IGNORED

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

Gotters

On 18/11/2021 at 22:25, Rex Grossman said:

Thoughts on Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus now it’s massively reduced?

I really enjoyed it and I thought the story was superb., so much so that I bought the Season Pass. It's fucking hard though, which mean I often dropped the difficulty down to Easy or Very Easy. Basically every enemy can seem to 360 no scope you from anywhere on Medium. God knows what it's like on the higher settings.

I got this the other day - its an amazing port. Some of the cutscenes are extremely odd. 

I was just eyeing up Cruisn’ Blast on the e-shop…only £20, but then I watched the video and it immediately put me in mind of Sonic Racing, which I regard as one of the worst racers I’ve ever played. Did I sniff it right or is it a different style of game?

Just now, ZOK said:

I was just eyeing up Cruisn’ Blast on the e-shop…only £20, but then I watched the video and it immediately put me in mind of Sonic Racing, which I regard as one of the worst racers I’ve ever played. Did I sniff it right or is it a different style of game?

It’s not good, to be honest – think of a smartphone game ported to the Switch, but  sold as a (nearly) full-price game. It’s very, very shallow too.

@ZOK I've only played it a little bit (I got it for my kid who thinks it is wonderful but he is only 7 years old and car games have to be pretty bad for him to not like them) but this seemed the most accurate take:

I very much enjoy how ludicrous everything looks, garish colours and everything exaggerated beyond all sense. Driving a triceratops is exactly the same in terms of handling and speed as a UFO as a Corvette as a Formula 1-style racecar. And there's a catchy song!  So overall the game is a bit of a joke and not everybody (eg PP there ^) find it a funny one. I can never remember which Sonic racing game is which to compare them.

Hmm…cheers guys, that doesn’t sound like it’s what I’m after really.

The Sonic Racing @milko was either on the Wii or XBone, I can’t remember which, just that we had it at work and I thought it was terrible.

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

Hmm…cheers guys, that doesn’t sound like it’s what I’m after really.

The Sonic Racing @milko was either on the Wii or XBone, I can’t remember which, just that we had it at work and I thought it was terrible.

You can't be talking about Sonic Racing Transformed surely? That game is really good.

31 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Cruisin is one of those games serious that wasn't fit to lick the boots of Ridge and Daytona but for some reason it's loved in these parts. 

neither of those let you race a nitrous-equipped dinosaur against a police Lamborghini though. They’re definitely better racing games, but very different. 

10 hours ago, deerokus said:

I played it on game pass, enjoyed it but found the difficulty balance a bit off.

10 hours ago, Jolly said:

I completely loved it. It does get pretty difficult right towards the end, but that was my favourite bit.

10 hours ago, shirubagan said:

I really enjoyed it and I thought the story was superb., so much so that I bought the Season Pass. It's fucking hard though, which mean I often dropped the difficulty down to Easy or Very Easy. Basically every enemy can seem to 360 no scope you from anywhere on Medium. God knows what it's like on the higher settings.

Its got a bat shit crazy plot that is well worth the price of admission and it’s so elegantly acted against the absolute lunacy of some of the twists.

The difficulty balance is off though, it’s just too bloody hard in places on medium but far too easy on the lower settings.

Its still worth playing but it’s the weakest of the reboot series for me (yes I did prefer Youngblood as the main game mechanics are better executed although the story is bobbins).

15 hours ago, deerokus said:

I played it on game pass, enjoyed it but found the difficulty balance a bit off.

Aye I dabbled with it on GP myself, enough to realise both that it was good and playing it with that controller was going to drive me mental. 

14 hours ago, Jolly said:

I completely loved it. It does get pretty difficult right towards the end, but that was my favourite bit.

Enthused. Every so often I get thoroughly smitten by a hard game provided they do it right and I have high hopes this will. It feels great to play which goes a long way to alleviate frustration for me.

I played through it on switch on release and found it decent, provided you like Wolfenstein type games and a better game/story than the first (albeit even more bonkers). It can get a bit blurry at times but that’s the trade off with handheld. More or less pointless playing it docked which just amplified those issues.

20 hours ago, bradigor said:

My son has £40 credit on the Switch from his birthday and is torn between P5 Strikers and Marvel Ultimate Alliance III

Hive mind, help him decide.

I din't like Persona 5 Strikers. I like Warriors games, but they added stealth - so instead of beating up absolutely everyone, you're supposed to avoid confrontation, which just seemed very wrong to me.

I picked up the excellent Grindstone in the sale for about £6.50. I've got it for PC already, but it's much better suited to handheld as it was originally an Apple Arcade game.

You play as a jaded Norse warrior and have to slash through monsters of the same colour to create longer and longer chains. Kill a chain of ten enemies and a grindstone will drop on the board. Slash through this and it lets you switch to a different-coloured monster to extend your chain even further, to the point where it feels like you can clear the entire board if the stones and monsters fall right. Before long the game adds a load of different complications to the mix, like obstacles on the board, enemies who you need to build up enough momentum to be able to slash through, and various different one-time-only power ups that you can equip before each level. What's more is that the longer you stay in a level the greater the rewards, but the deadlier enemies become, so there's a delicious risk/reward tension bubbling under the surface the entire time, too. With over 200 levels, daily challenges and other incentives to keep you coming back, it's more or less endless. Plus, the music and sound design is great, especially the steadily-building chant that activates whenever you get a really long chain, and the sprites are expressive and well-animated.

If you're looking for something to get addicted to, I'd thoroughly recommend it!

cbb69b74be8cc5847ce7633128875604011d8cca78c70cdb6285527658cb258a.jpg.d25f207417c56b8e7cdc6d8c57b52de4.jpg

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I picked up the excellent Grindstone in the sale for about £6.50. I've got it for PC already, but it's much better suited to handheld as it was originally an Apple Arcade game.

You play as a jaded Norse warrior and have to slash through monsters of the same colour to create longer and longer chains. Kill a chain of ten enemies and a grindstone will drop on the board. Slash through this and it lets you switch to a different-coloured monster to extend your chain even further, to the point where it feels like you can clear the entire board if the stones and monsters fall right. Before long the game adds a load of different complications to the mix, like obstacles on the board, enemies who you need to build up enough momentum to be able to slash through, and various different one-time-only power ups that you can equip before each level. What's more is that the longer you stay in a level the greater the rewards, but the deadlier enemies become, so there's a delicious risk/reward tension bubbling under the surface the entire time, too. With over 200 levels, daily challenges and other incentives to keep you coming back, it's more or less endless. Plus, the music and sound design is great, especially the steadily-building chant that activates whenever you get a really long chain, and the sprites are expressive and well-animated.

If you're looking for something to get addicted to, I'd thoroughly recommend it!

cbb69b74be8cc5847ce7633128875604011d8cca78c70cdb6285527658cb258a.jpg.d25f207417c56b8e7cdc6d8c57b52de4.jpg

Oh nice this has been on my list for a while.