rllmuk

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

I finally finished Tokyo Mirage Sessions. 

think I liked it? I feel like if it didn't have the boob jiggle I'd have unashamedly loved it. But the typical anime misogyny would have been shrugged off when I was in my 20s but now it's a bit cringeworthy. But I just loved how ridiculous the concept was and I just couldn't stop grinding through it. 

I was glad for it to finally be over though, but then it leaves this massive hole for what story based thing to play next. I guess I should get Xenoblade Chronicles. I tried it on 3DS and just didn't get on with it. I had no fucking clue what was going on with the battle system but I imagine it just didn't translate well to the small screen.

But I think I am up for some action / MMO style combat* as after a while just waiting for endless sessions in TMS made the combat start to get boring, as there wasn't a whole lot of strategy in its battle system beyond "don't die, try to get big sessions" 

I'm also up for big huge vistas and a story that is more epic, more fantasy setting. As fun as the world of Japanese idol culture was for a little while, dialogue about "trying ones best to become a better performer thanks to the support of your friends" ad infinatum did grate a little.

Lockdown has given me a taste for JPRGs that has been long dormant. Earthlock had its flaws but there was something nice about it being pretty 'straight up', not complex, and not being bogged down in sidequest & cutscene hell. That much worries me a little about Xenoblade. But it looks so nice. And this much football won't be on all summer, but the pandemic will soooooo

I'm also tempted by, and have never played Ni No Kuni. Ahh decisions.

* I'm also tempted to resub WoW but I'm forbidden from falling off the wagon.

• Upvote 2
28 minutes ago, cowfields said:

Lockdown has given me a taste for JPRGs that has been long dormant. Earthlock had its flaws but there was something nice about it being pretty 'straight up', not complex, and not being bogged down in sidequest & cutscene hell. That much worries me a little about Xenoblade. But it looks so nice. And this much football won't be on all summer, but the pandemic will soooooo

I'm also tempted by, and have never played Ni No Kuni. Ahh decisions.

Yeah, I'm looking at clocking in 100hrs into Dragon Quest 11. I don't think I could have done that any other console. It really helps that I can do some chores and grind through some of it handheld, and then when I get a bit of time with the telly I can trust I can do the pure fun bits. I got DQ8 on PS2 and 3DS in my wake proving this. 

It was my main issue with Ni No Kuni too. I got through a fair bit of that on PS3, but I really could have done with remote play working on that for Vita. So I'll probably hop onto that soon. 

Anyone got any recommendations along these lines? I hadn't even heard of Tokyo Mirage Sessions

Ah shit I've just remembered Paper Mario is out in a few weeks. I really want to play that, but getting another massive RPG now that will almost certainly not be done by the 17th seems like a not-sensible thing to do. 

So obviously I'm going to.

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

There’s a demo for Dragon Quest 11 and Trials of Mana remake of you’re curious about either of those @cowfields

Thanks, I had tried them both. I was put off by both for different reasons.

DQ11 because it is so so archetypal that I just felt...not right now. Xenoblade obviously is going to be at its core but the SciFi setting just feels a bit more what I'm after.

ToM I was just put off by having to narrow my character choice down to 3, and it felt a bit too much like was saying at the start "you're gonna play this a few times through". Really wasn't interested in replay. I realise that's reactionary, but when you're looking for reasons...

My dilemma right now is bascially Ni No Kuni or Xenoblade, or neither and wait for Paper Mario.

Either way Paper Mario is getting played, and maybe I'll pretend I can run two RPGs at the same time. I doubt Paper Mario is going to be a really big time investment.

4 minutes ago, cowfields said:

Thanks, I had tried them both. I was put off by both for different reasons.

DQ11 because it is so so archetypal that I just felt...not right now. Xenoblade obviously is going to be at its core but the SciFi setting just feels a bit more what I'm after.

ToM I was just put off by having to narrow my character choice down to 3, and it felt a bit too much like was saying at the start "you're gonna play this a few times through". Really wasn't interested in replay. I realise that's reactionary, but when you're looking for reasons...

My dilemma right now is bascially Ni No Kuni or Xenoblade, or neither and wait for Paper Mario.

Either way Paper Mario is getting played, and maybe I'll pretend I can run two RPGs at the same time. I doubt Paper Mario is going to be a really big time investment.

Xenoblade is really great. You can skip a lot of side quests and the battle system is fun, just might be worth checking out a beginners guide online if you’re worried about it.

On 28/06/2020 at 11:54, Dudley said:

and the others are Golf Story and What the Golf?

PGA Tour 2K21 is due out on the Switch next month, although the number of courses is limited it’s basically a reskin of The Golf Club with the ability to design your own courses (and load others designed courses). 

4 hours ago, deerokus said:

Youse should play Ys VIII. Action JRPG set on a mystical deserted island full of dinosaurs and shit. Amazing music. 

Thanks, I've put it on my watch list.

What I had heard of it from elsewhere was if you like this series, you'll like this, which isn't too helpful if you know nothing about it.

23 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

Thanks, I've put it on my watch list.

What I had heard of it from elsewhere was if you like this series, you'll like this, which isn't too helpful if you know nothing about it.

That's probably partly true although the series has changed a lot over the years, it started in the 80s but those entries are pretty hard to go back to and has generally got better as it has gone on. That said they're not quite like anything else. 

