Dark Souls Remastered

On which platform will you remaster death?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How do you post video footage up on here? Only I’ve recorded footage of my sword smashing straight through the middle of enemies.......then a second later with my sword still right through them..........they dodge out the way with no damage done at all to them whatsoever. It’s fucking ludicrous. Possibly the worst thing I’ve seen on a game in 35 years of gaming! It’s happening over and over too and makes the game unplayable. I can’t be the only one that’s experienced this surely?!?!?

Edit: I’m in the garden outside Crystal Cave. I fight 5-6 golem enemies, everything’s fine, then suddenly.......unhittable golem enemy! Sword goes straight through them lock or no lock on, but there’s no damage done whatsoever. Or i’m constantly standing straight on to them, but when I swing you can see the game move my character slightly so that my attack goes either side of them! The fuck is this shit?

2 minutes ago, Ravern said:

Yeah it's a shit game. Probably best play something else instead.

Cheers for the help mate! Lol.! Funny how people had no problem when I was gushing about how brilliant the game was, yet as soon as I encounter shit stuff in it and voice any criticism including stuff that makes it unplayable, I get attacked, and told I’m a troll. 

@Marlew See you’ve deleted your post telling me “nobody gives a shit”. Nice guy! Not only are you doing yourself a disservice acting like that, but also the forum and the game itself. It’s toxic behaviour.

1 minute ago, Ravern said:

What help can I offer? If the game is so bugged, it's not worth bothering with.

I dunno, maybe it’s a bug/glitch that you or someone else has encountered? Maybe it’s actually a known issue but people are just waving it away like some of the other stuff I’ve encountered? Maybe it’s something to do with playing on PS5? I’ve got no idea. All I know is it started happening around Anor Londo and seems to be getting worse! It feels like the CPU is cheating to me. It’s like playing Mario but on every X amount of button presses jump doesn’t register so you fall to your death. It’s crazy!

I’ve put 70+ hrs into Demon’s Souls and absolutely love it! Yeah, I’ve got criticisms of this, they’re valid criticisms though. Being attacked because of that is absolutely crazy, especially when I’ve had so much praise for the game that balances it out!

For the record I own Dark Souls on 360 which I bought day one. I’ve got it on Switch. I bought it again for PS4, so I’ve probably spent about £100 on it and think the early sections are absolutely fantastic and packed full of great design. Also bought DS2, 3 and Bloodborne, all of which I’ve enjoyed.

10 hours ago, CrichStand said:

@Marlew See you’ve deleted your post telling me “nobody gives a shit”. Nice guy! Not only are you doing yourself a disservice acting like that, but also the forum and the game itself. It’s toxic behaviour.

:lol: 

Fair play, that really made laugh. Anyway, let's let bygones be bygones and get back to talking about this wonderful hobby we call videogames. 

Talking of videogames, I wonder whether you've ever played HadesEveryone says it's great!

Here's a link for convenience:

10 hours ago, CrichStand said:

For the record I own Dark Souls on 360 which I bought day one. I’ve got it on Switch. I bought it again for PS4, so I’ve probably spent about £100 on it and think the early sections are absolutely fantastic and packed full of great design.

You've bought all those versions but you're only now playing it for the first time? :blink:

I mean, I've got a big backlog of unplayed games dating back nearly a decade, but nothing I've paid full price for or bought on multiple formats!

Also bought DS2, 3 and Bloodborne, all of which I’ve enjoyed.

And you've played all those... but in DS1 you've struggled to do things like judge attack distances and glean story and gameplay hints from item descriptions? :blink:

Hmm... are you sure your posts here aren't just winding us up? :sherlock:

I had another few runs at Fats & Small, aka Dragon Slayer Ornstein and Executioner Smough, this morning. Jesus suffering on the cross, this is hard. Having the patience to wait for an opening for a quick attack when both are on their cool-down animation is patience-testing, but even when those windows open up I struggle to be close enough to be able to capitalise on it. 

I think I need to get better at rolling and countering, but again, I usually find that after a roll I’m too far away to hit without closing the distance, and losing the opportunity, or; the recovery animation from a roll is just too long and by the time I’m up and ready to attack the enemy has returned to a neutral stance and is ready to attack again too. 

