Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

1 hour ago, Yasawas said:

Superliminal completed, bit disappointing. I knew it was short and I’m happy with it on that front but it brings absolutely nothing of its own to the burgeoning test-subject environmental puzzler genre and it’s annoyed me by that more than it probably deserves to. Clever in places, quite sweet at the end, but utterly impossible to play without feeling it’s a pale take on Portal/The Turing Test/QUBE/whatever. 

I agree. I've been playing it on and off, but it's not really grabbing me. It's just...there. 

1 minute ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Obra Dinn is the worst one - it's been out since the end of last year and still won't budge.

Obra Dinn is one of the few games I can wholeheartedly recommend at full price. It's strange, fantastical and unique. 

• Upvote 2

I recommend trying the demo of Cris Tales, an upcoming RPG. Art style is lovely, got this ultra crisp 2d cartoon look and what looks like hand-drawn animation. Combat based on the demo is very much like the old Paper Mario games or the South Park RPG. 

Seems promising. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, deerokus said:

I recommend trying the demo of Cris Tales, an upcoming RPG. Art style is lovely, got this ultra crisp 2d cartoon look and what looks like hand-drawn animation. Combat based on the demo is very much like the old Paper Mario games or the South Park RPG. 

Seems promising. 

Is that the one that takes place in the past, present and future simultaneously? There was a preview in this month's Edge. Sounded interesting.

Add me to the slightly disappointed with Subliminal list. I found it quite poor technically as well, felt like something from the PS2. Have I missed any other big players in this genre? I've played and liked QUBE, Turing and Talos. Is that the lot?

44 minutes ago, carleton said:

Add me to the slightly disappointed with Subliminal list. I found it quite poor technically as well, felt like something from the PS2. Have I missed any other big players in this genre? I've played and liked QUBE, Turing and Talos. Is that the lot?

Have you played Q.U.B.E. 2? I thought it was a lot better than the first game. I’d put The Witness among them too, though it’s never been released on Switch for some reason. And obviously Portal 1 and 2, but I can’t imagine you’ve missed those.

Thanks, I've not played QUBE 2. I'm wishing I'd have taken a punt on that instead of Subliminal. And I completed the Witness on the PS3 (or was it PS4)? That was excellent, perhaps I should just play that again. Why that and Braid aren't on Switch I don't know. Or Portal 1&2. I'd buy them all again.

On 25/07/2020 at 14:52, sandman said:

The Crysis port is an incredible piece of software. I think it’s the best looking game on switch. 

Have you played much of it and if so how does it hold up, still worth a go?

2 hours ago, carleton said:

Thanks, I've not played QUBE 2. I'm wishing I'd have taken a punt on that instead of Subliminal. And I completed the Witness on the PS3 (or was it PS4)? That was excellent, perhaps I should just play that again. Why that and Braid aren't on Switch I don't know. Or Portal 1&2. I'd but them all again.

Yeah, I'll second @Paulando's shout for the second QUBE. I thought the first was alright but the sequel is really good.

I too would love to see Braid on Switch, I was just thinking yesterday how much I'd love to play that again. I don't think I've been through it since the original XBLA release.

• Upvote 1

Has anyone picked up Merchants of the Skies yet? Looks like my kind of whimsical, trading simulator but reviews are thin on the ground. That said, if anyone can recommend something along those lines - ideally with a sandbox mode or at least a decent length campaign I'm all ears. Moonlighter was brilliant but I've kind of exhausted it now.

On 17/07/2020 at 10:14, Paulando said:

Absolutely yes. It’s far better than the shitty ‘normal’ game. Still feels a bit rough around the edges like some British-made games do, but it’s fun to play and is well-designed.

On 17/07/2020 at 11:08, the_debaser said:

It’s ok. Nothing special.

I preferred the 3D game beforehand. 

On 17/07/2020 at 11:24, DC Lemon said:

Impossible Lair has lots of nice ideas but I recall the load times being genuinely annoying for a game of its nature.

Cheers for the replies boys, I did get Impossible Lair and am not far off the end.

Have to say it is much more successful at being a DKC game than the first Yooka was at being a Banjo game, and it is a lot more polished than that game was.

Really like the overworld, clever puzzles and some long-lost Rare humour in there.

And as DC says, lots of nice ideas, in particular the level remixes which kept surprising, and worked 10 times better than the level expansions did in Y-L.

