Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

11 hours ago, smac said:

That's a game that is so much easier on a tiny screen than in the arcade - makes a huge difference when all of the action is in a smaller area in your field of vision, instead of spread all over an arcade cab monitor. Especially the meteor section.

One of my favourite games from back in the day.

Yeah, deffo. I got to have a go at the arcade at Four Quarters on my brother's stag, but was pretty pissed and can't remember if that improved or hobbled my game. I vaguely remember having a bit of a crowd around me at one point! 

Anyone played Forager? I'm not a massive fan of the art style but the gameplay mechanics seems rather interesting. Worth a purchase?

7 minutes ago, Rayn said:

Anyone played Forager? I'm not a massive fan of the art style but the gameplay mechanics seems rather interesting. Worth a purchase?

Dunno if it's relevant but that's just been added to Game Pass

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Dunno if it's relevant but that's just been added to Game Pass

Cheers, will give it a go on there then :)

How does AO Tennis 2 perform? Seems like a perfect 73% game on metacritic and 20 quid is a big reduction 

But if it runs like shit compared to ps4 or whatever there's no point 

1 hour ago, Yasawas said:

It’s worth eight quid certainly. Solid mechanically and surprisingly long I’d rank it in my top three Switch shmups with Ikaruga and ESP Ra.De. 

@Quest @Horribleman

I agree. It's worth eight quid because it's a solid, polished game and it's the only Raiden game on the Switch (although Caladrius Blaze kind of is, but anyway...). I'd say that shmups benefit from shorter, more replayable stages which you can try to master and improve your scoring strategies and the length works against that. For some fun, rock solid blasting though, it's good.

As a couple of alternatives, though, I'd suggest Rolling Gunner (horizontal bullet hell by an ex-Cave dev) and Psyvariar Delta ('grazing' vertical bullet hell-ish with a really cool power-up mechanic) which are both right up there with the two recommended above. 

• Upvote 2
On 17/07/2020 at 20:21, MagicalDrop said:

Q-YO Blaster looks worth a shot for some Parodius style action at 89p (90% off) 

It's almost always on sale for peanuts but I've gotten more enjoyment out of it than I have from a lot of the highly praised/hardcore arcade shmups I've bought in recent years. I suspect it doesn't have anywhere near the depth that hardcore arcade shmup fans would want and has the feel of a casual, console only shmup, but considering the low price I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys playing the odd shmup without taking it too seriously/chasing scores etc.

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, Fondue said:

Man, seeing all the Konami packs makes me long for a definitive Taito collection. 

It's crazy this doesn't exist. Is it Square who own Taito now? They love a retro release. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks @Yasawas @Stanshall

Reckon I'll grab it. I had a Raiden on the PS2, I think, but never seemed to get into it for whatever reason.

Meant to pick up Rolling Gunner back around launch but it got temporarily taken off the eShop when I went to buy it, so I ended up forgetting about it entirely.

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, Fondue said:

Man, seeing all the Konami packs makes me long for a definitive Taito collection. 

What would a definitive collection contain? A re-release of one of their other retro collections? 

20 hours ago, Fondue said:

Well, certainly arcade perfect versions of several of the Taito Legends games. 

On my wishlist would be... 

Bubble Bobble

Rainbow Islands

Parasol Stars 

Bubble Symphony

Puzzle Bobble (1, probably) 

New Zealand Story 

Chase HQ 

Operation Wolf (using the touchscreen?!) 

Plotting

Arkanoid

Something from the Space Invaders stable (can't for the life of me remember the name of the quite modern one) Edit: Space Invaders Extreme, that was it! 

Rastan Saga

At least one Darius

Rainbow Islands is possibly my favourite arcade game. Did I imagine some sort of remake? Or was that Bubble Bobble? I'm old and confused...

Just finished Gris. What a wonderful game. I previously played Celeste which too was incredible.

Are there any other platformer type games that will satisfy me in the same way? Ignore the usual first party ninty stuff like Mario and donkey Kong though. I've rinsed them already.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Foxworth said:

Just finished Gris. What a wonderful game. I previously played Celeste which too was incredible.

Are there any other platformer type games that will satisfy me in the same way? Ignore the usual first party ninty stuff like Mario and donkey Kong though. I've rinsed them already.

Slime-san.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Peb Kacharach said:

This would all be incredible.

I'm playing Bubble Bobble 4 Friends now and its a tragic experience.

Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Islands should be as highly regarded and relevant as the 2D Mario games. Taito have really mishandled the IP.

That’s a real shame. Was waiting for it to be a low low price but I am thinking it’s not worth it at any price. I’d only want the original :shrug:

4 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

No idea if anyone else has posted this but HotUKDeals alerted me to this free Rogue Company founders pack code giveaway...

https://press-start.com.au/win/2020/07/23/rogue-company-nintendo-switch-win-competition/

You need to switch your region to Australia to redeem the code but you can switch back afterwards and play the game (I think?)

Got mine downloading...

Cheers, grabbed one!

• Upvote 1