I don’t know, I’m struggling here. Can they be stun-locked? I’m focusing on the little guy, but it seems the fatty is actually weaker? I’m sure I landed a lucky hit that struck both of them and the damage done to Smough was higher. And his attack, where he charges forward and swipes the hammer up and left is very, very, very hard to dodge!

Am I supposed to have a better dodge somehow? I recall someone up-thread saying you need to keep your load weight to under 50% - is there an additional bonus for keeping it under 25%, for example, that unlocks a more nimble kind of dodge that I’m hitherto missing?

@Popo As a general piece of advice for the first time around, you want to try to keep them both in your sights as much as possible and only attack once when you have an opportunity. That's the 'safest' way but it is attritional. They're very possible solo but it is a legendary boss fight with good reason. The truth is that you will have to learn their movesets and learn when you can punish. If you can beat O&S, then you can beat the game. The rewards are also great. 

In terms of equip load and rolling, you could have a look at this for detailed info:

https://darksouls.wiki.fextralife.com/Equip+Load

But effectively, your instincts are right. The lower your equip load, the faster your roll and the more invulnerable frames will make up the roll animation. For these guys, if you're not tanking them (which is possible if you build for it), you're better off with just a shield and weapon because the gear will slow you down and won't offer enough protection to offset it.

Could I also suggest concentrating on doing damage to only one of them? 

17 minutes ago, Popo said:

Am I supposed to have a better dodge somehow? I recall someone up-thread saying you need to keep your load weight to under 50% - is there an additional bonus for keeping it under 25%, for example, that unlocks a more nimble kind of dodge that I’m hitherto missing?

Yes there is! Though for Ornstein and Smough the 25-50% range should be OK; that should let you equip a good shield and armour with good lightning defence.

There are actually even more rolling speeds below 25%, but the differences are so minor that you'd never see them without counting frames in side-by-side comparisons:

Do you have any items that will raise how much equipment you can carry? There are some things in the game that can can help you wear slightly better armour without going up into the fat rolling tier.

I tried O&S a few times last night and got mashed into the walls, floor and ceiling in fairly short order. Decided quite quickly that life is too short and summoned a couple of sunbros for jolly co-op.  Even with three of us it was a bit of a battle!  I have no fucking idea how people solo them.  Good luck @Popo!

54 minutes ago, Popo said:

I don’t know, I’m struggling here. Can they be stun-locked? I’m focusing on the little guy, but it seems the fatty is actually weaker? I’m sure I landed a lucky hit that struck both of them and the damage done to Smough was higher. And his attack, where he charges forward and swipes the hammer up and left is very, very, very hard to dodge!

Locking on the small one and getting distance between you and them is useful. The small one will catch up quicker, giving you a moment (just a moment) where he's isolated.

I think the big tip on this battle though is always

Spoiler

use the pillars for cover. Even when they're broken, they still do the job. Don't get caught in the open, make sure there's a pillar between you and them as much as possible.

I’ve decided to “play” this vicariously through @Popo :P. Love this thread and peoples’ journeys through the game but I can’t join in 

After a few evenings sort of enjoying it but feeling like I was chipping away at Stonehenge with a teaspoon, came to the realisation I just found it exhausting rather than fun. I can totally see why people love it but the minute to minute gameplay just leaves me cold. 

I felt like that on my first attempt too. It felt like I'd spent hours in the Undead Burg alone, and I decided it was just too hard.

Then I tried again a long time later, and somehow it all just clicked. :D

Thanks for the tips everyone! I don’t see a friendly summon in the big room before the boss though - come to think of it I don’t know what these look like as I don’t think I’ve encountered them before!

The big knights in that room are horrible! They heal a lot when their health is low, I tried fighting one for about 10 minutes and got nowhere. Maybe I haven’t found the summon because they keep scaring me off. 

Ive got a set of shadow clothes, which makes me look a bit like a ninja, and I can see a noticeable uptick in rolling speed. I’ll give this a try. 

You need to be human in order to see and use summons. They look like glowing gold text on the floor.

Some are NPCs built into the game, but most you see will be other players.

Oh wait, you have to be human to see the summons, right? I die so often I never bother to reverse hollowing because is a waste of humanity, I’ve played the whole game so far hollowed. 

