IGNORED

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

Gotters

Just blew £40 and a few gold points on the eShop, but what a selection of games I got. All currently on offer.

Huntdown - £16.19

A Short Hike - £5.66

Glass Masquerade double pack - £2.96

The Adventure Pals - £2.69

Horizon Chase Turbo - £5.39

Lapis X Labyrinth - £8.99

On 19/08/2020 at 16:28, Stanley said:

Anyone tempted by Evergate? I love the look of it, A Short Hike is a steal at just over a fiver, and Raji looks nice -really looking forward to Windbound next week too. 

Not sure if you are still looking into Evergate (or have it already), but Nintendo Life have just reviewed it and loved the game:

'Evergate is a wonderfully designed puzzle-platformer that starts off strong and goes from strength to strength over the course of its campaign.

.. this really is an essential purchase for puzzle/platforming fans and a standout example of its genre on Switch.'

Excellent 9/10

Can read the full review here.

HTH

Not sure if it’s still on sale for £1.99 but I’m really enjoying The Warlock of Firetop Mountain. Good production values, presentation and combat interesting enough to keep me plugging on. Definitely recommended for those who liked Fighting Fantasy books as a wee person, which I assume is basically everyone nerdy enough to register on an Internet gaming forum. 

I decided against it because I've spent a good sum in small games recently and the Switch pile of shame groweth ever taller.

What is it with the ludicrous discounts on Switch? It's a pain in the arse because most of us are wired to go "90% off?! Even if it's shit [insert justification here]!”

Then we just have libraries clogged up with guff.

8 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I decided against it because I've spent a good sum in small games recently and the Switch pile of shame groweth ever taller.

What is it with the ludicrous discounts on Switch? It's a pain I. The arse because most of us are wired to go "90% off?! Even if it's shit [insert justification here]!”

Was like that with the play store with the advent ofsmart phones initially then within a year had to be much stricter about purchases due to memory space constraints. I now hardly ever purchase apps for my phone.

4 hours ago, Yasawas said:

Not sure if it’s still on sale for £1.99 but I’m really enjoying The Warlock of Firetop Mountain. Good production values, presentation and combat interesting enough to keep me plugging on. Definitely recommended for those who liked Fighting Fantasy books as a wee person, which I assume is basically everyone nerdy enough to register on an Internet gaming forum. 

Yeah, I loved it. Felt just like the game books had come to life. Floor plans even remind me of the maps I used to draw, only with all the actual props I imagined in my head now on screen. And the room encounters and special art pages :wub:

Two quid is much less than you'd pay if they republished the paperback, these days...

4 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

What is it with the ludicrous discounts on Switch? It's a pain in the arse because most of us are wired to go "90% off?! Even if it's shit [insert justification here]!”

I read an article from a dev bemoaning this practice. The perception is discoverability is poor on the eshop, so people try to game it by having permanent sales, so at least their games appear in the offers section. It is ludicrous - I tried to scroll to the end of it but it just kept coming.

4 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

I'm building up a solid watchlist and I'll only buy on sale if it's already on the list. 

Even if I discover it on sale, I just stick in my list and wait on the next sale to consider it. Or at least give it a few days and fate can decide. 

Often I find myself not being arsed second time round and it drops off the list. 

It's saving me a bloody fortune. It's still costing me a fortune tho!

38 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Just done the first episode of Stories Untold. Goddamn, I wish I'd played this at night. And with headphones. That was actually, properly excellent. 

I get happy when I see people enjoy this! And yes anybody else reading with this in your backlog, play it at night with headphones!

13 minutes ago, therearerules said:

I get happy when I see people enjoy this! And yes anybody else reading with this in your backlog, play it at night with headphones!

I started this a few days ago and am also really enjoying it. Up to episode four now. Foolishly played episode three in the daytime without headphones and regretted it. 

13 minutes ago, therearerules said:

I bought it after your impressions the other week so thanks for the heads up. Just done the second story and it's got proper 'Stranger Things' vibes. I'm tempted to create a thread for it - I used to try and create a thread for somewhat overlooked titles once every couple of weeks and I feel this could do with a wider audience. 

1 hour ago, mdn2 said:

Just done the first episode of Stories Untold. Goddamn, I wish I'd played this at night. And with headphones. That was actually, properly excellent. 

Just checked out the trailer based on your post mdn2, looks very cool! Added to my wish list, or the pre-pile pile as I like to call it. 

27 minutes ago, Paulando said:

The best way of browsing the eShop sales is on this page, sorted by Metacritic score: https://eshop-prices.com/games/on-sale?currency=GBP&direction=desc&sort_by=score

You will miss the hidden gems that have no reviews, but you’re never going to find them on the eShop anyway.

Is there a way of showing that list only with the UK eShop price instead of whichever region happens to be cheapest?

53 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

Really hoping that Windbound is good, game is out tomorrow but can't see any reviews yet @bradigor know if you are going to be reviewing the game?

Positive preview from IGN recently:

Asked but didn't get a code.

I just filter to £0-£8.99 lowest price first and then check every game that looks like it will appeal to me. Don’t matter if a game has a metacritic 90 if the screen shots don’t catch my fancy then it doesn’t catch my time.

2 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Bloody hell I had this on the ZX Spectrum! It used to shit my pals and me right up 

7 hours ago, Yasawas said:

Bollocks. This seems to not be in the sale now. £19.99. Will have to wait till the next time.

2 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Bloody hell I had this on the ZX Spectrum! It used to shit my pals and me right up :lol:

Oh man. Now I need to play this for comparison’s sake!

While we’re grumbling about the eShop incidentally I would like to mention how much I loathe the feature where lingering on an icon starts scrolling screenshots so I can’t actually tell the name of the thing I’m looking at. Great!