Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

8 minutes ago, Quest said:

I agree, mostly. I just think it clashes with Nintendo's image a bit, and that they're overestimating how many people know about or enable parental controls.

Pretty sure it's right there when you turn it on for the first time and do the setup.

Of course, that's no use if the kid sets it up, but still.

7 hours ago, Horribleman said:

How is the sluggish menus etc that the reviews mention?

Definitely there - the menu takes like half a second pause to load each screen. I've hardly had to use the menus so far though. Performance otherwise seems OK and apparently the patch to fix those issues is already done and should be available soon. 

Seems like it was a headache to port as it's coded in html5 and there's no way to run that on consoles. 

The ganeplay and setting is really getting its teeth into me. 

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

Seems like it was a headache to port as it's coded in html5 and there's no way to run that on consoles. 

Odd that’s an issue on the Switch when it was supported natively on the Wii U.

14 minutes ago, deKay said:

Odd that’s an issue on the Switch when it was supported natively on the Wii U.

Yeah there's an interview somewhere with the dev that mentions that. It isn't natively supported on any of the current consoles (maybe for security reasons?) Originally this was supposed to come out on WiiU for that reason but it took a lot longer to come out than they planned. 

11 hours ago, friedgold said:

Was having a little look in the Coming Soon page on the the eShop yesterday while waiting for CrossCode to become available when I saw this.

Presented without comment, though with a censored NSFW warning

Nintendo-NES-Seal.png.f35163bcb21d905e2902baf058ab2cff.png

• Upvote 5
12 hours ago, friedgold said:

Was having a little look in the Coming Soon page on the the eShop yesterday while waiting for CrossCode to become available when I saw this.

Finally. A game to get me hard.

On 09/07/2020 at 08:35, friedgold said:

This has now been removed from the eshop and is "not coming to Switch".

• Upvote 1
Just now, Alex W. said:

Who among us hasn’t mistakenly created a sanitised port of a game and submitted it for publication on the eShop?

Just makes me wonder how the fuck Shudder got turned down for the Switch...

• Upvote 3
29 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I doubt those cool, hip and happening cats from the Eurogamer comments are going to join the second cuntiest forum on the internet™

Come help us be no. 1!

• Upvote 1

Enjoying CrossCode so far, the menu lag is real but only a bit annoying.

Could do with some deadzone tweaking for the analogue sticks though, it's almost unplayable with my original ones due to analogue stick drift. Just constantly aiming in whatever direction the joycon is drifting.

Appreciate this isn't CrossCode's fault explicitly but this is the hardware we're living with.

Bought Sunset Riders the other day and it appears to be completely fantastic. I somehow had managed to miss that the Arcade Archives titles are made by Hamster who also do the excellent ACA Neo Geo releases. 

Are there any other highlights in Arcade Archives I may have missed? I love those caravan/high score modes. :wub:

On 10/07/2020 at 15:22, strawdonkey said:

Enjoying CrossCode so far, the menu lag is real but only a bit annoying.

Could do with some deadzone tweaking for the analogue sticks though, it's almost unplayable with my original ones due to analogue stick drift. Just constantly aiming in whatever direction the joycon is drifting.

Appreciate this isn't CrossCode's fault explicitly but this is the hardware we're living with.

How is the performance in general? Seen a few reports saying it suffers badly from frequent slowdown.

Other than the menu lag it's ok. I've not seen any major slowdown but the frame rate can be a little choppy in places. 

I've got used to it but it'd be nice if it was a little more slick, though it's not caused me any noticeable problems that I can't blame on lack of skill yet :)

• Upvote 1

Certain areas have poor frame rate, I had one very large battle get very very choppy but otherwise it's not the battles, it's large outdoor areas with a lot of npcs milling about (real npcs, so in-fiction other players not in-fiction npcs) so it doesn't really affect gameplay too much (it can maybe make the Alundra-esque 'platforming' exploration puzzles slightly harder). 

Not seen slowdown. 

The guy in charge of the port has been on twitter saying a patch which should fix a lot of that has already been submitted to Nintendo so should be fixed soon. It doesn't detract massively  but it is a pity. If you're sensitive to performance the Xbox Game Pass version may be best for now. 

On 10/07/2020 at 15:20, rgraves said:

Does this mean *we're* the Eurogamer source that's always previously informed them of every breaking news story?

Someone has to step up since GAF imploded and Jeffrey Matulef mysteriously stopped writing for EG.

Weirdly just had a email from Nintendo stating a game I've tried the demo for is now on sale and provided a link to purchase it.

But when I check the game on the UK eShop via a browser (not on my Switch as I'm not near it atm) it still shows the full price. All a tad strange, wonder if they have just sent out the email early or something.

Nintendo.png

Maybe I'll recheck on my Switch later to see f I get the samething.

10 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Someone has to step up since GAF imploded and Jeffrey Matulef mysteriously stopped writing for EG.

GAF has gone from strength to strength since the resetera bunch left them. Much better IMO. 

• Empathy 1

I hurt my shoulder so I can’t PC game. I was going to play CrossCode on Gamepass but needs must so I paid money for it on my Switch.

It’s very, very good with caveats.

I love the setting and the story so far. The dialogue is good and the character is written well despite some interesting limitations. I had to turn down the combat and puzzle difficulty. Combat early on was pretty brutal and my aging reactions need more time for the puzzles. I’m almost at the second dungeon now. Some of the enemies are just a fucking chore to fight though. Mostly the ones that spend all their time darting around the screen. I’m really enjoying it though. The first dungeon was bigger and more interesting than most endgame dungeons in other jprgs. God only knows what I’m going to end up in for the second :) I like the skill tree system. The trade system for the best gear can do one though. By the time you’ve scrounged up enough stuff for the gear you’ve outlevelled it anyway. I take it if it’s there but I’ve been doing mostly store bought with some found.

Sadly the Switch version does have some performance issues at times. In towns I don’t care. It kinda fits the mmo vibe they’re going for but it’s weird doing some combat, getting down to the last couple of enemies and seeing the game pop back into 60. That being said the devs have a patch going through cert to fix those so fingers crossed. Also I’m too thick for a lot of the puzzles.

I think the biggest issue I have is the lack of guidance for the main story. I spent two hours in the first dungeon and when I came out got told “We should go and do that quiz!” and I literally had to lookup where I was supposed to go because I’d forgotten. I don’t mind lack of pointers for the side stuff since they’re all optional but the main stuff could do with some assistance at times. Also the maps are a glorious insane maze that delights and infuriates in equal measure.

It might sound like I’m shitting on the game but I wouldn’t have made this post or put in about 8 hours so far if I wasn’t enjoying myself :)

• Upvote 2
57 minutes ago, PrimalSage said:

GAF has gone from strength to strength since the resetera bunch left them. Much better IMO. 

Care to elaborate? I don't particularly like either faction but the last time I saw GAF it had descended into an alt-right shithole and it seems that the posters there are still using terminology like "cucked".

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, I had a look this evening and found that the first unstickied thread in their Off-Topic was an 89 page-long epic about arses, which I found oddly poetic.

ahem.thumb.png.0f674a99e94c2d703dcdba049b924b08.png

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Care to elaborate? I don't particularly like either faction but the last time I saw GAF it had descended into an alt-right shithole and it seems that the posters there are still using terminology like "cucked".

Probably an alt to be honest. Two posts about kickmen and then some poor quality bait about Neogaf