Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

Gotters

The Amnesia Collection is currently £2.52, which unsurprisingly is the lowest it’s ever been. 

If you haven’t tried it yet - and really, where have you been? - or you just fancy another playthrough, now’s the time. 

On 08/07/2021 at 12:11, shirubagan said:

Still. More light gun games, please. Confidential Mission, Ghost [nope]recon[/nope] Squad and Virtua Cop 1 & 2 to start with please Sega.

Madworld please 

On 08/07/2021 at 12:11, shirubagan said:

I didn't remember this was a thing. Same team as the panzer Dragoon remake. WTF is going on with the U? It's horrible. I hope it's Dev art and will be improved upon for the final release.

Still. More light gun games, please. Confidential Mission, Ghost [nope]recon[/nope] Squad and Virtua Cop 1 & 2 to start with please Sega.

Voice acting way to good. Must not try harder.

1 hour ago, Popo said:

How would light gun games work if the system has no way of knowing where the TV is and whether or not the joy con is pointing at it?

It doesn't need to know where the TV is. There are plenty of point-the-joycon-at-the-screen games that work just fine.

10 hours ago, Popo said:

The Amnesia Collection is currently £2.52, which unsurprisingly is the lowest it’s ever been. 

If you haven’t tried it yet - and really, where have you been?

I dunno 🤷‍♂️

22 minutes ago, deKay said:

It doesn't need to know where the TV is. There are plenty of point-the-joycon-at-the-screen games that work just fine.

That’s as may be… but how? :wacko:

8 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Sinking City is down to £11.24.. worth a go?

2 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Not sure how it runs on Switch but I thoroughly enjoyed it on Xbox. It's shonky eurojank hokum with all the peaks and troughs that come with the genre. 

FYI It looks really bad on Switch, low res and muddy and blurry and choppy. You should probably buy it on another platform if you want it. 

2 hours ago, Popo said:

That’s as may be… but how? :wacko:

Relative positioning. You point the joycon ostensibly at the screen and press a button and from then on the gyros know where you’re pointing relative to that.

Or, in other words, it doesn't work as a real substitute. Certainly not properly: traditional light gun games don't give you a pointer, the challenge (and most of the fun) comes from trying to sight down a gun quickly and accurately. Joycon shooters have to display a pointer at all times because the joycon itself has no idea what it's pointing at, and so the whole thing is an exercise in pointer control rather than judgement.

(aka. the same reason PC versions of light-gun shooters were infinitely less fun with mouse controls)

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Relative positioning. You point the joycon ostensibly at the screen and press a button and from then on the gyros know where you’re pointing relative to that.

OK, fair enough, but isn’t that what Skyward Sword uses? The same Skyward Sword that suffers from horrible pointer drift? I’m sceptical that it’s a satisfactory substitute. 

It isn’t really. I think pointer-based shooting games can be fine if the game is designed around that input, but the OG House of the Dead certainly wasn’t. 

50 minutes ago, Popo said:

OK, fair enough, but isn’t that what Skyward Sword uses? The same Skyward Sword that suffers from horrible pointer drift? I’m sceptical that it’s a satisfactory substitute. 

No idea as I haven't played it. But it's perfect for the pointer games I have played - World of Goo, The Room, darts on 52 Worldwide Games, Super Mario Party, Mario Maker, etc.

I don’t think the Switch pointer controls even come close to those of the Wiimote, let alone a lightgun. If the game is slow paced enough it can be passable but it’s always a compromise. 

My experience with the switch pointer is that it's more like a mouse than a light gun. 

You cannot look "down the barrel" and aim off it as you are just moving a cursor. 

Wii was similar but you could calibrate at one spot and not move from that spot for closer light gun accuracy (it did "correct" over time and you did lose your light gun accuracy) 

Has anyone played Undermine? I see its on sale atm and received very positive reviews, it was also on Game Pass recently which people might have tried it that way previously.

As a big fan of Dead Cells, Binding of Isaac, Hades, Mana Spark but couldn't get into Moonlighter (the trading and shop mechanic wasn't my thing). Am interested in possibly picking this up:

20 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

Has anyone played Undermine? I see its on sale atm and received very positive reviews, it was also on Game Pass recently which people might have tried it that way previously.

As a big fan of Dead Cells, Binding of Isaac, Hades, Mana Spark but couldn't get into Moonlighter (the trading and shop mechanic wasn't my thing). Am interested in possibly picking this up:

Undermine is amazing. I discovered this two weeks ago on gamepass just before it was about to expire and played it for ten plus hours. The only reason I didn't buy it immediately was because I read the news that is was going to be on discount this week but it was a long six days.

I've just spent most of my afternoon playing it. It's not Hades but it's a great compulsive rogue like. One of my favourites of this year.

Highly recommended (and don't be put off by the difficulty of the first few runs.)

20 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

Undermine is amazing. I discovered this two weeks ago on gamepass just before it was about to expire and played it for ten plus hours. The only reason I didn't buy it immediately was because I read the news that is was going to be on discount this week but it was a long six days.

I've just spent most of my afternoon playing it. It's not Hades but it's a great compulsive rogue like. One of my favourites of this year.

Highly recommended (and don't be put off by the difficulty of the first few runs.)

Excellent, thanks for the response.

Exact same thing with Undermine here. A bit gutted that I'll lose the progress I made on Xbox but hoping that I'll make up for that with the benefits of my experience starting it on Switch. Perfect for handheld too (just as well as I'm on a Lite). 

Nor sure if I'm missing something but wanted to get the above Undermine game and needed some eShop credit. Knew I had some Game gift card credit so went to their site to order some, as I have previously used them for PSN credit and they send the codes digitally within minutes of the purchase. But nope, for Nintendo eShop cards they seem to only post them out, which costs an additional £4.99 postage.

Just checked again with their PSN card (and XBox Live) and they still do them digitally, seems to be purely with Nintendo cards they just send out physical cards. Weird.

20 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Classic shmups Zero Gunner 2, Gunbird and Dragon Blaze are currently £3.95 each on the SA store.

Do not buy these or any other Psikyo game on eshop they are notoriously bad ports.