Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

Gotters

9 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

Has anyone played the ports of Baldur's Gate/2 or Planescape Torment/Icewind Dale on Switch?

They are in the sale but reviews suggest they can be a bit clunky...

They are defintely playable (and fully featured - I have them all on Switch, as well as all the PC big box originals) but the screen size makes handheld play a little compromised, especially on the lite. Having said that, if you told me 20 years ago that I could play Baldurs Gate on a handheld I wouldn't have believed you....

1 hour ago, makkuwata said:

It all works well enough, but I also have Pillar's of Eternity and Divinity: Original Sin II installed so it tends to sit in my nostalgia pile with the PS1 Final Fantasy games.

How is Pillars these days? Heard it was riddled with issues on release and the devs weren't exactly forthcoming with fixes.

I find most things I've played which are ports of heavily pc-centric games like that really are a bit shit on the handheld screen. Either the interface is too small, or they make up for that but then it's too big and clutters up the screen. Civ 6 is just too fiddly for example. 

13 hours ago, ox1973 said:

They are defintely playable (and fully featured - I have them all on Switch, as well as all the PC big box originals) but the screen size makes handheld play a little compromised, especially on the lite. Having said that, if you told me 20 years ago that I could play Baldurs Gate on a handheld I wouldn't have believed you....

Would you recommend them to someone who plays docked almost 100% of the time?

On 27/12/2020 at 21:31, Wiper said:

Yeah, I'm very much looking forward to that. Though I should really finish SMT IV first!

Incidentally, of the games I mentioned above, Persona Q 1 & 2, plus Soul Hackers are on sale on the eshop for sub-£10 at the moment, and all are variations on a theme of great.* Should probably flag up that Soul Hackers is pretty old school (being, as it is, a remake of a Saturn game), but for me that's half the appeal.

*well, I've not played Q 2 yet, but I've heard good things

I want to play Soul Hackers but nothing coming up on search. Is this in another region?

3 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Would you recommend them to someone who plays docked almost 100% of the time?

Yeah, docked should be fine, it's the lack of screen real estate that's the main problem. The game was designed for mouse and keyboard of course but the controls work well enough on Switch.

On 27/12/2020 at 15:25, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

On the downside, the menus and presentation are incredibly basic and clunky

The font is an abomination. Coupled with the habit of replacing all the vowels in players names, it basically leads to things being unreadable for me, which massively puts me off playing it.

3 hours ago, Dig Dug said:

That 3DS sale is insane, I've been wanting many of those games. Thanks @Wiper

Glad to be of service!

On a similar note, I just remembered that SMT: Strange Journey Redux is a thing (Atlus's business sense in full flow, there, releasing a 3DS-only remake of a relatively niche DS game in 2018), and lo, that's on sale too. Never played that particular entry in the series, so may have to give it a go myself! Outside of dungeon crawlers, the 3DS rerelease of Radiant Historia is also on sale. Not really my bag, that one (just didn't get on with the story/storytelling), but I remember it being very fondly received on DS. Both are £6.74, which is good enough that I'm considering trying RH a second time.

A shame there isn't better discoverability on the eShop - that you can filter the shop to show only discounted Switch titles, but not discounted 3DS titles, is frustrating. I'm assuming there's a wider Atlus 3DS sale going on, but no way to actually view it as a coherent whole.

I've been waiting years for the Fire Emblem Echoes DLC to go on sale. I'm starting to think it will never happen. Without some way to check sales easily I'll never know.
I might just log onto 3ds eshop every thursday from now on even though sales on the platform are rare now.

17 hours ago, deerokus said:

I find most things I've played which are ports of heavily pc-centric games like that really are a bit shit on the handheld screen. Either the interface is too small, or they make up for that but then it's too big and clutters up the screen. Civ 6 is just too fiddly for example. 

200 hours plus and most of it handheld, I must be some kind of masochist. Although to be fair I agree in general, but I would call out Civ and Divinity 2 as being good examples of working around the limitations. 

Totally unrelated - Every so often, today being one, it pops into my head that Nintendo have ported over literally every Wii U game they ever coded except NES Remix. I would love to see it again, or the SNES Remix we all wanted in preference and never saw :(

I've not played a Ys game before but it feels like a more spritely 2D Zelda and is entirely dungeon (so far). There's some more traditional RPG elements like levelling up and hit points but it's all very much in the background. The story is a little wank but it looks lovely; like an extremely polished SNES-style RPG. I've put VIII on the wishlist off the back of this in any case. 

It’s pretty different based on the little I played of Origin - I didn’t click with it and got beasted by the second boss over and over to the point where I assume I must’ve missed a tutorial at some point. It’s much more linear and basic for want of a better word (not a criticism) and I believe that not only is it all dungeon, it all takes place in the same dungeon. 

Yeah, a (light) warning both ways: Origin is a fair bit more 'old school' Ys than Memories of Celceta/Lacrimosa of Dana; which makes sense, seeing as it's both a) an earlier title, and b) intentionally set as a throwback to the early games.

The most obvious difference is that Origin is a solo dungeon crawl; whereas the newer games have a bit more 'adventure' beyond simple monster mashing, and you get a party of three to handle. They're all ARPGs though, so real-time action combat is the way with all of them, and they share a similar, somewhat light and breezy (and low on exposition) feel.

Glad to see the Switch crowd going through the same Ys discussions the Vita crew went through half a decade ago ;)

4 hours ago, bradigor said:

Ok as someone who likes Memories of Celceta on Vita, for likely am I to enjoy Origin? 

VIII is on the wishlist but not dropped low enough yet.

You definitely won't not enjoy it, but it might not hit the same satisfaction. 

The series has gone through several shifts in how it plays, but all the basic principles remain throughout really. 

Even the original 80s side scrollers have a certain enjoyment to them. 

@Wiper Right for some reason I want to buy Persona Q. Don't ask. I talked to @strawdonkey about it and he says it's essentially a charming reskin of Etrian Odyssey games. The sum total of that series I've played is Etrian Mystery Dungeon which was archaic and baffling. Will I be wasting my £9? I mean, it's not like I have time to play it anyway, but y'know rare games for cheap and a case of the magpies makes that not matter.