Just playing Yooka Laylee. Although a bit floaty and rough around the edges, I am really enjoying it. Some very funny scripting. I love Trowser and the accompanying "voice"... A complete ode to Banjo and Kazooie which I adored. I love a collectathon too. "Trowsers Worldwide Incredible Traders"

:lol:

4 minutes ago, nightwaxon said:

Just playing Yooka Laylee. Although a bit floaty and rough around the edges, I am really enjoying it. Some very funny scripting. I love Trowser and the accompanying "voice"... A complete ode to Banjo and Kazooie which I adored. I love a collectathon too. "Trowsers Worldwide Incredible Traders"

:lol:

The sequel is much better. Really great game.

On 01/08/2020 at 22:57, wretcherd said:

Cheers for the replies boys, I did get Impossible Lair and am not far off the end.

Have to say it is much more successful at being a DKC game than the first Yooka was at being a Banjo game, and it is a lot more polished than that game was.

Really like the overworld, clever puzzles and some long-lost Rare humour in there.

And as DC says, lots of nice ideas, in particular the level remixes which kept surprising, and worked 10 times better than the level expansions did in Y-L.

Also some of music is just...chefs kiss.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, pulsemyne said:

I didn’t like the demo of the not-really-a-sequel-because-it’s-a-different-sort-of-game any where near as much as the original. Instead of being an evolution of Banjo Kazooie and therefore a game style that hasn’t really existed for two decades, it’s another 2D platformer of which 50 came out today. Unless the full game changes the way the game plays, I’m not sure I can be bothered with it.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, pulsemyne said:

It does look pretty good from what I have seen. It's definitely on my watch list. I was having issues with the camera in Yooka Laylee, but changing to "Classic" in the options has sorted it out. A very solid 8 from me now.

54 minutes ago, deKay said:

I didn’t like the demo of the not-really-a-sequel-because-it’s-a-different-sort-of-game any where near as much as the original. Instead of being an evolution of Banjo Kazooie and therefore a game style that hasn’t really existed for two decades, it’s another 2D platformer of which 50 came out today. Unless the full game changes the way the game plays, I’m not sure I can be bothered with it.

It's really fucking quality though. Up there with Tropical freeze in many ways.

Headsup the Final Fantasy games are all half price at the moment. I picked up FF8 as the 7 remake got me in the mood for a PlayStation JRPG and it’s certainly scratching the itch.

edit: back to full price now sorry!

• Upvote 2
8 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Headsup the Final Fantasy games are all half price at the moment. I picked up FF8 as the 7 remake got me in the mood for a PlayStation JRPG and it’s certainly scratching the itch.

Is that still the case? All the Square stuff was on sale last week, but it ended on Sunday

I nearly missed the sale as I couldn't pick a FF to get. Just grabbed something before the sale ended without realising. Got 9 as I wanted the peak of the games with the old school battle system. 

5 hours ago, AK Bell said:

Is that still the case? All the Square stuff was on sale last week, but it ended on Sunday

I nearly missed the sale as I couldn't pick a FF to get. Just grabbed something before the sale ended without realising. Got 9 as I wanted the peak of the games with the old school battle system. 

Ah crap sorry yeah might have just missed it then.

That was a quick sale if so! feels like things are normally on offer for a few weeks. Maybe they were and didn’t bother telling anyone. 

14 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Ah crap sorry yeah might have just missed it then.

That was a quick sale if so! feels like things are normally on offer for a few weeks. Maybe they were and didn’t bother telling anyone. 

I think it was about a week. I've had them in my watchlist. 

17 hours ago, pulsemyne said:

It's really fucking quality though. Up there with Tropical freeze in many ways.

I don’t like Donkey Kong Country games either.

• Upvote 1
50 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

And I've seen the games you play to completion, you oddball.

On the SNES it was mainly the graphical style that turned me off (and on the GB it was because everything was impossible to see), but later games it was a combination of the difficulty and the weird inertia and jumping physics.

I did complete DKCR for what it's worth!

39 minutes ago, earlymodernsteve said:

Nice review. I similarly adored Roki and would highly recommend it. 

Every now and then I see another glowing review for Roki. I know it's out on Steam, but is there any news on the Switch release? The last thing I saw just said it was 'soon'.