Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

Gotters

24 minutes ago, Stoikovich said:

Cuphead’s down to £12.  It’s always appealed to me due to the great art style buuut it’s supposed to be hard.  Is there much fun to be had for me and my 7-year old?

We picked up Katamari and the controls left her cold ( Wife and I love it!)

It's brilliant but it's the hardest game I've ever finished, including Sekiro. Unless your 7 year old is a gaming prodigy, I doubt she'll enjoy it. You might, though.

ta for the views on Cuphead.  I think I would persist with it just to do it rather than actually *having fun*.  Does look good but time is a bit tight these days

Daughter has now picked out Donut County instead, and we also bought Sayonara Wild Hearts which I think is going to be nicely entertaining.

I would say Cuphead is hard but personally I don't think it's the hardest I've played. 

This is largely because each boss battle, even when successful, is done in under 2 minutes. Even when it was tough - and it does get tough - I always felt surviving for those two minutes was doable. 

This brevity makes restarting so many times much more bearable. There's no Dark Souls/Metroid trek back from a save point to the boss battle just to die in the first phase as you're learning. You're constantly doing the learning part. I didn't really feel like the boss battles were a war of attrition - just a sense of cutting down on mistakes and gradually getting past parts with more health. The run and gun levels were harder at times. 

I played it again in co-op with my non-gamer partner and I was surprised even she liked it (admittedly we only did the first island). It's easier in co-op, though much more frantic with a second player. 

That said, I think it's probably too hard for a 7 year old. I think they may spend a lot of their time dead and needing reviving. I think the other player can probably pull them through a lot of content, but there might be a lot of times where they are overly reliant on you. 

Some more shit's been added, off the top of my head Into The Breach and House Flipper, about 6 quid and 12 quid respectively.

Dungeon Of The Endless has been on sale for a while and is less than 4 quid, I'm enjoying that on Game Pass. Children of Morta is less than a tenner and is a fantastic narrative driven rogue like.

Oh, Wilmot's Warehouse is 8 quid (again playing it on Game Pass so can't speak for the Switch version) and that's a novel puzzler which is charming as shit. And once again I'm going to tell you if you like your Meteoidvania games and you haven't played Sundered then you need to get on that for 3 quid and change.

21 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Is Shovel Knight: King of Cards just a card game spin off of the main games, or is it another run through with a different character, similar to Plague of Shadows, or whatever it was called?

The latter, it's the fourth campaign, you play as King Knight, and with new levels unlike Plague of Shadows. It's very good, maybe pipped by Spectre of Torment.

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Also, Dead Cells has been nerfed now, right? I bought it when it first came out and enjoyed it a lot, but I never felt like I was getting anywhere close to the end and gave up before selling it on, but if it's easier now then I might give it another go for a tenner.

I believe I played Dead Cells after a major update and never felt it was unfair or too challenging. I'm usually a bit clunky at skill based games so I think most competent gamers should be able to do it with a bit of persistence. For comparison I found Hollow Knight and Celeste harder (both of which I completed but with more of a struggle).

9 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

I believe I played Dead Cells after a major update and never felt it was unfair or too challenging. I'm usually a bit clunky at skill based games so I think most competent gamers should be able to do it with a bit of persistence. For comparison I found Hollow Knight and Celeste harder (both of which I completed but with more of a struggle).

Cheers. I've finished both HK and Celeste, too, but lost patience with DC, so I may well give it another go.

I think I'm going to pick up:

Kentucky Route Zero

Horace

Dead Cells

Shovel Knight: King of Cards

Lair of the Clockwork God

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes

Good haul!

5 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

On Switch though? If you own Treasure Trove you don't need to buy King of Cards separately. 

No - I bought the original on the Wii U and then the next two separately, before Treasure Trove was a thing. Thanks for pointing it out anyway, though.