rllmuk
Gotters

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

I downloaded NBA2K also, as it was next to nothing.  Did not expect it to be so ridiculously massive in size.  What kind of compression technology are these guys using?

I had to archive 4 games in order to fit it on my MicroSD.  Be warned.

I know not a lot about basketball but as I understand the game, generally when people attack they score so what Bradigor says makes perfect sense, try and force them into an area where, when the shot clock gets low, they're going to have to take a punt from and make them miss more than you do.

(I've not gone mad right? Basketball has a shot clock?)

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I know not a lot about basketball but as I understand the game, generally when people attack they score so what Bradigor says makes perfect sense, try and force them into an area where, when the shot clock gets low, they're going to have to take a punt from and make them miss more than you do.

(I've not gone mad right? Basketball has a shot clock?)

You are correct. It's the player selection that seems weird to me. Also I'll be doing what I think is a reasonable job and then they just run past me and dunk it in to an unguarded basket. Having fun though. 

• Upvote 1

What the Golf is brilliant, probably the best thing on Apple Arcade.

EDIT: Very much a touch screen game though - can’t imagine what it would be like with controllers.

It’s much better with touchscreen. I began playing it on Apple TV using my PS4 pad and enjoyed it plenty enough, but when I started playing it on my iPhone it was even better. I loved having to rotate the phone around in order to change it from landscape to portrait depending on what was needing done. Very clever.

And obviously the aiming and power gauge are a lot more fun with the tactility of touchscreen as opposed to doing the same with sticks.

Yes, it’s such a tactile little game, pinging the ball never gets old. Presumably you could play it that way on the Switch as an option...I don’t imagine the Switch screen is nice to use by a long chalk, mind.

Rise: Race To The Future is getting a huge update. 

rise-race-the-future-chart.jpg

• Upvote 3

Interesting. I can’t help but feel they’re focusing on the wrong things though. The game already looks great and has the most solid frame rate on the switch. And it really didn’t need that update to let you fiddle with the car settings.

What it needs is a decent online time trial mode, more areas, more game modes, more cars etc.

Maybe some of those will be in this update as well. Fingers crossed.

Great update on the SNES Online app thing. First time I’ve played Panel de Pon and I immediately like it and also my first dabble with the original Wild Guns which is just as good as I remember the Reloaded version I paid too much for being. No playable dog but still solid. 

• Upvote 1

Just worked out the main thing I was doing wrong in NBA 2K over the years. 

Spoiler

Using the Detroit Pistons religiously

I have rectified that and found it a bit easier. 

• Upvote 1

On 18/05/2020 at 15:48, therearerules said:

I started again on easy mode, and got on better. Also upgraded dash so I could run around like a lunatic. 2 bosses down now, still not really sure what's going on. I understand some people love this game, but I can't help but feel that it could be so much more, if it was just more generous. With the timing of dash chaining as well as with health (a lot of people reference Dark Souls as 'difficult game you learn from', but forget that Dark Souls actually started relatively gently, heavily nudged you in the right direction, and most importantly restarted you with full health and estus packs after each death (by the time curse came around the game already had hooks in you).

I’ve just restarted on easy mode after getting thrashed repeatedly by the first boss I encountered. 

I don’t have the reactions or patience I did as a teenager. I just want to pootle around a weird, dead world and listen to woozy synth music. 

Actually, I could just put the soundtrack on my headphones and go for a walk if I wanted that…

• Upvote 1

I think even though you're free to go in different directions in HLD, some are easier than others. IIRC the easiest boss was the eastern one.

Hyper light drifter is a challenging action game. I saw a few pages ago people were saying it's not hard, but it definitely is compared to most games.

Yeah, I completed HLD the other day on easy mode, which felt the perfect difficulty. No compulsion to go back and mop up any secrets though.

Also completed wacky Japanese horror visual novel Death Mark, actually really enjoyed it, but not worth playing twice.

And I believe the Civ VI 3rd expansion/season pass thing is out today!

1 hour ago, therearerules said:

And I believe the Civ VI 3rd expansion/season pass thing is out today!

Oh, Switch is getting that!? I heard it was coming but assumed we might see it in 18 months.

Only just realised that the 2pm eshop update is the biggest highlight of my week and has been for the last two months.

Currently sitting on my sofa scrolling through my wishlist hoping something’s going to get a big discount in half an hour.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 2

Is there a decent website to browse the latest games to go on sale? Eshop itself is a little slow. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

Indeed it is!

...and already multiple reports of it causing issues! I’ll hold off for now I think, I’d forgotten this happened the last time. 

Ha! I’ve just downloaded it, raced through a Kongo culture win so I could play it 

51 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

Indeed it is!

...and already multiple reports of it causing issues! I’ll hold off for now I think, I’d forgotten this happened the last time. 

And it's broken :(

Ah well.

On 20/05/2020 at 14:41, ZOK said:

Yes, it’s such a tactile little game, pinging the ball never gets old. Presumably you could play it that way on the Switch as an option...I don’t imagine the Switch screen is nice to use by a long chalk, mind.

I've had about an hours play on it today using the Switch touch screen and I've not found it an issue. Helps that you can touch anywhere to do the gauge so you don't have to block too much of the screen. I had a quick go using the stick and touch screen is definitely the better option.

1 hour ago, keptbybees said:

I've had about an hours play on it today using the Switch touch screen and I've not found it an issue. Helps that you can touch anywhere to do the gauge so you don't have to block too much of the screen. I had a quick go using the stick and touch screen is definitely the better option.

Yes sorry, I meant to write ‘AS nice to use’, I’m sure it’s perfectly fine, but the tactile nature of the iPhone’s smooth screen is something else.

It's not very obvious but 'Namco Museum Arcade Pac' isn't a separate game from Namco Museum it's just a bundle which includes Pac Man CE2. All three are in the sale but it's couple of quid cheaper that way than buying separately if you want them all. 

3 hours ago, therearerules said:

And it's broken :(

Ah well.

In what way? Were you playing a new game or an existing save?

2 hours ago, Yasawas said:

In what way? Were you playing a new game or an existing save?

Tried a new game- error messages. Scenarios still work (although are buggy)

Thankfully nothing much of note in the latest sale. Crystal Crisis looks alright if you want a Super Puzzle Fighter style game except with Nicalis characters instead of Capcom.