rllmuk
Doctor Shark

Critical Role - The new campaign

AWNP goes unplugged..

(No Work, Some Play?) 

Sam and Liam are determined to stay connected (from a safe distance). Join them as they check in on one another and discuss what they've been up to.

Ah man, I actually talked to him most days whilst I was in the centre, but my mate promised me that he wouldn't watch any crit until I got out regardless so we have been catching up and freedom crit has been the fucking best. Unfortunately we finished episode 99 this morning and there is no telling when episode 100 will be out :(

I do wonder if they will end up doing like Highrollers and everyone else and just stream it

I've given up on Crit Role, I'm sorry to say. A combination of things:

• the chroma conclave really dragging the story of campaign 1 to a halt caused me to give up at around ep 82;
  • The thing with Micha Burton in campaign 2 totally turned me off the campaign; she was awful, I hated every second she was on screen, her character was terrible, she herself was really irritating and it just killed my enthusiasm for the story stone dead and I couldn't go back;
  • The unbelievably toxic echo chamber circle jerk of a community. They're some of the most vile people on twitter, preaching inclusivity whilst immediately pouncing on and being fucking awful to anyone who dares say anything they don't like - even the cast themselves;
  • A by-product of the previous one: how apologetic and submissive the cast are in trying to please everyone. Just do what you wanna do, if people don't like it then tough, stop bloody apologising for everything and capitulating to the awful fanbase.

Anyway yeah, sorry for the rant but mostly the horrid community killed off my interest in something I once loved very much. :( 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

I've given up on Crit Role, I'm sorry to say. A combination of things:

• the chroma conclave really dragging the story of campaign 1 to a halt caused me to give up at around ep 82;
  • The thing with Micha Burton in campaign 2 totally turned me off the campaign; she was awful, I hated every second she was on screen, her character was terrible, she herself was really irritating and it just killed my enthusiasm for the story stone dead and I couldn't go back;
  • The unbelievably toxic echo chamber circle jerk of a community. They're some of the most vile people on twitter, preaching inclusivity whilst immediately pouncing on and being fucking awful to anyone who dares say anything they don't like - even the cast themselves;
  • A by-product of the previous one: how apologetic and submissive the cast are in trying to please everyone. Just do what you wanna do, if people don't like it then tough, stop bloody apologising for everything and capitulating to the awful fanbase.

Anyway yeah, sorry for the rant but mostly the horrid community killed off my interest in something I once loved very much. :( 

Utterly agree on Burton and the community 

The community is toxic but then that is the case of most online "communities" that gather around a single show/idea. They all think they know the best way and those who are more "dedicated" tend to be most vocal and definitely obsessed! The Twitch chat is hilarious most of the time , if I ever switch it on. I follow the twitter accounts of the main cast and that is it really , the rest is just either scary or dangerously obsessed. Any snippets I do see are quite eye opening.

Micah Burton? She was quite irritating in terms of RP but it was three episodes in a 100 episode saga. I haven't yet seen a guest who made me skip an episode but if I did I'd just skip their episodes. This isn't a series where if you skip a couple it will prevent you understanding the plot. The character concerned hasn't really been mentioned much since.

Chroma Conclave arc... yep Matt loved this arc you can tell he was super proud of it - which is a positive and a negative as you can get indulgent. It had many layers to it making it quite dense but that can lead to slower sessions and slower progression. I think he learnt from it as his main arcs since haven't been quite so intensely structured and therefore make the campaign run at a better pace overall. I felt that arc was saggy in places (I could see where you could trim out some of the chunks of story that were not needed - the visit to Feywild gave us some fantastic moments but also some "trudging") but not enough to put me off it.

So I can see the criticisms but , for me, they aren't deal breakers.

As a person she just rubbed me the wrong way, thought she came across really forced and false. 

Her character was just dreadful. The constant “I’ll kill you/them” murder hobo attitude, the awful role play. Everyone pandering to her. Just bad. 

all in my own opinion, obviously. 

I had to go check I was thinking of the same person - she seemed to have an overly developed backstory/character arc that she was keen to get across (as opposed to other guests who while they have a character just "pass through" the story until it's reveal more organically 2-3 appearences later). It felt more like a "cross over" episode of a TV show than a guest appearence is how I'd describe it.

She was...twee though so I can see why she might grate.

31 minutes ago, Clipper said:

you know how you feel about Marisha Rey in campaign 1 @Hexx?

That

:D:D:D

You mean when I utterly wrong and turned out I just didn't get how "in character" she was for most of it - and it was the character I hated?

I think you mean how I feel about Talesin (now there's some wierd fans) all the time :)

I really should list to last 2 episodes - no commute in car has killed my podcast/audio book time

I personally found the Twiggy guest star (Deborah Ann Woll) way more annoying - partially because it felt like her whole appearance on the show was to pimp her own show on Geek and Sundry :D

It was only one episode though.

Keg (Ashley Birch) and Shakaste (Khary Peyton) were my favourite guest stars as they just sort of lolloped along with the story and just added to it instead of it revolving around them... Two very different approaches though - Ashley Birch being very "pro" player and just knitting in nicely whereas Khary was a total D&D newbie but played his socks off finding his way through it as he went.

1 minute ago, Clipper said:

I personally found the Twiggy guest star (Deborah Ann Woll) way more annoying - partially because it felt like her whole appearance on the show was to pimp her own show on Geek and Sundry :D

It was only one episode though.

