rllmuk
Gotters

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

Hyper Light Drifter on sale too. 

Yes, loved it too. One of the best pixel art games I've ever played.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Gotters said:

Bomb chicken is 50% off so taken a punt on that.

It’s a great game!

• Upvote 1

Void bastards was great on game pass, switch seems a perfect format for it. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

Yes, loved it too. One of the best pixel art games I've ever played.

How hard is it? I like the look of it, but don't have the conviction to put the time into a harder game unless it tickles nostalgia feels.

Void Bastards looks great! Looks a bit Borderlands, how long is it? Decent whack of story?

3 hours ago, drmick said:

How hard is it? I like the look of it, but don't have the conviction to put the time into a harder game unless it tickles nostalgia feels.

Some of the extra challenges are hard but the main story isn't that difficult. I really enjoyed it. Fantastic music, art style and atmosphere.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CovisGod said:

Void Bastards looks great! Looks a bit Borderlands, how long is it? Decent whack of story?

It's a rogue like. I haven't played it in a while so I'll mangle the description, but you progress through space picking through derelicts evading/shooting foes in randomly generated maps while building up skills and that. It's be worth have a look at a quick let's play or summat.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, drmick said:

It's not too hard. I remember one of the bosses, or sub bosses, taking a few goes but we're talking about ten attempts rather than gazillions. There's exploring and unlocking of areas to be done but by and large if you keep prodding at the edges you will find your way around. It sort of felt like a retro sci-fi Zelda to me. Absolutely beautiful audio and world design.

This’ll sound daft but my abiding memory of Hyper Light Drifter (I loved it too) is how quickly it ends, and I say that as a positive. No big cutscene or gimmicks - here’s a big lad, kill him or don’t. 

It reminded me of watching Die Hard fairly recently because the lack of fluff around the ending in that too is so refreshingly different to most modern action films that it really stands out. 

• Upvote 2

For some reason Hyper Light Drifter completely passed me by. Was it an old Xbox Live game? i always assumed it was some sort of rhythm action from the title. But it looks... wonderful.

No it was the big indie darling from a few years ago. I didn't get it myself. I don't think it's bad or anything, it just never clicked.

I’m trying to change region to buy something cheaper from Brazil.  However the site won’t let me, googling suggests it’s because I have 33p of credit saved due to Eshop purchases. I can’t burn this as by buying more stuff using it up I’ll generate more credit. Similarly they’ll be the issue of changing it back. 

Ive done this before but dint remember this issue, maybe it was before they started giving credit for buying digits games. Is there a way around this other than creating a new account for that region?

Unless you can get hold of a Brazilian pre-paid card you still won't be able to buy. Shops are assigned a rough region (Europe includes South Africa) so a UK resident can use their bank card on the Russian or South African store, but not the USA or Canadian store. A US resident would be able to buy from Mexico and other South American countries but not elsewhere.

Pre paid vouchers are readily available for some places (US, Canada, Japan), but I think you'll struggle to find anything for Brazil.

Ah ok. Darn, cheapest eshop prices seem to be South America at the mo

South Africa generally has the best prices and you can use your card there.

6 minutes ago, Sane said:

South Africa generally has the best prices and you can use your card there.

Will you get charged for an exchange rate fee? Think that happened to me when I bought a game off the Russian store and the hit made it almost the same cost as UK eshop so I haven't bothered since

I think that depends on your card provider. Mine doesn't charge for it. 

On 06/05/2020 at 08:39, Jamie John said:

How old is your son? It's not really a game I'd recommend to children, not because of violence or swearing or anything like that, but I think you need to be of a certain age and to have a decent understanding of the history of videogames to get the jokes, which is essentially all the game is; the actual gameplay is paper thin.

On 06/05/2020 at 08:59, Twinbee said:

He's 12 and a half. He's fairly well-versed in older games, as we still have SNES, Gamecube, Xbox, Spectrum, GBA, etc in the house.

He also likes games that are just a bit mad. He got surprisingly good at Trap Adventure 2.

A friend of mine has a child younger than 12 and he loves Undertale. You could try out deltarune:Chapter 1 to see if he likes the style (it's free but Undertale enthusiasts would probably counsel you to play Undertale first because otherwise you miss a few callbacks even though it's not a prequel or sequel.)

deltarune uses the phrase

Piss off

twice but it doesn't really get more adult than that.

• Upvote 1

Finally picked up Bomb Chicken in the sale. It's well designed, with great controls, it's a lot of fun and I feel it's not going to outstay it's welcome.

• Upvote 1

I thought I might try SmileBASIC 4 while I have some time off. But it isn't on the e-shop. Does anyone know why?

4 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

I thought I might try SmileBASIC 4 while I have some time off. But it isn't on the e-shop. Does anyone know why?

https://nintendosoup.com/smilebasic-4-taken-down-from-the-european-eshop/

SmileBASIC 4, an application that allows you to make your games with the BASIC programming language, has been removed from the European Nintendo eShop.

According to the application’s developer, SmileBASIC 4 was taken down due to an age rating issue with IARC. It is still available for sale on the US, Canadian, Mexican, and Japanese Nintendo eShop.

• Upvote 1

Some games pop up any day, but the bulk are Thursday at 2PM

• Upvote 1

Not quite - the discount is only for those that already own other titles from Forever Entertainment - but some of those are really cheap (stuff like Timberman VS)

6 minutes ago, kempstar said:

Hang on a sec... did this come out already??

It came out in March this year.