Jump to content
rllmuk
Cyhwuhx

Dark Souls Remastered

On which platform will you remaster death?  

320 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, grindmouse said:

 

  Reveal hidden contents

It’s handheld

 

Didn’t get on with Bloodborne but never played Dark Souls and keen to take it on.

 

About your hardest entry point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, K said:

According to Kotaku, the game isn't being remastered by From themselves, they've outsourced it to a Polish developer  - QLOC, who I haven't heard of but are apparently well-regarded.

 

QLOC usually do Capcom's conversions, they should be competent given their past efforts. More interestingly is the unknown Chinese developer doing the Switch rewrite, only one springs to mind and they have recently released a game for the system also ported from last gen.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, englishbob said:

About your hardest entry point

 

But you get a shield.

 

And anyway isn’t meant to be the best gameworld of the three and the most iconic game in the series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

 

But you get a shield.

 

And anyway isn’t meant to be the best gameworld of the three and the most iconic game in the series.

 

the gun is the shield in BB

 

I dunno, BB is exceptional in almost every way. Apart from tracking your progress through the chalice dungeons, that is tragic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i Loved bloodborne until that fucking Rom, maybe it was just me but I was stuck on it for 2 weeks solid, it really spoiled the game for me and ive never wanted to replay through it.

There have been some utter bastard bosses on the souls series but nothing ever broke me like that thing.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dave White said:

i Loved bloodborne until that fucking Rom, maybe it was just me but I was stuck on it for 2 weeks solid, it really spoiled the game for me and ive never wanted to replay through it.

There have been some utter bastard bosses on the souls series but nothing ever broke me like that thing.

 

 

 

I would've expected anyone except Rom (well, him and The One Reborn) to be an obstacle. Maybe watch a few playthroughs for him and smash on through? Because after Rom... Wooo, boy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel your pain Dave White - I gave up Bloodborne at Rom. It was like a massive difficulty spike for me, hadn't had any trouble up to then. Wonder if it was a problem with our builds? I should go back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Dave White said:

i Loved bloodborne until that fucking Rom, maybe it was just me but I was stuck on it for 2 weeks solid, it really spoiled the game for me and ive never wanted to replay through it.

There have been some utter bastard bosses on the souls series but nothing ever broke me like that thing.

 

 

 

I blasted through until Rom, he was an utter nightmare 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rom was a massive sticking point for me too. 

 

Blood Starved Beast, Vicar Amelia and Rom were my trinity of terror. Oddly, I found the game got easier the further I progressed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Oh...

OK...

Ehrm...

Is Rom really that difficult? :ph34r:

 

He was pretty divisive, not only in forum opinion but my own playthroughs - the techniques I used for my first run were hopeless in my next, and my advice to others was always changing.

 

You should definitely take time to kill the smaller spiders rather than ignoring them though, and the ground meteors are always preferable to the air attack (opinion subject to change)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is a bit gimmicky and he was also very resistant to my Saw Cleaver. Every subsequent playthrough I upgraded the Tonitrus just for that dead eyed stone lookin fuck. Bzzzzt bzzzt, bitch. The trick is when you see him flip over, run like fuck to the side and outrun the meteor storm. That's what kept getting me, it's a very annoying attack. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Majora said:

Rom was a massive sticking point for me too. 

 

Blood Starved Beast, Vicar Amelia and Rom were my trinity of terror. Oddly, I found the game got easier the further I progressed.

 

Is it odd, I mean, really? 

 

I could rephrase what you've said like this:

"The further I progressed, the better I got at the game."

 

:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ah not just me then lol.

 

The language that transpired from my mouth nearly melted my screen every time I died, on the flipside I nearly did a flaming uppercut through my ceiling once the tit had been felled.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rom is a complete pussy. There are drastically harder bosses in the rest of the game. 

He doesn't like elements, like Fire and Electricity, so use them.. ignore the spider adds and rush him. 

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rom can be a right bastard even if you know how to deal with him. It's mechanically terrible and the camera doesn't help. Like quite a lot of the Bloodborne bosses. 

 

 

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Andy XC said:

Bamco say HDR support but only on Pro (& X I guess).  Strange PS4 std is excluded and it might be a typo as 4k is in the same sentence.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/01/11/dark-souls-remastered-comes-to-ps4-may-25/

 

Oh it looks like we aren't getting HDR support after all.

It has been crossed out on the US blog thread and removed entirely on the EU blog (as is the SCEE way, delete things and pretend it was never there.  :o ).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rsdio said:

It definitely wasn't a bag of shit :lol:

 

It's 'just' an 8/10  sort of game compared to the first one being a 10 all day. It has more flaws than the others but it's still well worth playing if you love the series and the story themes are kind of great.

 

The story is good, genuinely interesting and cool. However, I think if you’re invested in and fond of the first game it’s problems are actually much more pronounced, because it being a sequel to that game sets expectations of a certain design and level of thought that it just doesn’t live up to at all.

 

5 hours ago, englishbob said:

I dunno, BB is exceptional in almost every way. Apart from tracking your progress through the chalice dungeons, that is tragic.

 

I’m getting well into the chalice dungeons recently, there’s some incredibly cool stuff in them if you unlock them all and go searching.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/01/2018 at 15:29, dood said:

I'm not really sure what you're worried about, the mechanics & frustrations & unfairnes (what?) have been the same the whole way through the games, right up to Dark 3. 