Yeah it's definitely a risk reward thing. I believe you get more items from killing enemies while human and can summon, but it's a limited resource and you open yourself up to invasions too.

Ok, my speed build has saw me through to bringing Ornstein down to half health, which is already a big improvement!

Trying to resist the urge to get greedy by only hitting twice each turn, but using double-handed so it’s still dealing decent damage.

Theoretically speaking, you don’t need a shield if the enemy can’t hit you!

24 minutes ago, Popo said:

Ok, my speed build has saw me through to bringing Ornstein down to half health, which is already a big improvement!

Keep at it. Beating O&S solo on Switch was one of the most difficult yet most satisfying moments in gaming for me. You can do it!

48 minutes ago, Popo said:

Trying to resist the urge to get greedy by only hitting twice each turn, but using double-handed so it’s still dealing decent damage.

Theoretically speaking, you don’t need a shield if the enemy can’t hit you!

Yeah, it’s far better to go two handed and roll than use a shield. Getting clipped using a shield drains your stamina anyway and leaves you open for getting hit again a lot of the time.

I’ve been gaming for 35yrs+. Grew up on arcade cabs. Shinobi was one of my favs. Finished Ninja Gaiden, Bayo, DMC etc on their hardest difficulties. I know what I’m on with! Truth is,  that fight and some of the others are just janky and rely on luck more than skill. 

1. The camera doesn’t work well in that fight. You can end up battling it more then the boss trying to get it to do what you want it to do.

2. The bosses attacks glitch. The smaller one can home in but he often gets stuck in the pillars and then suddenly slides off them and finishes the move when least expected. At other times he does it from behind the bigger enemy so you don’t even see him attacking at all. 
3. The A.I often doesn’t separate the two bosses, which can lead to a patience testing war of attrition, as you circle around the room waiting for them to split up. 
4. Many of the boss fights require trial and error because the bosses can often one shot you, which is cheap as chips.

Instead of being hard because it’s well balanced, fair and a test of skill.......it’s hard because it’s poorly designed and the mechanics are wonky. As others have said, you can usually summon for help or you can upgrade your weapon too, which would help you out a bit.

2 hours ago, Nick R said:

You've bought all those versions but you're only now playing it for the first time? :blink:

I mean, I've got a big backlog of unplayed games dating back nearly a decade, but nothing I've paid full price for or bought on multiple formats!

And you've played all those... but in DS1 you've struggled to do things like judge attack distances and glean story and gameplay hints from item descriptions? :blink:

Hmm... are you sure your posts here aren't just winding us up? :sherlock:

I stopped playing on 360 as I had touring commitments, so couldn’t play for months. I then got into a new relationship and stopped gaming for a couple of years.  Not sure why I stopped playing on Switch. Having played the PS4 version I realised that I’d got to the Depths on 360 and had just rang the bell on Switch.

Honestly, I think people are forgetting just how obscure these games are! With hindsight it’s easy to say “oh you do this” or “just check a menu”, but for someone playing them fresh it’s really not that obvious at all! 

See, you’ve been really cool so far mate. Really helped me out and I appreciate that. Saying “you’ve struggled to judg attack distances” is taking the piss though! I have a vid of me attacking an enemy, my sword smashes down straight through it, then a second later it dodges, passes through my sword which is straight through the middle of it and the game registers no damage. That’s happening all the time now. I have no idea why!

Tried fighting on uneven ground to check if it’s that. Tried using lock on and no lock. Tried fighting multiple enemies and single enemies. Nothing changes. it just randomly decides that I’m not going to do any damage on certain hits even though I’m hitting. It makes the game unplayable because having that happen and you die from it, after making 30mins of progress is beyond bullshit!

No, I’m not winding anyone up! That’s why I was asking about posting a vid up, to show I’m not and back up what I’m saying!

Yea the homing attack glitch is a real pain in the arse, and enemies with long range that can clip you through walls/pillars are pure cheese. 

Smough is definitely the weaker of the two and I did manage to kill him, but of course Ornstein then clipped me and killed me at the same time. That’s fucking frustrating. :lol:

I was nevertheless treated to the half time show. Tell me this - does the second half of the battle play out differently if you kill Ornstein first? Because I didn’t like what I saw of Ultra Ornstein. :unsure: