rllmuk
Doctor Shark

Critical Role - The new campaign

On 26/06/2020 at 18:09, Doctor Shark said:

Crit Role has had some fan take them to task over inclusivity and the toxic community. Something about being an inclusivity consultant about their racism and homophobia (?!?!?!) and them just ignoring the advice. They're investigating. To be honest, the fans massive tweet thread seems hard to pick through and a load of nonsense, but this is the world we live in now. 

It's difficult to work out exactly what this was (everything is he/she said conjecture) but the general consensus on various forums seems to be that a fan (who was seemingly a member of a pretty toxic 'fan' discord - in that they essentially 'hate watch' the show to try and find anything they can to pick at) who had taken offence at other fans being annoyed at their criticisms, offered some advice to someone on staff (no-one seems to know if it was solicited) but (they say) someone at CR was initially receptive to their thoughts. The issue came where later on they decided the problems with the community were too widespread and expected to become a full-time _paid_ consultant. That didn't happen and so they kept asking until they stopped getting replies. 

While we're on the subject of toxic though.. This is an example of what Laura has been getting since The Last of Us Part Two released.. Some gamers should be utterly ashamed of themselves..

Great to have it back again.. :D

We finally get C2 ep 100!

I’ve decided to get back on the horse with this but just stay the fuck away from twitter and the fan base, which had really ground me down. Jumped back in where I left off with episode 81. 

On 05/07/2020 at 19:47, MDY said:

It's difficult to work out exactly what this was (everything is he/she said conjecture) but the general consensus on various forums seems to be that a fan (who was seemingly a member of a pretty toxic 'fan' discord - in that they essentially 'hate watch' the show to try and find anything they can to pick at) who had taken offence at other fans being annoyed at their criticisms, offered some advice to someone on staff (no-one seems to know if it was solicited) but (they say) someone at CR was initially receptive to their thoughts. The issue came where later on they decided the problems with the community were too widespread and expected to become a full-time _paid_ consultant. That didn't happen and so they kept asking until they stopped getting replies. 

20200706_230725.thumb.jpg.591221b8435ad1fd5f732256a9436946.jpg

We watched Narrative Telephone last night and I'm just going to say Taliesin’s is every bit as good as I thought it was going to be :lol:

On 06/07/2020 at 23:08, Doctor Shark said:

20200706_230725.thumb.jpg.591221b8435ad1fd5f732256a9436946.jpg

This person sounds exactly like the type of person that makes their community toxic to the point even they have distanced themselves from it somewhat. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Wickedkitten said:

We watched Narrative Telephone last night and I'm just going to say Taliesin’s is every bit as good as I thought it was going to be :lol:

This person sounds exactly like the type of person that makes their community toxic to the point even they have distanced themselves from it somewhat. 

Yep. Such a toxic, entitled, demanding, "inclusive until someone steps out of line or says the wrong thing" circle jerk of shitbeards. 

• Upvote 1

Anyway, horrid community aside, I must admit I am enjoying being back into Critical Role. Watching episode 82, "The beat of the Permaheart". 

Merch is starting to snowball.. 

Funko stuff and now McFarlane figures.. (Well.. one anyway.. ) 

Sculpt is lovely.. and I suppose Molly was always better as a design than he got a chance to be as a character.. 

Next level trolling by Sam.. :lol:

Bit of a Mercer-fest this week...

He was on UK games journo turned Hollywood screenwriter Gary Whitta's 'Animal Talking' show alongside Josh Gad and Alex Winter.

(Ashley and Laura are confirmed to be appearing on an upcoming episode together..)

He also played a charity one-shot DM'd by The Adventure Zone's Travis McElroy.. 

..and he's doing another this Saturday.. as Vampire lord Strahd!

Up to episode 86 - The Cathedral. The gang arrive in Rexxuntrum to no doubt fuck stuff up.

Good to be back into it. Avoiding the community side doing wonders. Mad to think I've got another 15 episodes to catch up, whereas when I stopped watching I was completely up to date. Christ, if it hadn't been for lockdown, I'd be even further behind!

I watched the Taliesin episode of narrative telephone and was in fits of laughter at times. I need to check out the earlier episodes.

This week's ep.. 102

Not a spoiler for the show itself.. more an explanation for certain item of clothing.. you'll know which one.. :lol:

Spoiler

as for the session itself?

GOD LEVEL DMing

Absolute master class in the loooooooooooooooooo(there aren't enough o's)oooooong game

And incredibly well crafted moment... He even tried to avoid the reveal as he forced a sleight of hand AND a dex check on it. Masterly.

mild spoilers

I don't believe he had it all mapped out from the beginning of Campaign 1 to that level. However, whenever he built/wrote it into this campaign? it was a masterly stroke of genius!

• Upvote 1

Episode 102

Spoiler

..was fun watching them cotton on.. 

Though Sam did have to read it in the chat first.. (and people in there had guessed correctly last ep!) 

Sam can't have read it in the chat because the ep was prerecorded, luckily things are shut down but they are ahead by two weeks on the eps.

On 21/07/2020 at 12:06, Wickedkitten said:

Sam can't have read it in the chat because the ep was prerecorded, luckily things are shut down but they are ahead by two weeks on the eps.

Sam was reading the chat for Ep100 (being broadcast as they were onsite playing Ep102..) Chat guessed correctly the moment that person was introduced.. :D

The cast are on the Syfy channel this week, debating D&D, high fantasy and more on The Great Debate (Thurs 30th)

(Unfortunately, it's on during the live broadcast of the latest CR episode..) :doh:

Episode 103

Laura joins Liam and Sam for the last unplugged of the series.. 

20 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

I hope they do some more one shots soon, even if in other games systems. 

They've still to do a couple that were part of the Kickstarter Stretch goals.. Ashley was going to do one and there was a VM vs M9 one as well..

Spoiler for 100-current

Spoiler

They probably won't get a better story-led opportunity to cross over the two campaigns than accompanying their new friend back to Tal'dorei.. 

• Upvote 1