rllmuk
Gotters

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

Just now, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

Is it any good? How much of a conversion is it? Does it have a lot of modern bells and whistles or is it just an up-rezzed version of the N64 or Dreamcast game?

It's just the uprezzed N64 game. And it looks like an uprezzed N64 game. 60FPS, though and if you played it back in the day, it's great fun to revisit. I'd struggle to recommend to those who didn't though. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

Does it contain Jar Jar in any way, however brief?

Not so far and not from memory. Lots of Watto, though. 

WattoHS.jpg

• Upvote 1

Ninjala is out today - sort of looks like Splatoon but doesn’t play like it apparently.

Plus its launching as a free multiplayer then releasing a paid for single player game in July as dlc I believe

Looks interesting

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, joffocakes said:

I've never played Card Fighters Clash (and avoided the DS version due to apparent bugs) so that's the one I'd like to see too.

Apparently there was a Japan-only sequel which has a fan translation?

It remains one of my favourite games, ever. The second one had even more beautiful art too.

These two games that I could play online, against humans...

Yes please, place it inside me.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

Ninjala is out today - sort of looks like Splatoon but doesn’t play like it apparently.

Plus its launching as a free multiplayer then releasing a paid for single player game in July as dlc I believe

Looks interesting

The demo was pretty good. Aside from waiting forever to get in a game.

6 hours ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

Is it any good? How much of a conversion is it? Does it have a lot of modern bells and whistles or is it just an up-rezzed version of the N64 or Dreamcast game?

Disappointed it doesn’t do the dual analogue control thing.

Picked up Billion Road on the eshop today; it's been on there for a couple of months (as well as Steam) but I only heard about it due to yesterday's New Game+ Expo stream showing that it's 40% off (currently £21.59).

We've really been hankering for some Boom Street (we set up the Wii U again recently for that reason) and this seems to draw a fair bit of inspiration from it. It's one (very) large board based on a map of Japan and you roll a die to move toward a randomly placed goal (which relocates each time you reach it). Landing on various spaces causes you to earn/lose money or affords you the opportunity to invest in property or items.

The game is played over a number of years, with each turn being one month. The board is basic and cluttered looking but there are some cute details and the aesthetics update with the seasons. You can set custom game which run for up to 99 years if you like. 

Additional complexity is added through Monsters; you pick up partners as you travel the board and they give bonuses like increasing the money earned from certain spaces or letting you retry a bad die roll. Some increase your chance of getting the exact roll you need to land perfectly on the goal. Having monsters which match a certain colour class when reaching the goal will grant you cash boost with a bonus multiplier.

Then there's monsters who hinder you; they'll follow behind and snap your cash or nullify your helper monster's abilities or even sell your properties.

In addition to these wee beasts who help and harass players there are occasional, colossal beasts who terrorise the board adding a further layer of complexity to proceedings. You can send one of your helper monsters out to attack this foe each turn (all have a visible attack stat) though you'll lose access to its special power for a while after. The player who does the most damage will be rewarded, as will whoever deals the finishing blow (it fled on me before I saw that, damaging my properties in its wake).

Oh and sometimes a portal to Monster Island(?!) appears and you can go there to snatch up rarer monsters.

This is what I've gleaned from a quick hour on it; I'm unclear on how the property Monopolising will play out since the board is so vast I've not had anyone land on mine. I don't even know if it works like that tbh: I want to make sure I can sabotage other players so here's hopin'. I'll give it a go in multiplayer later but I reckon I quite enjoy it as a Boom Street alternative.

TL;DR: Billion Island on Switch is 40% off and a bit like Boom Street.

• Upvote 7

Does anyone mind explaining why the Pocket version of Turf Masters is better?

I've been eyeballing the one currently on the store since having a go on the golf on 51 Worldwide Games, but if a better version comes along immediately afterwards I'll feel a right fool. 

How many courses in golf on 51 worldwide games? 

Turf Masters is a masterpiece, buy it. I never played the NGPC version outside of emulation, but some strong comments in this thread. Either way the best 2d golf game no question. 

