rllmuk
Gotters

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

6 hours ago, mdn2 said:

Xenon Racer is just over a quid on the Russian eshop. It's not a game I'd be interested in because of the poor reviews, but apparently it's been patched to an 'acceptable' level so it's worth a punt at that price. 

After a 15 minute playthrough it seems...ok. It has a choice between Performance Mode or Graphics Mode. I tried Performance Mode and it seemed relatively stable. Did a couple of races and enjoyed it. Worth the £1.20 I paid. 

Isn't What The Golf out for Switch?

Not yet it seems - still showing as coming soon on their webpage 

10 hours ago, mdn2 said:

Xenon Racer is just over a quid on the Russian eshop. It's not a game I'd be interested in because of the poor reviews, but apparently it's been patched to an 'acceptable' level so it's worth a punt at that price. 

I bought this a few months ago for a fiver. I'm a big fan of arcade racers and I think there's a very competent arcade racer in there. The high difficulty and idiosyncratic drifting are fairly big barriers to entry and I suspect many here would bounce right off it after 5 minutes and declare it shit (not an insult, but it's become clear over time that there aren't many on this forum interested in learning the ins and outs of a new arcade racer, as opposed to wanting another Burnout 2, Outrun 2 or some other classic), but it isn't. If you're willing to put time in, learn the mechanics and overcome the barriers to entry it's quite rewarding. I do wish they hadn't gone with the health bar system. It pushes the difficulty up a lot and means if you don't get good enough to drive consistently well the game is basically no fun. I nearly wrote it off at one point but the more I played I realised that there is a good arcade racer to be enjoyed after the intial frustration/frontloaded difficulty.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Parappa said:

Isn't What The Golf out for Switch?

Not yet it seems - still showing as coming soon on their webpage 

This is a truly brilliant game.

4 hours ago, DC Lemon said:

Cobra Triangle. It’s on Rare Replay.

Yesssss, thank you! 

12 hours ago, suzzopher said:

This service is so good. They’ve not played it safe, so many deep cuts. All four of these are worth playing. Three are you’d happily spend money on if they were available to purchase.

Out of interest, which of the NES games is the one you rate, there? I've not played either so don't know which is the good one.

Delighted with Smash Tennis. Had a nightmare trying to get a ROM of it that played nice on the SNES Mini, thanks to the only English language option being 50Hz, so getting a rock solid version - and available on the go no less! - is ideal.

6 hours ago, mdn2 said:

After a 15 minute playthrough it seems...ok. It has a choice between Performance Mode or Graphics Mode. I tried Performance Mode and it seemed relatively stable. Did a couple of races and enjoyed it. Worth the £1.20 I paid. 

Just think, it was originally fuil price...

43 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Out of interest, which of the NES games is the one you rate, there? I've not played either so don't know which is the good one.

Delighted with Smash Tennis. Had a nightmare trying to get a ROM of it that played nice on the SNES Mini, thanks to the only English language option being 50Hz, so getting a rock solid version - and available on the go no less! - is ideal.

Shadow of the Ninja is an excellent action platform game, probably as good as Ninja Gaiden.

Eliminator Boat Duel is a fun game and one I’d never thought I’d see again on any service, it’s such a deep cut. The last two NES games were both of high quality too, Crystalis and Journey to Silius.

I was never interested in run & gun games as a youngster so their belated discovery in my late-thirties is a bit of a revelation. Just started Blazing Chrome and it's fucking brilliant.

The actual racing is enjoyable, but the menus and presentation are soulless. It's a good demonstration of just how important the aesthetic elements of Psygnosis's racers were, in fact.

Worth £8, I'd say, but expect all the ambience of a spreadsheet.

• Upvote 1

I was tempted by Grip from the original release, as it reminded me so much of PS1 Rollcage.

BUT.... i deal with enough spreadsheets during work hours, so I dont think i'd cope well with the menus.

Tempted by Fire Emblem: Four Candles and Wolfenstein 2, but probably not enough to buy both. 

I’m going to Berlin for the weekend and taking the Switch so I’d probably better not buy the latter, upon reflection. 

Fire Emblem worth it at £33? Have enjoyed previous games while never being hardcore into them like I was Advance Wars.

12 minutes ago, friedgold said:

Fire Emblem worth it at £33? Have enjoyed previous games while never being hardcore into them like I was Advance Wars.

In terms of content there's plenty of value. Depends how much you think you'll get into all the social links and castle activities side of things, because it can take up a lot of the time in between battles. If you want the focus of old school FE or Advance Wars, you might find there's too much other stuff to wade through.

• Upvote 1

Oooh sounds okay tbh. As I constantly bang on about on here, long, meandering games are my absolute jam on Switch. I quite liked all that guff in Persona4 too.

58 minutes ago, Popo said:

Tempted by Fire Emblem: Four Candles 

Is that the one where you choose between the Barkers or Corbetts to see which is funnier?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, friedgold said:

I abandoned it after about 20 hours. The battles are fun, it repetitive, but all the shite in between was looooooong, and boring. I'd recommend picking up a retail copy so you can sell it on if you discover it's not your bag.