Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

I'm still playing Cosmic Star Heroine, which was recommended by @DukeOfEarlsfield in this thread about a month back.  It's probably one of the most enjoyable, smart and efficient turn-based battle systems I've seen in a game like this. 

Abilities and items are all usable from the start of battle and are spent when used. You can recharge a character's abilities but it uses one of their turns. You never just spam attack and you never hoard 100 potions; both of these things are impossible.  New abilities often make you rethink how you play a certain character or how they fit imto your team strategy as a whole. On top of this, you have a clever 'hyper' system, where your characters will have a turn of boostex effects on abilities, so you'll often spend several turns building up to a massive combo, culimating in a massive attack that wipes out a strong enemy in one hit and it feels incredibly satisfying.

It's low budget and it's not perfect but it absolutely nails a fun and thoughtful battle system, where EVERY encounter feels meaningful. 

Duke, great recommendation. I had no idea this game existed before you posted about it and I'm so glad you did,  because this is definitely one of my favourite games I've played this year. 

• Upvote 4

There's been about 50 games that I've hoped would be the next Enter the Gungeon, but none of them have bottled that lightning. Too early to tell, but that certainly looks like it has a similar appeal.

52 minutes ago, PrimalSage said:

First post! Just to say that Kickmen game is rubbish. Not a good game, trying to get by with it's sense of humour. Awful music too. Avoid! 

Whose alt are you?

1 minute ago, donpeartree said:

While wondering hos much CrossCode would cost on release, I started wondering, when people get review codes, are they also told the price? Does that factor into your assessment?

There are no hard and fast rules. So sometimes we get a full on press briefing with details, prices, embargo, etc. Other time, we are sent a code with a 'thanks for your interest in said game, here is a code'

Also same when writing the review and the game itself. I mention the price on some games if I feel it puts in context why a game is worth getting. Case in point Pack Master is just over £4 and wonderful for that price. But Atomicrops the price doesn't come into it. Yet again on the flip side, discussion around Burnout Paradise has to talk about the price, because of the ridiculous decisions made there. 

Hope that makes sense and helps. 

Also, CrossCode is £17.99 I think. 

I'd second what @bradigorsaid. I only tend to comment on price when a game feels particularly over - or under - priced. So in a recent review of the House of Da Vinci 2 I pointed out that the PC version was several times more expensive than the mobile app. I don't tend to factor it into the score as a good game is still a good game even if you wait until a sale but do mention it in my summary. 

7 hours ago, donpeartree said:

While wondering hos much CrossCode would cost on release, I started wondering, when people get review codes, are they also told the price? Does that factor into your assessment?

Cross code is 17.99. It'll be on game pass too, but RPGs are portable games for me these days. 

I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying Hyrule Warriors (I skipped Wii U) I've sort of liked occasional dynasty warriors games in the past but the extra level of Nintendo polish and sheer amount and variety of stuff in this game elevates it above the rest of them. Perfect low effort gaming. 

I found previous games in the Dynasty Warriors series to be lacking because I didn't give a fuck about Chinese history or mythology. Put Cuccos and Deku Baba's in there and I'm already more invested. Also there's a mind boggling amount of content.

• Upvote 2
23 hours ago, deKay said:

Whose alt are you?

Oh ok. 

Kickmen is a poor game. The humour masks a poor underlying game. 

I'd like a port of Sensi Soccer but no doubt it's lost in licensing hell. 

1 hour ago, PrimalSage said:

Oh ok. 

That is kind of the point though. It's not meant to be a good football game, it is making a mockery of football. The humour works and it drives the game forward. If you approach this game as anything other than the parody it is, then you will be left disappointed. It is easy to critique the mechanics and such individually, but that misses the overall point of the game. One that is cheap and played for laughs and never meant to be a serious game. 

Dan Marshall nails it in that respect and has never hidden the fact when talking about the game and in any marketing produced. 

I am not 100% sure why the follow up is about wanting a port of Sensible Soccer. It's like talking about how you didn't like Leisure Suit Larry, so you want a port of Final Fantasy VI. 

8 hours ago, PrimalSage said:

Oh ok. 

I think you're missing the point of the game. It's a joke game based on a joke with jokes in it.

But it also happens to be a lot of fun.

It isn't supposed to be football, and it's all the better for that.

I found the humour amusing and I got my fill of it from his twitter account in the lead up to the game being released - the game itself was shite.

• Upvote 4

I feel the criticisms of the gameplay in Kickmen are pretty spot on. It's a bit of a chore, there's not much in the way of challenge on the default difficulty but as I'm playing for the jokes and to slap Pedro Brutus in his stupid face, I'm reluctant to increase that right now. It's got some neat mechanics, but lacks any real structure on the field, especially in the early stages when your team are crap - as they fan out more at higher levels of teamwork, you can put some nicer moves together, but really you're only doing so to build the cash multiplier rather than out of necessity.

It does, however, make me laugh. I feel I'd love to make a sequel (naturally, I'd need Dan for the humour). I think there's something to the mechanics and rules of the game that could form the basis of something both fun to play and fun to unfold. 

In hindsight, I should have started Kickmen with the cheats on and just ignored the game. But I stupidly started on classic, and just find it a frustrating mess to play to progress with the story. I can't really be arsed to go back and start again. 

I've only played the Switch version of Kickmen, but I found most games would end up with one of the CPU players repeatedly running the ball into a "corner", the ball respawning, the same player grabbing it and running back to the "corner", and repeat ad nauseam.

Even outside that, I didn't enjoy it, and found the humour very sneery. I guess that makes me one of those stupid football people but hey ho.