Anyway great music, adventurous/fantastical atmosphere, snappy real time hack-and-slash combat where you switch between three party members at will. Probably closest comparison would be to the Mana series in that aspect (secret of etc), or a more combat focused Zelda (the structure isn't like Zelda). 

Ys VIII adds a suikoden-ish 'collect all the npcs to enhance your base' system which is new. Same protagonist in all but one of the games but the stories are self-contained. 

If you have a pc just about all the older entries are on there cheap at the moment. Ys Seven, Oath in Felghana it Memories of Celceta are good options, although VIII is definitely my favourite of the series that I've played. It's regularly on sale on the eshop. 

• Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, Laine said:

I noticed Conduct Together is on sale for 89p! Is it any good?

It was free (actually one gold coin which was replaced on purchase) on the US eShop a few months ago. It started off OK but got way too hard and stressful for me to enjoy it.

• Upvote 1

Conduct Together! was quite a lot of fun for me and my boy on the early levels (it's basically impossible for a single player I suspect) but yeah, it gets bloody hard. We got our 89p worth, anyway.

44 minutes ago, Laine said:

Hey @cowfields do you fancy selling me Tokyo Mirage Sessions? :D

I noticed Conduct Together is on sale for 89p! Is it any good?

Alas it's digital otherwise I totally would. 

Don't let the realistic boob jiggle give you cause for doubt. I put about 50 hours in so I guess that's £1/hour.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, cowfields said:

Alas it's digital otherwise I totally would. 

Don't let the realistic boob jiggle give you cause for doubt. I put about 50 hours in so I guess that's £1/hour.

I can live with it! I absolutely love all the games in this series and really want it! I know it’s be worth the £50 I just can’t really stretch to it right now. Bah!

32 minutes ago, deerokus said:

That's probably partly true although the series has changed a lot over the years, it started in the 80s but those entries are pretty hard to go back to and has generally got better as it has gone on. That said they're not quite like anything else. 

Anyway great music, adventurous/fantastical atmosphere, snappy real time hack-and-slash combat where you switch between three party members at will. Probably closest comparison would be to the Mana series in that aspect (secret of etc), or a more combat focused Zelda (the structure isn't like Zelda). 

Ys VIII adds a suikoden-ish 'collect all the npcs to enhance your base' system which is new. Same protagonist in all but one of the games but the stories are self-contained. 

If you have a pc just about all the older entries are on there cheap at the moment. Ys Seven, Oath in Felghana it Memories of Celceta are good options, although VIII is definitely my favourite of the series that I've played. It's regularly on sale on the eshop. 

I’ve never played an Ys as although they sound right up my street otherwise I just don’t like action RPGs much. But now you’ve said Suikoden-ish collect a load of NPCs to expand your base I am very interested!

10 minutes ago, Laine said:

I can live with it! I absolutely love all the games in this series and really want it! I know it’s be worth the £50 I just can’t really stretch to it right now. Bah!

It's definitely worth the money if its your thing. I actually really enjoyed how 'normal' it could be. 

"hey so I know there's this looming threat that could destroy Tokyo but let's pause on leveling up our battle skills, pop over to the dance studio and work on how we can better perform as a pop star for our fans. We'll get a mochi parfait on the way". 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, bradigor said:

Anyone interested in CrossCode we have a review for it on Switch. 

https://www.mentalhealthgaming.com/crosscode-review/

Nice review. I’d seen a short trailer for it that didn’t do half as good a job of selling it to me as your review (it looked very generic and samey throughout location wise) and it also (understandably) didn’t manage to convey the charm of the characters :)

Also just seen that when it comes to Xbox it’s free on game pass and is already on there for PC. 

20 minutes ago, womble9 said:

Nice review. I’d seen a short trailer for it that didn’t do half as good a job of selling it to me as your review (it looked very generic and samey throughout location wise) and it also (understandably) didn’t manage to convey the charm of the characters :)

Also just seen that when it comes to Xbox it’s free on game pass and is already on there for PC. 

I'd like to take credit. That's from one of our newer writers :) 

18 hours ago, bradigor said:

I'd like to take credit. That's from one of our newer writers :) 

Yeah, it's a good review. Did they come across any issues with the UI/menus stuttering at all? Saw another review (positive) that mentioned some annoying delays when accessing menu screens.

On 19/06/2020 at 10:07, bradigor said:

Railway Empire is out today for anyone interested. 

http://www.mentalhealthgaming.com/railway-empire-nintendo-switch-edition-review/

So don’t get it for handheld only?

I’ve been playing Automachef, it's really managed to get its hooks in despite making no concessions to running on the switch in handheld mode & having terrible tutorials.  It's like inifinifactory or the like but it's a kitchen with meal prep, it's got that optimisation hook with targets on meals delivered, electricity used, ingredients used.  

It's rough around the edges, e.g. it has an efficiency score but it only gives vague indication over what goes into it - so there's nothing for this layout scored badly because X.  For example the other night I build a kitchen delivering 4 meals to two different hatches for the first time (restaurant & take away), came in well below all the targets but only got 46% efficiency & I don't know why.  

To give an example of how bad the tutorials are, there's a tutorial after 15 levels (and a bunch of optional levels) that tells you to use an order reader to only dispense ingredients when needed, if you hadn't worked that out in level 2 you wouldn't have gotten this far.