Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

Gotters

Getting into Banner Saga, I had a quick look at a guide (for tips on how to do battles properly) and noticed there are only 4 chapters and I am already on the second. Is this a game where you are encouraged to play through more than once? Or are the like of Chapters 3 and 4 much much longer?

12 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Getting into Banner Saga, I had a quick look at a guide (for tips on how to do battles properly) and noticed there are only 4 chapters and I am already on the second. Is this a game where you are encouraged to play through more than once? Or are the like of Chapters 3 and 4 much much longer?

Finished this today. There's 7 chapters. If it was the ign guide you were looking at, it's incomplete.

I fired up Raging Justice again today and opted for the easy setting, but was still unable to reach the end before getting a game over. For a game that’s trying to appeal to a sense of nostalgia for side scrolling fighters, I wasn’t able to find any joy in the stages or bad guys. They lacked the charm and enthusiasm which the developers themselves seem full of; too bad that enthusiasm didn’t translate into the product. And I think that could be overlooked, but the mechanics of the game itself are unsatisfying, being too difficult and unfair in execution to warrant comparisons with games like Streets of Rage. 

I finally ‘finished’ Vostok Inc. today. I was really hoping that the desire for one more hit would go away after beating the final boss, but apparently that perfect high can only be achieved once I’ve unlocked all the buildings and upgrades. I’m sure I won’t need to do all the achievements. Yep, definitely won’t need to do that. Definitely. 

I bought Hyper Sentinel. It's a fun shooter that is fairly generous with initial 'health' that also recharges if you can avoid hits or collisions for a few seconds. There are around 13 levels / ships to clear, each one with a small end boss. The action is faced paced but the levels are fairly short. Evasion of enemies is just as important as shooting accuracy. I found that ground enemies who fire are more troublesome than the flying ones, which generally are small and fairly sparse so easily dodged or left alone. Clearing all ground targets is important as you have to destroy each one before the boss will appear, then it's on to the next level. 

Two unexpected things about the game:

- it's quite Minter-eseque in its presentation with some bright effects and occasional very retro digitised speech.

- you have infinite continues in normal mode and your score doesn't reset after losing your life, so the overall leaderboard is more a reflection of persistence than skill, but that's fine by me (I'm currently #7th in the world)

As well as playing for score there are 5 medals to unlock for each level and any level can be replayed in isolation for a score attack as there are leaderboards per level. Only downer there is the lack of a friends filter on the high score tables. 

There are graphics filters for Spectrum, C64 and CRT although I've not tried them, default presentation is retro enough for me.

Overall well worth a tenner. 8/10.

Oh! Hyper sentinel is on switch! Just added to my steam wishlist after the recent Kim justice video. 

Uridium 2 was a lot of fun on the amiga, grabbed number 1 on the Wii c64 virtual console so well looking forward to giving it a go. 

Edit: Video 

1 hour ago, mwaawm said:

Right pinball arcade downloaded but where the hell is the Adams family? I have it on my Note 8 but was looking forward to playing on the big  screen with physical controls....

Yeah, they're lying. Just shitty Stern tables and wack Gottlieb packs at the moment.

In other news, remember to pre-order Runner 3 via the South African store – £9 compared to £20 on the UK store.

2 hours ago, mwaawm said:

Right pinball arcade downloaded but where the hell is the Adams family? I have it on my Note 8 but was looking forward to playing on the big  screen with physical controls....

Due to the expiring contract with Williams/Bally they can’t even start selling them on Switch. Only those that were made available beforehand. This is why the Switch release was postponed to start with. Very shitty. Due to Tate mode I was kind debating to make the Switch my main platform for Pinball Arcade. Alas...

