts. 

Reveal hidden contents

Fighting Gwyn at the end wasn’t that bad once I’d managed to work out his attack patterns. Double handing my Black Knight +5 sword and hiding behind the pillars was the tactic I used. Of all the bosses (and I don’t think I did any of the DLC ones), Ornstein and Smough were the hardest, but also the most satisfying. 

I know the level design is well admired, but not having bonfires next to the boss gates is total BS. On Switch it’s a bit janky, are the newer games better?

I don’t know if I enjoyed it or not, but I do feel a sense of achievement. As it loads straight into new game plus, I found myself cantering through the asylum, one-hitting the asylum demon, and then going all the way through the undead burg and killing the Taurus demon in 4 hits. That probably took me a good few hours the first time. 

I have played a few hours of Bloodborne before but never got into it. I might give it another go now. Is it worth playing DS 2&3? I’m now intrigued by the Demon’s Souls remake for PS5, what was that game like compared to Dark Souls?

I think your spoilered views match mine all told. I would advise to go and do the DLC, though. There is some good stuff there. 

But yes, oh, yes, play Bloodborne. It's another level above this, in my opinion, and I'll see you in the thread. 

8 hours ago, Gigawatt said:

Is it worth playing DS 2&3? I’m now intrigued by the Demon’s Souls remake for PS5, what was that game like compared to Dark Souls?

2 is great, has a different feel to the combat and a very varied world. It's massive. Its lore is also fascinating and almost standalone. It has its flaws, imbalanced difficulty, some reused bosses and slightly weightless combat unless you have a strength build. Overall, there are days when I think it might be my favourite. 

3 is my least favourite but it's very consistent, looks pretty, it's the most accessible, combat is pretty simplified albeit there are some very tough bosses, and it's more directly linked to DS1 lore. It feels more like a gameplay challenge and series of pretty set pieces than a game which necessarily needed to exist. 

Demon's is superb, but only on PS3 and the jankiest and most impenetrable of the lot. It's incredibly atmospheric, though. It's also standalone. It still has something special and mysterious about it which none of the other games have captured.

Bloodborne is probably objectively the best. Accessible but plenty of depth and variety to the weapons and therefore very replayable. Incredibly cohesive world, story and lore, tied into gameplay mechanics. Amazing bosses, very intense and atmospheric. It really gets under your skin. An all-timer. 

Thanks all, I’ll admit that I couldn’t tell you a single thing about the story, so I’m going to be pretentious and say that the real story was the journey of self-discovery and learning. Like The Witness, which is still my only Platinum trophy. 

I’ll probably play something a bit more cheery like The Last of Us 2 next but then I’ll give Bloodborne another go.  

I’ve had a few weapons that I couldn’t handle to begin with (eg Zweihander) that I’m levelled up enough to use now by chance stat picking, but I’ve got the Black Knight sword now and I don’t know what I’m looking for to tell me what I need to level up...any tips on that please?

27 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I’ve had a few weapons that I couldn’t handle to begin with (eg Zweihander) that I’m levelled up enough to use now by chance stat picking, but I’ve got the Black Knight sword now and I don’t know what I’m looking for to tell me what I need to level up...any tips on that please?

There are two different weapons with similar names but different minimum stats requirements:

Black Knight Sword - Str 20, Dex 18

Black Knight Greatsword - Str 32, Dex 18

(For comparison, the Zweihander's minimum requirements are Str 24, Dex 10.)

Those are the stats for effectively wielding them one-handed. The minimum strength requirements for two-handed use are lower.

Cheers, it’s the Great Sword I’ve got.

I’ve also managed to turn my +5 Halberd into a magic halberd...it doesn’t seem any different though, just less powerful. Do I need stats to make the magic work?

3 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I’ve also managed to turn my +5 Halberd into a magic halberd...it doesn’t seem any different though, just less powerful. Do I need stats to make the magic work?

The way I understand it is that it will do extra damage to creatures that are weak to magic, but less damage to those not. I have no idea what creatures are weak to magic, though, without extensive trawling through the wiki. If you can find the normal black Knight sword and get that leveled up to +5 you'll never need another weapon for the rest of the game. Try sprinting at enemies and swinging with it.

I’m really stuck... feel as though I just need to hand someone my console for 5 minutes and they’d tell me where to go... but I’ve no idea. There’s the firemage down in the hell place and boss in the place with all the ghosts... and I can’t beat either

6 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I’m really stuck... feel as though I just need to hand someone my console for 5 minutes and they’d tell me where to go... but I’ve no idea. There’s the firemage down in the hell place and boss in the place with all the ghosts... and I can’t beat either

The big demon thing? Stay behind him. Roll away when he floats up. Let him do his boom slam in front of him then when the shockwave settles, roll in and smack him. Rinse, repeat. 

8 hours ago, ZOK said:

Magic weapons are good if you're putting plenty of points into Intelligence.

Most weapons will scale up in damage if you put points into certain stats - strength, dexterity, intelligence or faith. You can see on the weapon's info screen which stats affect it, with ratings from A-E showing how quickly it will scale.

The halberd starts with a D rating for both str and dex, which means you'll get a slight damage increase with every point of str or dex you add. If you change it to magic, that rating decreases to E, so you'll lose some of the bonus you had from str and dex, but it now has a C rating for int, so you'll get more of a boost by putting points into int.

Generally, it's only really worth levelling up int a lot if you're intending to focus on sorcery spells. Otherwise, it's probably better to return the halberd to its +5 state.

Edit: Whenever you get a weapon you might want to use, you should check its weight, minimum requirements and scaling to see if it really suits your play style.

3 hours ago, ZOK said:

Yes, I meant no sense keeping it magic, I love the halberd. Do I need the magic ember to reverse it though?

Don't think so. It's usually the last option on the right to detune weapons. You won't get any of the stuff back though that you used to upgrade it. 

I’m a relative novice, but I think if you kill the blacksmith he’ll drop the crest (just want to stress I didn’t do that). I think you need to do that bit to get you something that allows you access to another boss. 

21 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Is it worth grinding out the 20K souls for the key to the magic locked garden? I had 10K in the bank but I just lost them due to a stupid mistake. :angry:

That area is compulsory, so yes. Although I wouldn't necessarily grind; just buy it after you've killed your next boss. However, there is a back way to get to the same area, but it does involve fighting through some gnarly enemies.

Location spoiler:

Spoiler

Up a ladder by the waterfall near the hydra in Darkroot Basin.

1 minute ago, ZOK said:

Okay, is that the one that shoots water missiles at you near the bottom entrance to Havel’s tower? 

I am generally avoiding all bosses, btw!

You’ll end up like me in Bloodborne, where all your routes end in bosses. I’ve got 5 to dispatch now!