 

Dark 1 has something none of the rest have though - the best twisty turny map ever.  (for the first half / two-thirds of the game, at least)

The world is definitely the accomplishment in DS1 that stands it apart from the others.

I also like how relatively compact it is compared to the sprawl of the other games.

DS3 has a great world as well though. The sense of being in a real physical location you get from looking across the world from AL to the castle and realising you've covered all the ground in between is something special. If it had come out before DS1 it might have had the wow factor to make it the one that everyone would remember.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Rom is a complete pussy. There are drastically harder bosses in the rest of the game. 

He doesn't like elements, like Fire and Electricity, so use them.. ignore the spider adds and rush him. 

 

 

 

Rush him... and die

Take your time... and die

Methodically kill the spiders... and die

Try to tank... and die

Try to use elements... and die

 

Oh god I forgot the horror of it. Combined with the tough enemies prior and Bloodbornes maddening health system that punishes you for getting whopped by bosses repeatedly and it was awful. I think it just wrecks some particular playstyles and weapons.

 

  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

DS3 has a great world as well though. The sense of being in a real physical location you get from looking across the world from AL to the castle and realising you've covered all the ground in between is something special. If it had come out before DS1 it might have had the wow factor to make it the one that everyone would remember.

 

DS3 disappointed me from the pont I could figure out how to get to the High Wall, until I looked up that I had to warp.

 

Nothing has come near DS1's world, though Bloodborne is tremendously well realised.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, the world in DS3 isn't intricately connected the way the majority of the world in DS1 is. You're warping from separate area to separate area right from the get-go, being able to see the previous unconnected area in the distance isn't the same thing at all. They never did manage to create a similarly impressive connected almost Metroidvania-like world after DS1. BB came closest I think but even that one fell short.

 

Also, about Rom in BB - he/she/it is the most annoying boss I've encountered it any of the Souls games. I've played them all and none of the other bosses gave me as much trouble as Rom. I did beat him in the end, but it felt like sheer luck. I just happened to not get hit enough that one time, for me to get him first.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think warping from the start means that an interconnected world just doesn’t work, the shortcuts are neat but they don’t mean anything because you don’t need them.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're completely right. It worked in DaS1 because the ability to warp isn't available until fairly late into the game. Before that you're completely dependent on uncovering shortcuts to effectively navigate the world. Being able to warp right from the beginning negates that, even if the world were to be intricately connected like in DaS1.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That interconnection is what I probably missed most in DS2. There was always that sense of wow when you realised where you had ended up in relation to the other areas in DS1. The fact you couldn't warp meant you had to carry that map in your head so you could find that area you hadn't explored yet. Didn't stop me enjoying DS2 though.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Yeah, the world in DS3 isn't intricately connected the way the majority of the world in DS1 is. You're warping from separate area to separate area right from the get-go, being able to see the previous unconnected area in the distance isn't the same thing at all. They never did manage to create a similarly impressive connected almost Metroidvania-like world after DS1. BB came closest I think but even that one fell short.

 

Also, about Rom in BB - he/she/it is the most annoying boss I've encountered it any of the Souls games. I've played them all and none of the other bosses gave me as much trouble as Rom. I did beat him in the end, but it felt like sheer luck. I just happened to not get hit enough that one time, for me to get him first.

 

But the world in DS3 is all interconnected, the only part that isn't is Firelink Shrine. Once you get to the High Wall then everything is connected, the only warps then are the DLC and The Peak (which you can see in the distance).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well... You can get to A firelink shrine that is connected to the rest of the map! ;)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Minion said:

 

But the world in DS3 is all interconnected, the only part that isn't is Firelink Shrine. Once you get to the High Wall then everything is connected, the only warps then are the DLC and The Peak (which you can see in the distance).

 

It's not the same. The game rarely doubles back in a surprising way. You tend to just keep going onwards.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Minion said:

 

But the world in DS3 is all interconnected, the only part that isn't is Firelink Shrine. Once you get to the High Wall then everything is connected, the only warps then are the DLC and The Peak (which you can see in the distance).

It's been a while since I played it and I never finished DaS3 (it's on my to-do list!) but I remember the high wall not being connected to anything. You reach the gate and then a cutscene about waving a flag warps you down to the next area. Yeah, you can see the wall from the village but that's not the same as it actually being connected in a physical and clever/unexpected way. 

 

It's still a great game, don't get me wrong. I love BB and DaS3, but the interconnected world was one of the things I enjoyed most about DaS1, so I'm just a little bit disappointed that they never managed to improve on that or even replicate it. And I do think there's room for improvement, since it's generally agreed upon that the final third isn't quite as good. I can't help but imagine a Souls-like with a Metroidvania-style world that's as good from start to finish as the first two-thirds of DaS1. 

 

Edit: also I don't necessarily want every Souls game to be like that. After DaS1, DeS and Nioh are my favourite Souls-type games and I think they're fucking brilliant. It's just that I also wish for another DaS1.

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, kensei said:

 

It's not the same. The game rarely doubles back in a surprising way. You tend to just keep going onwards.

 

That's true but it's still a fully connected world, the only double back I guess is getting into the Castle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.