This weeks offerings from the EU store 

I was looking forward to a new Pixeljunk Monsters but the demo felt an awful lot like the first one, with nothing much new added. N++ may test my resolve as despite having it on PS4, and not liking as much as N+, I do love a new game on Switch to play.

https://www.thumbsticks.com/nintendo-eshop-releases-may-24-05212018/

ACA NeoGeo Top Players’ Golf – £6.29

Arcade Archives Ikki – £6.29

Atomine – £8.09 – (25th)

Baobabs Mausolem Ep.1 – £5.39

Calculation Castle: Greco’s Ghostly Challenge “Addition” – £7.50

Calculation Castle: Greco’s Ghostly Challenge “Division”  – £7.50

Calculation Castle: Greco’s Ghostly Challenge “Multiplication”– £7.50

Calculation Castle: Greco’s Ghostly Challenge “Subtraction” – £7.50

Dead Fun Pack: Penguins and Aliens Strikes Again – TBC

Disco Dodgeball – Remix – £10.79 – (22nd)

Dungeon Rushers – £13.49 – (25th)

Enigmatis 2: The Mists of Ravenwood – £13.49 – (25th)

Escape Game: Aloha – £4.49

Jurassic Pinball – £1.79

Mecha Storm – £17.99 – (25th)

Mega Man Legacy Collection – £11.99 – (22nd)

Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 – £11.99 – (22nd)

N++ – £13.49

PixelJunk Monsters 2 – TBC – (25th)

Professional Construction – The Simulation – £35.99 – (22nd)

Punch Club – £13.49

Runner3 – £20.22 – (22nd)

Super Sportmachen – TBC

Zen Bound 2 – £13.99

Pre-ordered Runner3 and it's downloading :omg:

What time do these things unlock on Switch? Is it midnight?

I'm confident my reactions will be up to the challenge of some rock hard rhythm action platforming after a few beers.

13 minutes ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

Why are buying rubber three it looks awful

Because rubber one was ace and rubber two was awesome and the reviews indicate that rubber three is good too, if not quite as good as rubber two maybe.

On 20/05/2018 at 22:45, Popo said:

I finally ‘finished’ Vostok Inc. today. I was really hoping that the desire for one more hit would go away after beating the final boss, but apparently that perfect high can only be achieved once I’ve unlocked all the buildings and upgrades. I’m sure I won’t need to do all the achievements. Yep, definitely won’t need to do that. Definitely. 

Um.... really sorry about this but.... ummm... there's a patch and the final boss drops a shed load more loot making getting more stuff a bit easier... also, there's another "cutscene" at the very end. It's a bit crap but it's an homage to some of my favorite games. Sorry. 

(also thanks for playing)

9 hours ago, dadrester said:

Um.... really sorry about this but.... ummm... there's a patch and the final boss drops a shed load more loot making getting more stuff a bit easier... also, there's another "cutscene" at the very end. It's a bit crap but it's an homage to some of my favorite games. Sorry. 

(also thanks for playing)

Can your next game be a bit less addictive, please?!

Vostok should be classified as a narcotic. :quote:

Vostok was great.

Just the right price too. Such a brilliant and addictive diversion, and I don't use that word in a critical way at all.

I also found it really funny. Loved the different alien races.

Played an hour or so of Wizard of Legend and I'm absolutely shit at it. Managed to get past the first stage of world 1 but got quickly killed in the second.

It chucks you in at the deep end after a small tutorial that covers the very basics of the game.

I'll need to play a lot more but it's excellent for a quick go. With 1 stage taking about 10 minutes.

Bit of an oldie, but I'm really struggling with Stardew Valley.

No real idea what I'm doing and the controls make no sense at all for me (particularly the menu navigation which is just horrible)

I've yet to find an "indie" title on the eshop that I really love

24 minutes ago, sandman said:

Bit of an oldie, but I'm really struggling with Stardew Valley.

No real idea what I'm doing and the controls make no sense at all for me (particularly the menu navigation which is just horrible)

I've yet to find an "indie" title on the eshop that I really love

The menu controls were literally broken at one point on Switch. I assume they've fixed them now as it was near to launch but it felt odd that a game could be released in that state. 

I felt as though there was very little rewarding game play. The farming aspect is the most interesting but it became a bit of a chore watering plants etc. and then just ending the day. And there never seemed enough time to do other stuff properly such as explore or go down the mine. It felt as though everything was just dragged out in order to prolong the game. 

Stick with it for a bit longer though because it might click for you.

17 hours ago, Fatsam said:

Because rubber one was ace and rubber two was awesome and the reviews indicate that rubber three is good too, if not quite as good as rubber two maybe.

What the fuck is Rubber?

@deKay - It should be Runner, as in Runner 3 I think. I suspect an autocorrect shenanigan originally.

Anyone got any idea how much PixelJunk Monsters 2 is going to be? The demo is promising, as long as it's not going to be £40 or something.