rllmuk
Gotters

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

10 hours ago, deerokus said:

Cosmic Star Heroine is a couple of quid, it's a good chrono trigger-ish rpg from the Breath of Death/Cthulu Saves The World dev. Thing I like about is that it has a fun and unique combat system and for a 16 bit style rpg is really quick and snappy, no long cutscenes, gets you into combat right away, when you die you just instantly restart the battle with no loading. 

That looks lovely, thanks for the recommendation!

Just picked up Hyper Light Drifter and completely hating it at the moment tbh. If it weren’t for the Disasterpeace soundtrack I would have binned it.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Just picked up Hyper Light Drifter and completely hating it at the moment tbh. If it weren’t for the Disasterpeace soundtrack I would have binned it.

:hmm:

16 minutes ago, therearerules said:

:hmm::hmm:

Honestly, it’s difficulty and inscrutability bore me. I thought I’d be dashing around in a fun crazy manner, like a top down Sundered, but the rests between dashes put paid to that. Instead I just walk into a room and get swarmed by a dozen enemies.

8 minutes ago, therearerules said:

I thought I’d be dashing around in a fun crazy manner

You start off with basic skills then you can buy upgrades in the town, some of which improve your dash.

They actually patched in invincibility frame(s) to the dash and made warp points replenish your heals to make the game fairer. I think it nails the challenge rather than being difficult for the sake of it.

8 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

You start off with basic skills then you can buy upgrades in the town, some of which improve your dash.

They actually patched in invincibility frame(s) to the dash and made warp points replenish your heals to make the game fairer. I think it nails the challenge rather than being difficult for the sake of it.

Really? Because I’m currently dying to a room full of beasts, where plenty more spawn when they’re dead, with 3 health. Maybe I’m not meant to be going this way but who knows? It feels pointlessly punishing. And I’m sure not having fun.

edit warped to town, not enough gold to upgrade and heals didn’t replenish. Warped back and all enemies had respawned! Uninstalled 

6 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Maybe I’m not meant to be going this way

Theres not really a wrong way, only the south area is blocked off; north, west and east are all open to you so you could try going a different direction and see if you fare better.

Does anyone have the link to that website that shows games on sale and their review scores? I think it was PSN specific, but then expanded to cover Switch as well? Ta. 

Trawling through pages of sale games and trying to work out if they are shovelware or mobile ports is a chore...

10 minutes ago, Mitchell said:

Does anyone have the link to that website that shows games on sale and their review scores? I think it was PSN specific, but then expanded to cover Switch as well? Ta. 

Trawling through pages of sale games and trying to work out if they are shovelware or mobile ports is a chore...

Eshop Prices shows the meta scores of certain games, usually only if they've got at least a few reviews, though 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Mitchell said:

I'm guessing it's psprices.com.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Mitchell said:

eshop prices does that now:

https://eshop-prices.com/games/on-sale?currency=GBP&sort_by=score&direction=desc

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mitchell said:

Deku Deals has metacritic scores.

Got NBA 2K20 for free essentially with gold points, so even if it is turd I don't feel short changed. 

2 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Got NBA 2K20 for free essentially with gold points, so even if it is turd I don't feel short changed. 

I paid about £1.50 for it. It must be worth that!

Anyone tried Ion Fury on the switch?

Decent fun?

English version of 51 Worldwide Classics video is now out. 

Looking forward to some forum based games. 

• Upvote 2

My son is playing the demo of Moving Out and laughing his head off.  Has anyone bought the full game and can give me their thoughts on it?  It looks a bit like Overcooked which was fun but you seemed to hit a wall if you were only 1/2 players (or that was just us and we're a bit shit!)

In other news, AC is lovely and will probably cost me a Switch Lite or two as my wife & daughter are now addicted!  They've been on it so much that I've only just be able to upgrade from a Tent to a House.

• Upvote 1

I was thinking of getting 51 Worldwide Classics as a way to finally learn how to play Mahjong. How different is Riichi Mahjong to ‘regular’ (or to be more specific, Chinese) Mahjong.

I don’t want to learn how to play it and then end up being laughed out the room (and fleeced of all my money) if I actually play it against my friends.

21 hours ago, wretcherd said:

Theres not really a wrong way, only the south area is blocked off; north, west and east are all open to you so you could try going a different direction and see if you fare better.

I started again on easy mode, and got on better. Also upgraded dash so I could run around like a lunatic. 2 bosses down now, still not really sure what's going on. I understand some people love this game, but I can't help but feel that it could be so much more, if it was just more generous. With the timing of dash chaining as well as with health (a lot of people reference Dark Souls as 'difficult game you learn from', but forget that Dark Souls actually started relatively gently, heavily nudged you in the right direction, and most importantly restarted you with full health and estus packs after each death (by the time curse came around the game already had hooks in you).

I didn't get on with it when I played it on pc a few years ago, it's frustrating. 

6 hours ago, bradigor said:

I’ve got 70 hours on it and I’ve barely scratched it. It’s got its quirks, but it’s fairly solid - it’s relatively easy to ignore the shitty “neighbourhood” stuff and just play a game of basketball. 

6 minutes ago, ben-k said:

I’ve got 70 hours on it and I’ve barely scratched it. It’s got its quirks, but it’s fairly solid - it’s relatively easy to ignore the shitty “neighbourhood” stuff and just play a game of basketball. 

Any good guides out there for learning best way to play? Been ages  since the last time. 

I've set play calling to full auto, with full play art. I also set shooting to real player %. But need a refresher on the high percentage areas for shooting and best ways to defend. 

Never mind best - how do you defend? Any time I press a button I seem to foul. My only strategy has been to try not to do anything.

5 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Never mind best - how do you defend? Any time I press a button I seem to foul. My only strategy has been to try not to do anything.

Close enough. You don't want to be stealing all the time. Stand off and try to force plays into low percentage areas. Or wait for them to shoot and block. You want to mak shooting as hard as possible, not just stop the chance to shoot. Do that each and every time and they get easier shots. 

One thing I learned was to control one player in defence and stick to their role. Don't always get touch tight either, as you don't get the time to react when they make a move. 

6 hours ago, Ivanho said:

My son is playing the demo of Moving Out and laughing his head off.  Has anyone bought the full game and can give me their thoughts on it?  It looks a bit like Overcooked which was fun but you seemed to hit a wall if you were only 1/2 players (or that was just us and we're a bit shit!)

In other news, AC is lovely and will probably cost me a Switch Lite or two as my wife & daughter are now addicted!  They've been on it so much that I've only just be able to upgrade from a Tent to a House.

I’ve had a lot of fun with it in both multi and single player modes. A few frustrations — odd clipping and obscure goals and the like — but I’m pretty happy with it. Video thoughts below.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, bradigor said:

Close enough. You don't want to be stealing all the time. Stand off and try to force plays into low percentage areas. Or wait for them to shoot and block. You want to mak shooting as hard as possible, not just stop the chance to shoot. Do that each and every time and they get easier shots. 

One thing I learned was to control one player in defence and stick to their role. Don't always get touch tight either, as you don't get the time to react when they make a move. 

If you do find any good beginners guides please let me know... I am pretty clueless. I did get one great moment where there were seconds left on the clock and I got a steal and chance to score to tie it up. The crowd went crazy. Needless to say I missed the easy shot and lost. Atmosphere is really well done. Handheld is where it's at. 

• Upvote 1