IGNORED

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

Gotters

image.png.ae9e9ae6a753d6243cf2dd6e7ed4141b.png

If anyone is still confused by this one let me try.

We have a 10 wide grid in the puzzle from murder by numbers.

We know a single run of 7 goes in there.

7 is more than half 10.

The furthest left it can start here is 1 (B).  The furthest right it can start and still fit is 4 (E)

E,F,G and H are common to these so wherever it starts, these 4 are going to be filled in.

In fact, for any single one, if it's more than half you can fill in something and it's always "Leave however many each side that the number is less than the width"

7 is 3 fewer than 10, so you leave 3 at each side and the middle is done.

This works even for one with numbers over half even if it's 1 7 say.  That adds up to 8 (9 with the gap you're going to need to have)

So it either starts in B or C.

image.png.c49eefad5869330ecbb49946275f0c69.png

And since you know that you can actually fill in E to J since however that's arranged in the line it's filled in.

24 minutes ago, deKay said:

I thought it did but then @iknowgungfu posted up there so maybe not.

There is a decent tutorial.  I think the mistake I made was playing when really tired. I stopped after the tutorial part finished and forgot one of the strategies it teaches you. I've been playing this morning and rattled through a few more. 

It's very satisfying to solve them so I can see the attraction and fuss over picross games now.

The dialogue is quite funny in places and for those who appreciate it the characters so far seem quite diverse (only on the first case though).  It's nice to see and it doesn't really seem to be waving any kind of wokeness flag either - just seems natural.

The skipping dialogue does happen occasionally though which is a little annoying.

Enjoying murder by numbers . The only thing that is frustrating is the lack of an undo button* . More than once I have realised that I have gone wrong in the last 10 moves or so and I end up wiping the whole board because I can’t backtrack .

*waits for this to be one of those “didn’t you know about the undo button?” Moments 

1 hour ago, PeteBrant said:

Enjoying murder by numbers . The only thing that is frustrating is the lack of an undo button* . More than once I have realised that I have gone wrong in the last 10 moves or so and I end up wiping the whole board because I can’t backtrack .

*waits for this to be one of those “didn’t you know about the undo button?” Moments 

I've felt that a number of times too. Sometimes you know it's just gone wrong and can't remember what you just did.

Then again, when you can figure it out, fixing a mistake in Picross without erasing everything is often the most satisfying aspect.

37 minutes ago, deKay said:

Not sure any Picross game I’ve played has an undo button. To undo you just rub out.

Voxelgram has a stepped undo/redo on the shoulder buttons which I’ve found really helpful on a number of occasions.

11 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

What’s the best Switch Picross game and do they let you use the touchscreen? Anything that isn’t as straightforward as playing it on the DS puts me off.

S/S2/S3 let you but it’s much, much better with the dpad on all Picross games.

2 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

I've had quite a few complete do overs.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Not sure any Picross game I’ve played has an undo button. To undo you just rub out.

I'm ploughing through the konami one on my phone and it has and undo and redo button.

This is the first picross game I've played and it's rather addictive.

On 15/03/2020 at 09:18, joffocakes said:

I felt that the difficulty of Murder By Numbers' puzzles increased a little too quickly. 

Yeah, but there are fewer in total, I expect. You do get to what I call 'sparse' puzzles quite quickly, with a lot of 1-3 pointers, where you have to place 'X' markers in order to reduce your options/split a line into sections that rule out a specific arrangement and nail down one end of the line.

Some really minor UX irritations - if you do screw up a puzzle, it looks like you need to return to the main screen and load the last auto save. IF you're allowed to  - at one point I had to play through the tutorial again after accidentally starting the first case again instead of the last.

Too easy to repeat conversations with no option to back out, as has been pointed. Most are short enough.

Well worth a punt. Some nice characters, some tricky Picrossing. If you're new to Picross and get stuck on this, but do find you like the puzzling, try one of the earlier Picross S games as a trainer; they're cheap enough on Switch.

Edit: and a glitch where it failed to recognise a correct solution; this was on a puzzle saved part-way through - some of the fully completed lines were no longer recognised as correct and showed black numbers. De-selecting an 'X' in each row fixed it.

On 16/03/2020 at 10:18, smac said:

Edit: and a glitch where it failed to recognise a correct solution; this was on a puzzle saved part-way through - some of the fully completed lines were no longer recognised as correct and showed black numbers. De-selecting an 'X' in each row fixed it.

Yeah, happened again. So if you save with a puzzle in progress, it forgets the state for solved blocks in the puzzle (all the grey numbers revert to black) and it might not recognise that the puzzle is solved when you complete it. You can easily fix it by toggling squares in each row to get it to re-check the row.

24 minutes ago, Ed-E said:

Thanks for all the Murder by Numbers love here - means a lot to me and the team (and thanks @Laine for clueing me in to this thread!)

We're aware that there are a couple of QoL issues we overlooked and a few instances where things are a bit screwy, so we're taking notes. The Murder by Numbers team has been temporarily reassigned to other projects until we know what the future holds, but we're hopeful of getting the chance to address the more egregious issues sooner rather than later.

It's a fantastic game Ed - I've only finished the first chapter so far, but if the others are as well written as that I'm in for a real treat.

4 hours ago, smac said:

Having polished off the main story, I agree wholeheartedly; Murder by Numbers is a great little game. Moar, plz. Loved the characters, and the generally positive vibe.

...apart from all the murders ;) 

5 hours ago, Ed-E said:

Thanks for all the Murder by Numbers love here - means a lot to me and the team (and thanks @Laine for clueing me in to this thread!)

We're aware that there are a couple of QoL issues we overlooked and a few instances where things are a bit screwy, so we're taking notes. The Murder by Numbers team has been temporarily reassigned to other projects until we know what the future holds, but we're hopeful of getting the chance to address the more egregious issues sooner rather than later.

Best game of year so far, great job :)