Keg (Ashley Birch) and Shakaste (Khary Peyton) were my favourite guest stars as they just sort of lolloped along with the story and just added to it instead of it revolving around them... Two very different approaches though - Ashley Birch being very "pro" player and just knitting in nicely whereas Khary was a total D&D newbie but played his socks off finding his way through it as he went.

I found Twiggy annoying at that start (twee and sacrine) but she settled and just the once. Plus DAW seemed nice.

Ashley Birch is when I realised I really really disliked her. But soley because of Chloe in Life is Strange being the worst. Unfair to judge AB on that, but dem's the breaks. I don't make the rules :unsure:

Those 2 are good examples - I was thinking of the warlock and dwarf from the Slayer's Take in campaign 1 as good "guests".

On 22/04/2020 at 20:21, Doctor Shark said:

As a person she just rubbed me the wrong way, thought she came across really forced and false. 

Her character was just dreadful. The constant “I’ll kill you/them” murder hobo attitude, the awful role play. Everyone pandering to her. Just bad. 

all in my own opinion, obviously. 

The pandering was the worst bit because it broke the RP as they ended up playing around her character instead of her getting in where she fit in with the mighty nein like every other single guest that they have ever had on it and it took episodes after she had left for them to get back to their usual rhythm.

Joe MangoddamnJello would never!

That's a very good take on it and you're right. I tried to keep going for episodes after and it felt like all the wind had gone out of the sails, the cast were just bumbling about and it all seemed a bit pointless so I lost interest.

On 22/04/2020 at 17:30, Clipper said:

The community is toxic but then that is the case of most online "communities" that gather around a single show/idea. They all think they know the best way and those who are more "dedicated" tend to be most vocal and definitely obsessed! The Twitch chat is hilarious most of the time , if I ever switch it on. I follow the twitter accounts of the main cast and that is it really , the rest is just either scary or dangerously obsessed. Any snippets I do see are quite eye opening.

Micah Burton? She was quite irritating in terms of RP but it was three episodes in a 100 episode saga. I haven't yet seen a guest who made me skip an episode but if I did I'd just skip their episodes. This isn't a series where if you skip a couple it will prevent you understanding the plot. The character concerned hasn't really been mentioned much since.

Chroma Conclave arc... yep Matt loved this arc you can tell he was super proud of it - which is a positive and a negative as you can get indulgent. It had many layers to it making it quite dense but that can lead to slower sessions and slower progression. I think he learnt from it as his main arcs since haven't been quite so intensely structured and therefore make the campaign run at a better pace overall. I felt that arc was saggy in places (I could see where you could trim out some of the chunks of story that were not needed - the visit to Feywild gave us some fantastic moments but also some "trudging") but not enough to put me off it.

So I can see the criticisms but , for me, they aren't deal breakers.

Pretty much this..

The community for the first few years was generally a really positive, creative, charitable force, but as with every single online community has achieves a certain mass you get a certain number of awful, very vocal people trying to spoil it for everyone. The vast majority is very easily ignored..

@Doctor Shark Ironically you stopped pretty much *right at the end* of the Conclave arc.. ep #84 is the concluding battle and then it moves off in a new direction in #85 following a big event that shakes up the party..

Campaign 2 If you skip past Misha's episodes, again the story picks up quite a lot as the Angel of Irons Cult/Yasha start to snowball.. maybe skip to around ep #80.. (The Folding Halls)

On 22/04/2020 at 21:16, Hexx said:

I think you mean how I feel about Talesin (now there's some wierd fans) all the time :)

He's lovely in person though - of all of them I got to meet at MCM, he was the most personable (even more than Matt) and spent the most time in the autograph lines making sure everyone got a signature and a had a minute or so to chat and kept cheerful all day when the rest were a bit knackered and rushing through people to get done.

Oh and best guest star of Campaign 2 is clearly Sumalee :wub:. Another who'd never played but was immediately amazing and she'd clearly put some thought into Nila as she felt like a fully formed character from the moment she appeared.

I’ve warmed to Taliesin, mostly due to Caduceus being cool and him running the call of Cthulhu one shot, which I loved and got me into the game.

I do accept responsibility for making @Hexx hate him though. 

Sumalee was ace, as was Mark Hulmes purely for putting Caleb in his place regarding that bloody bowl lol

need more Darin de Paul

Right, I’m up to date.....

I’ll give the Doom one shot a go, then consider going back to campaign 1 as I bailed out at about ep65

More AWNP unplugged, Sam and Liam catch up with Ashley.. 

As usual there's a stupid expensive version of this art book (£125), but the basic version is at least sub £30 since it's being put out by a big publisher.. 

We've been watching this since it could be ages before Crit does episode 100 and absolutely love it. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Wickedkitten said:

Forgot to post but Dnd live was this weekend and all of the vods should be up on twitch.

And youtube now also - The Game of Thrones cast one in particular is worth a watch as the cast can't stop making each other (or the DM) laugh and it descends into chaos.. :D

24 minutes ago, MDY said:

And youtube now also - The Game of Thrones cast one in particular is worth a watch as the cast can't stop making each other (or the DM) laugh and it descends into chaos.. :D

ma shoe! I loved that one. Perkins’ ones were too damned short!

Of course Matt has a hell portal in his basement.. :lol:

Crit Role has had some fan take them to task over inclusivity and the toxic community. Something about being an inclusivity consultant about their racism and homophobia (?!?!?!) and them just ignoring the advice. They're investigating. To be honest, the fans massive tweet thread seems hard to pick through and a load of nonsense, but this is the world we live in now.