Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

7 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

I had a teacher who indoctrinated us to avoid ever using that word but it is perfect in this case. It is nice. Ideal morning gaming to pick me up after my daily check of “Coming Soon” still shows no sign of Sega Picross :angry:

The only other adjective I'd give it is adorable.

And yes, where the fuck is my Sega Picross!?

On 31/07/2020 at 12:51, friedgold said:

Has anyone picked up Merchants of the Skies yet? Looks like my kind of whimsical, trading simulator but reviews are thin on the ground. That said, if anyone can recommend something along those lines - ideally with a sandbox mode or at least a decent length campaign I'm all ears. Moonlighter was brilliant but I've kind of exhausted it now.

I don't think anyone ever responded to this. I ended up buying it on Steam as then I can play it on the laptop while the OH is playing Animal Crossing or 51 games.

Short version: It's flawed, but I really like it for what it is and lost a good chunk of time to it on Sunday.

Longer Version: 

I'm curious to know how the controls work on Switch because they're a little flawed on OSX / PC. Which is weird considering it feels like it'd be great with a mouse and KB, but the keyboard shortcuts are lacking. There are glaring UI flaws. Sometimes a tooltip for something in the trade interface just lays on top of the actual trade UI buttons and it's really unintuitive to get rid of it, and some better thought on the UI and placing things around the edge of the screen would have gone a long way. 

All the visuals in towns are nice but effectively the visual town of different buildings is really just a menu, but one you have to drag the whole screen to select a button. But the reason I'm going on about this is it might actually be a lot better with a controller as you would hopefully be able to use different controls to scroll through everything, it's a little tiresome with a mouse / trackpad.

But with that over...I think the gameplay is spot on when you get past the UI issues. 

It's like a very very light mix of Elite and Stardew Valley. Strange as that sounds. The art style is quite lovely, I love the muted reddish colours. You get a ship, it gets really shitty mileage and you cannot get very far before having to stop and refuel. You've got no cargo space and no money, but this is where the Elite thing kicks in. Buy a paltry amount of something cheap like wood, but sell it for just a little bit more. Keep doing that over and over, travelling to different islands, eventually you figure out your own personal trade route - one where you have to balance your electricity (to your ship as petrol is to a car), time for islands to restock, and above all a route where you can buy low from one island, sell high to another. Hopefully the one buying high is selling something else for low.

You can take on passengers and side quests on top for a bit of extra cash. Eventually you can spend your money on upgrades and then...where it starts to go a bit Stardew, you can buy islands with raw materials and set up little factories that produce the goods you were previously just buying and selling. Then the game progresses into your own mini resource empire, where you go around collecting resources after they start to stock pile and sell them on. You can start building factories to process the raw materials, wheat into flour, flour into bread. Sand into glass, glass into bottles. Then you have to start thinking about distributing resources - you need to ship those glass bottles over to your apple farms, so that the workers there can use them to bottle apple juice. I just got a ship that is much more efficient, so thankfully I"m not worrying about refueling constantly any more, because I have bigger concerns at hand. The game is good at progressing your concerns forward I think.

On top of this there are various lite story quests, where you have to perform missions (which are often cases of amassing certain resources and delivering them, or ferrying passengers around) to unlock little bits of dialogue. I'm not very far in. There are also a few random things you meet along the way which I won't spoil, but it's really delightful.

I'm at a point now where I've got so many little things to do I actually have to pace myself and assign one task at a time, I think it'll get to a point where I'm just endlessly making cash and the game will fizzle out but so far I really enjoy it. All of the above seems like a lot of stuff to do, but you're not really waiting around for things to happen, it's all quite instant, buying, selling, travelling, uncovering the map are quick and you're not delayed by a lot of fancy animations (you can actually turn off the 'docking' animation), it's the kind of game that could have entirely been done with pure UI menus and icons alone. 

As I said, it's a lot lighter than something like Elite or Stardew valley. It's I think, probably quite a short timesink, which is good. I want to just get totally absorbed by it, but not so much so I never get round to any other games. 

• Upvote 3
On 18/08/2020 at 06:19, Yasawas said:

I feel sufficiently empowered to admit buying Letter Quest Remastered in the current sale and loving it. 

It was on PS+ a few years ago and I completed it twice - once on the Vita and once on the PS4. It's a great game.

• Upvote 1

I have about 35 quid of eShop credit.

Thinking Manifold Garden, but then should I get Raji, which looks lush, or Lonely Mountains: downhill plus A Short Hike? 

Decisions, decisions.

7 minutes ago, smac said:

Thinking Manifold Garden, but then should I get Raji, which looks lush, or Lonely Mountains: downhill plus A Short Hike? 

Decisions, decisions.

1. Lonely Mountains: Downhill

2. Manifold Gardens

3. Raji

4. A Short Hike

I have only played about an hour of Raji and A Short Hike apiece. In all honesty, you can't go wrong with any of them. But Lonely Mountains is one of the best games of last year and really 'one more go'-ish if it grabs you. 

• Upvote 2

I reckon that's tipped me over for Lonely Mountains, thanks @mdn2!

Going to get A Short Hike too because it's nice and cheap and short and looks well cute. 

Can't wait to download them both and then sigh and play Animal Crossing. 

• Upvote 2
25 minutes ago, smac said:

Sounds like 'Another 25 quid of credit and get them all' to me :-)

3 minutes ago, Jolly said:

I reckon that's tipped me over for Lonely Mountains, thanks @mdn2!

If either of you have Gamepass, Lonely Mountains is on there if you want to try it out. I put hours into the Xbox version but bought the Switch port as soon as it was released because the game is ideal for handheld play. It's a fantastic game. 

1 hour ago, mdn2 said:

If either of you have Gamepass, Lonely Mountains is on there if you want to try it out. I put hours into the Xbox version but bought the Switch port as soon as it was released because the game is ideal for handheld play. It's a fantastic game. 

Spiritfarer is on there too. It seems very good. 

1 hour ago, smac said:

Decisions, decisions.

Lonely Mountains is dire. 

On the Xbox at least.

• Empathy 1
3 hours ago, Mike S said:

Lonely Mountains is dire. 

On the Xbox at least.

Wut? It's like a super sprint mountain biking game with fantastic controls and really nice art style. One of the most original things I've played in ages. It's absolutely fucking awesome and everyone should try it. 

• Upvote 8
2 minutes ago, Hylian said:

Wut? It's like a super sprint mountain biking game with fantastic controls and really nice art style. One of the most original things I've played in ages. It's absolutely fucking awesome and everyone should try it. 

I found the controls to be atrocious. That, and the view restriction/viewpoint just sucked all enjoyment out of it for me.

The art style is 'nice', that's about as kind as you can be I guess, but it's neither fresh nor original.

Bad game.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1
5 minutes ago, Mike S said:

I found the controls to be atrocious. That, and the view restriction/viewpoint just sucked all enjoyment out of it for me.

The art style is 'nice', that's about as kind as you can be I guess, but it's neither fresh nor original.

Bad game.

4 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Best game.

Well I’ve had no interest in this at all but I’m going to have to buy it now to find out which one of you is right aren’t I!

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Jolly said:

Genuinely don't know what to go for from the sale and that total eclipse of a shadow drop yesterday. Bewildered by the choice. 

I preordered Hypnospace Outlaw.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

Well I’ve had no interest in this at all but I’m going to have to buy it now to find out which one of you is right aren’t I!

I'm sure I am an outlier but it is one of those games that I am genuinely baffled by how popular they are. At the very best it is the definition of average so a decent Game Pass filler but nothing more.