Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

12 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I got Mr Driller but really couldn't understand what was going on with all the 'spells' and alternative routes out the sides of levels, plus warps

My brain is telling me drill to the bottom as fast as possible, but that clearly isn't the idea.

This version is a like a pick'n'mix full of lots of awesome variations on the Driller formula. 

The World Tour attraction is your bog-standard, vanilla-ass, keep-mashing-that-A-button, classic Mr. Driller. Basically get to the bottom as fast as you can while managing your oxygen levels and dodging falling blocks.

The version you describe is The Hole of Druaga, loosely based on Namco's Tower of, where you need to find keys and use spells to hurt the baddies and eventually the end boss. There's no oxygen to worry about, but each drilled block costs 1HP. I had a go last night and it seems like great fun, but pretty tough. It seems you really need to organise and prioritise, rather than your usual quickfire reactive drilling. 

• Upvote 2

I think I got too annoyed by the endless videos to even read what levels I was playing on Mr Driller - I'll look for World Tour then

ta for the advice

• Upvote 1
Just now, Kramer said:

Mr Driller is great - but as with the GC version, no high score feature. What a shame.

There's certainly a global top 100 leaderboard feature on World Drill Tour. 

I’m glad I’m not alone in being a little baffled by Mr Driller - it’s always disappointing to see a release like this where it feels like 95% of the forum is going mental for it and then when I try it I’m dead in a minute with no real concept of what I’m doing. 

I’ll play the demo a few more times obviously but I was expecting to be immediately on board and that hasn’t quite happened yet, beautifully colourful though it is. 

It's pretty simple, drill as far down as you can but protect your head by leaving overhangs. Aim for air capsules when you can, you probably need 1 in 3 in the first 100m but every one by 400-500m. Avoid drilling through hard rocks unless absolutely essential as the air penalty is the same as a capsule, ie 20 air. 

But mainly think about what's above you as well as what's below. Move left and right to keep your head covered. 

1 hour ago, MagicalDrop said:

The Hole Of Druaga is one of the harder levels, start off with World Drill Tour for a more basic race to the bottom game.

I presume access to level 2 is only given once I have stamps for level 1 in all lands?

Yes, you need to complete level 1 for each attraction to unlock - no spoilers - something which ultimately gives you access to the other levels for each attraction.

24 minutes ago, MagicalDrop said:

There's certainly a global top 100 leaderboard feature on World Drill Tour. 

Oh okay - I am crap at it, coupled with reviews saying no high scores. I would have liked a local high scores table, like Mr Driler DS. However, a global table is good.

4 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Oh okay - I am crap at it, coupled with reviews saying no high scores. I would have liked a local high scores table, like Mr Driler DS. However, a global table is good.

The game keeps your highest score for each level. 

1 minute ago, MagicalDrop said:

The game keeps your highest score for each level. 

Would hope for a table to promote some healthy competition in my household - like we did swapping the DS cartridge about years ago.

I know how to play this, but I am terrible.... just need to practise more!

The trick with Mr Driller is not to go too fast. Once you realise the importance of the chain reactions it will click. 

The game does an extremely poor job at 'onboarding'. Should really have added a basic tutorial at least. 

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Ok. What about Doom and Wolfenstein 2. Do they run well?

Doom 2016 runs fine, I finished it on Switch in handheld mode first despite having the PC version and thoroughly enjoying it, because Switch :D

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, merrychan said:

Doom 2016 runs fine, I finished it on Switch in handheld mode first despite having the PC version and thoroughly enjoying it, because Switch :D

I also did this! It looks a bit blurry at times, but the frame rate is pretty solid throughout and it's a really excellent port.

I got Wolfenstein 2 also off the back of how good Doom 2016 was but haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, deerokus said:

It's not a tremendous port, it's quite buggy. 

I've could only find one post about this on Twitter. Is there a list of bugs somewhere?

I've already paid my £3.99 but worth knowing if I should wait for a patch (or two) before another playthrough.

R-type dimensions ex is on sale. I already downloaded the demo.....I'm going to purchase it soon.

Sorry in case, I've only had a switch around 3 weeks, so I'm new to learning the shop stuff and what comes around on sale and things like that.

This may belong in discussion, but I downloaded Yoshis crafted world demo too and I think I'm going to enjoy the full game. Reviews look quite respective too 

9 hours ago, deerokus said:

The trick with Mr Driller is not to go too fast. Once you realise the importance of the chain reactions it will click. 

The game does an extremely poor job at 'onboarding'. Should really have added a basic tutorial at least. 

This!

Still a brilliantly addictive game decades after its first release. Loving it.

• Upvote 2