• Upvote 3

I guess for me neo turf masters portable is tied in with my first year of my phd, train journeys to Manchester and a lovely carbon black neogeo pocket color. Poured days into that game. Perfectly balanced. Any bad shot is your fault, not the game. Plus there’s no get a birdie or lose your turn stuff going on as in the AES version. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

@joffocakes Sounds interesting. So are you just playing single player at the moment? Can you do local multiplayer? What age range would you say it is aimed at?

Yeah I've only played solo so far. The single player mode is Tournament, 30 years long (so 30 x 12 turns each) and the lowest ranked player is eliminated every 5 years (replaced with a new CPU character). The AI takes its turn pretty quickly but you can hold Y to speed it up further or set it to Fast by default (it's so fast the text boxes are unreadable).

Its local multi only; no online at all. Up to four players, and everyone can play on a single controller.

The presentation is very kid-friendly. Probably so much so that adults might be put off tbh. It's all chibi cute folk and Poundland digimon. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Wonderm said:

How many courses in golf on 51 worldwide games?

Courses? Mate, there's only 9 holes :mellow:

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

I guess for me neo turf masters portable is tied in with my first year of my phd, train journeys to Manchester and a lovely carbon black neogeo pocket color. Poured days into that game. Perfectly balanced. Any bad shot is your fault, not the game. Plus there’s no get a birdie or lose your turn stuff going on as in the AES version. 

So I didn’t want to sell AES NTM (Big Tournament Golf) short so I just bought it on the eshop. My statement still stands. Where I think NTM portable edges the original is that it isn’t an arcade port with the whole hurry up and put more credits in. With the portable one, you can have a terrible round of golf and finish 5 over without having to pump in virtual credits. It’s just got an all round more sedate vibe. 

• Upvote 1

Ah yes, tbf the ability to play it without spamming with credits may help a lot. I didnt think about that 

That’s definitely annoying but you can always set the Switch version to give 99 holes for a credit and remove penalties. 

I think I prefer the Pocket soundtrack though. 

Great timing, I had a grand evening on Neo Tur-, sorry 'Big Tournament Golf' last night, and it really plays a mean game. 

The insert credits thing gets a bit irritating (essentially you're given 3 'lives' per credit, but even just hitting Par will take a life away; getting a Birdie will restore a life, etc.), but it's all pretty moot when it's the leader boards that really matter anyway. 

I do find it hard to judge distance just using the mini-map (I'm not actually sure what the white flight path line indicates... Max drive??) but it's all so colourful and sunny with most cheerful commentary ever (On the greeeeen!!) that it's hard not to have a great time. 

Never got round to Turf Masters on the NGPC, here's hoping it gets picked. 

• Upvote 1

There's a demo for Brigandine on the eshop and the trailer makes it look like something I'll love, but the full game is £44.99, which is a bit rich for my blood at the minute. Hopefully the demo will sway me. 

I wasn't in for the deliver of Mr.Driller, but it's being redelivered in the next hour and three quarters.  Can't wait - loved this on PS and DS.

Mr Driller Drill Land was easily one of my favourite Gamecube games. Based on an hour early this morning, the Switch version seems to be pretty much as I remember it but with higher-res graphics and English text. There's a new "casual" difficulty setting too.

• Upvote 3

Great news about mr driller, always wanted to play this in English to understand the different modes and be able to save will help! £16 which is cheaper than expected too.

Mr Driller on the GBC was one of the best portable puzzle games ever; things got so intense on later levels that the poor GB couldn't handle all those collapsing sprites, and used to splutter and flicker like mad. 

Where are people buying the physical Mr Driller from?

11 minutes ago, deKay said:

Where are people buying the physical Mr Driller from?

Just search for it on the eShop.

EDIT: oh physical copy. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, moosegrinder said:

Physical version. I presume Play-asia?

Only for pre-order there. I've seen a few people on Twitter say their copy arrived today.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Only for pre-order there. I've seen a few people on Twitter say their copy arrived today.

Then Japan, presumably.  It came out here today.