Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

A little tricky to determine, not helped by two things:

• Etrian Mystery Dungeon isn't a 'pure' Etrian Odyssey game, it's an Etrian Odyssey/Mystery Dungeon crossover
  • I've not played EMD, or indeed any Mystery Dungeon games, so can't guess how much that side of it will have impacted your enjoyment of it

With regards Q as a pure dungeon crawler though, I'd say it's one of the most approachable in the genre. It helps that it has more story, and stronger characterisation and presentation than most. It also builds up quite slowly, rather than throwing you right in at the deep end. It even includes (partial) auto-mapping, which is something a lot of the genre (including most EO games) lack. It does still expect you to fill in detail beyond basic wall layouts, though, it's just less laborious than most.

It is, however, archaic, in the way its genre tends to be; it's a turn-based, tile-based, first-person dungeon crawler, after all! Nonetheless, if the visuals/setting interest you, I'd say it's worth a shot - I tend to bounce off the EO games, largely because I find their setting a bit of a turn-off. Persona Q and the SMT games* are really the only modern games in the genre whose settings I enjoy, and it counts for a lot!

(I'd also say, if you're considering Persona Q, you may want to think about diving straight into Persona Q2; I've not yet played it, but it's meant to have a few QoL improvements over the first, and apparently plays fine as a standalone, and is the same price - well, 25p cheaper, in fact.)

*yes, technically Persona games are also SMT games, I know

17 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

@Wiper Right for some reason I want to buy Persona Q. Don't ask. I talked to @strawdonkey about it and he says it's essentially a charming reskin of Etrian Odyssey games. The sum total of that series I've played is Etrian Mystery Dungeon which was archaic and baffling. Will I be wasting my £9? I mean, it's not like I have time to play it anyway, but y'know rare games for cheap and a case of the magpies makes that not matter.

Do you like the Persona series?

I enjoyed Persona Q, coming from P3 and P4, and it was my first grid-based dungeon crawler. I preferred it to Etrian Odyssey (which I later tried) as I was familiar with the characters and enemies. I think I stopped around 30 hours in, as juggling so many Persona became a bit tiresome, but I definitely got 8 quid’s worth. Thinking of picking up PQ2 in this sale.

Also, oddly, I remember the first dungeon being one of the most difficult due to the lack of SP regeneration, which becomes less of a problem as you get further into the game. This was largely the same as P3 and P4, but it was definitely more pronounced here. Lovely game though.

Well I dusted off the 3DS, charged it up, updated it, then waited what seemed like forever for Persona Q2 to download, but I started it last night and it’s bloody wonderful so far. Love the battle system and the dungeon crawling. The story is absolute junk, of course, but the movie theatre setting is great (the shop is a concessions stand :lol:).

There's a load of new stuff in the sale, not much that hasn't previously been in regular sales though. I might finally pick up Timespinner and Red Strings Club as those don't seem to be in sales that often. 

Went to the russian eshop for the cheaper version of Phoenix Wright (dont usually bother with switching countries unless its a case of double/triple dipping on games I own on other platforms) whilst there thought I may was well pick up Samurai Shodown Deluxe edition as well. 

Oh man, this sale is going to kill me. I already have a huge backlog. but now a fair few games I had down to pick up when the ‘price is right’ are under £20. Today alone I’ve added Two Point Hospital for £17, Zombie Army Trilogy for £15, and NFS for £17.

I've been after a digital copy of MK8D for a while and it never seems to get reduced any cheaper than 30% off so I'm going to bite this time.

There's a couple of other bits I've seen too.

On 30/12/2020 at 11:12, moosegrinder said:

All that helps, thanks very much both :)

I hope you ended up trying the Persona Q games as I have racked up 120 hours on each and they are brilliant. The dungeon crawling is pure Etrian but the variety of settings really sets them apart.

4 hours ago, smac said:

I've been meaning to ask that for ages, as that always seems to be on sale.

Apparently it's basically a budget FFT. A bit dull, bland and not as deep. Might be worth a go if you really want an FFT type game but otherwise avoid.

Fell Seal gets recommended as a similar but much better game.

7 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Fell Seal is great. It's unashamedly FFTA, but that's a good thing. 

Yeah I played a bit of it on Steam ages ago. Think the switch would be a much better way to play it.

Different publishers. The first game was released in Europe by Atlus while Deep Silver published Q2. It’s the same with Steins Gate on Switch as well, different publishers for Zero and Elite.

14 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Right, ta. That's well fucking shit.

Personally, I think the first one is better. While I enjoyed the 2nd it didn't have the same inventive ideas in the dungeons.

Yeah, one of my favourite ST games (and one of a vanishingly small number that I actually finished). Never played the arcade version, so I'm particularly happy at the idea of picking up an arcade-perfect edition :)

On 06/01/2021 at 16:55, Wiper said:

Yeah, one of my favourite ST games (and one of a vanishingly small number that I actually finished). Never played the arcade version, so I'm particularly happy at the idea of picking up an arcade-perfect edition :)

The ST version was pretty much arcade perfect!