rllmuk
Gotters

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

I finished Katana Zero and liked it, whereas I could never bring myself to see the Messenger through to the end. It's very NES-y.

Katana Zero is a solid 7/10 for me - a bit too much style over substance, perhaps, but it looks gorgeous and controls very well. Doesn't outstay its welcome, either.

Blacksea oddysey looks good and it's only 3 quid....not sure v avid twin stock shooters though.

Fuse looks an interesting programming tool but not sure how much my 13 and 11 year old would learn from it

1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

Just logged on and realised I had 2600 unused points 

How?! That's something like 40 full price games.

Heave Ho is great even in single player, lovely controls and can see how it could be great in local multiplayer with the mechanic - each shoulder button controls one hand grabbing a surface and the stick rotates you.

so simple but a lot to it

13 hours ago, shirubagan said:

I wasn’t a fan of The Messenger. I liked the first part, but then I didn’t enjoy it after the change. 

Same, but the first part was great! The bosses were fantastic and the laser time temple was brilliant.

9 hours ago, the_debaser said:

I think I got bonus points with some digital purchases. 

Ah, yeah - actually, I got 500 with Link's Awakening so yeah, I could see that now.

19 hours ago, deerokus said:

As for Katana Zero and The Messenger, they're more different than they appear. Katana Zero is basically side scrolling Hotline Miami, while The Messenger is heavily influenced by NES Ninja Gaiden initially but overall has a lot more to it and feels more inventive. Both are very cool though I prefer The Messenger, love that game. 

I'm thinking of getting Katana Zero and saw your comment about Hotline Miami.

It is as challenging as Hotline Miami? Because even though I liked that game, I had to give up as it was just too difficult and then became frustrating for me to carry on.

I was really hoping for discounts on Lapis X Labyrinth or Daemon X Machina in the sale- can’t really justify them at those pretty high prices at the moment. Just have to hope there’s another sale soon :/

58 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

It is as challenging as Hotline Miami? Because even though I liked that game, I had to give up as it was just too difficult and then became frustrating for me to carry on.

It's similar in premise but it is not as difficult.  Finished it in about 6-7 hours in quick sessions.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, grounded_dreams said:

Nah it's not as hard as that. Has a similar feel though. You can sometimes sort of mash your way through a more difficult bit in a way you can't in Hotline Miami. 

• Upvote 1

Sigh. 

My kids joycon is drifting up quite badly - I thought they had changed the design to fix this? What was the forum solution again? Is it WD-40 in the stick slot?

I picked up Ori and Heave Ho in the end, as well as Radiant Historia on the 3DS. The sale runs until the second of Jan so Detention, The Gardens Between and Sayonara are all getting bought with December's pay cheque.

I'm tempted to get FFs VIII and IX but the lack of achievement support on the Switch is putting me off. Plus, they're both still a tenner each.

59 minutes ago, Alshie said:

Sigh. 

My kids joycon is drifting up quite badly - I thought they had changed the design to fix this? What was the forum solution again? Is it WD-40 in the stick slot?

Not WD40, it's evil - use electrical contact cleaner. You can buy a kit contains a pair of replacement stick units and the correct screwdrivers from Amazon for about £10, so that might be worth considering if the contact cleaner doesn't give you a long-term fix. The root cause is degradation of the carbon contact pads within the stick unit, so it'll probably reoccur even after the contact cleaner.

25 minutes ago, Phil said:

Not WD40, it's evil - use electrical contact cleaner. You can buy a kit contains a pair of replacement stick units and the correct screwdrivers from Amazon for about £10, so that might be worth considering if the contact cleaner doesn't give you a long-term fix. The root cause is degradation of the carbon contact pads within the stick unit, so it'll probably reoccur even after the contact cleaner.

Thanks - I’ll check that out.

Blasphemous has a demo now (I think that's new?) and it's given me a bizarre problem I've never had before - I'm not sure I enjoy playing it but then an hour later I'm desperate to get back and try again. I've already deleted and redownloaded twice.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Michael J Glocks said:

Downwell’s well worth £1.34 and you can play it in tate mode handheld.

I had this already, but today was the first time I really sunk some time into it. Really good stuff and looks lovely in tate mode. 

19 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Detention, The Gardens Between and Sayonara are all getting bought with December's pay cheque.

I picked up The gardens between on this sale....so far am disappointingly finding very little actual gameplay in the levels.

15 minutes ago, mwaawm said:

I picked up The gardens between on this sale....so far am disappointingly finding very little actual gameplay in the levels.

I was all up for getting it originally, then I read a few comments similar to yours so I took it off my list, but then I listened to TCGS's GOTY show for 2018, where it got to the semi-finals or something similar, and that piqued my interest once more. For the £4 or whatever it is that it costs, I don't mind taking a risk on it.

I've been inspired to give Detention a go after reading @BadgerFarmer's Time Extend on it in last month's Edge.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

I had this already, but today was the first time I really sunk some time into it. Really good stuff and looks lovely in tate mode. 

Keep playing it until the end. It's a fantastic challenge.

I played The Gardens Between on GamePass. It gets more involved as you go on so don't worry too much about it seeming too basic early on. At first it seems like you don't do much but rewind and fast forward without really thinking about it but there are some head scratchers later on. 

I didn't think it was a great game if I'm honest but it's a good one.