IGNORED

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

Gotters

8 minutes ago, Flub said:

DDMR DX is $1.34 in the US store. Dunno if it's on sale anywhere else.

USA, Mexico, Canada. 90p from Canada.

More importantly, FLINTHOOK is on sale, just over £6 from the Norwegian store. An excellent little platformer, with grappling hooks and space pirates.

Has anyone played Immortal Redneck? Worth £10?

40 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

So much for the argument that digital will make games cheaper for the consumer. 

If the digital RRP of a game is cheaper than the physical version, retailers will not stock it. It’s that simple. 

You could have picked up any of Nintendo's AAA games a few months ago for £20-22 during their big sale. I doubt you could pick up the physical from a retailer new that cheap. 

7 hours ago, OneDvBmbr said:

Go Vacation up for pre order

£39.99 though! Would have been tempted at half the price.

Nng...the old trailer looked promising.  This trailer with more detailed gameplay stuff makes it look really....well, makes it look really like what it is:  a cheap Nintendo Pilotwings Resort/Wii Sports knock off.   This has nothing on Wuhu island...it just looks slow and shit and who wants to walk horses around?!  

If this was £40 for an updated Wii Bowling, Tennis, Hang Glider, Dog Frisbee, Jet-Pack, Table Tennis, Squirrel Suit, bloody SWORD FIGHTING game all on Wuhu island, then I'd be pre-ordering right now.  :wub:

35 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

Has anyone in a position of power ever actually said this?

When I worked for Games ration waaaaaaay back when it was the general feeling it was what was going to happen. I seem to remember it being spoken about quite a bit that getting people to trade in towards Live points / PSN cards was crucial so we'd still see some money.

The lack of manufacturing, distribution and reduced marketing (is dummy sleeves, FSDUs for stores) would mean a cheaper product. The lower cost was also a counter to not having a physical product which you were able to trade in once you were done as platform holders / devs weren't amazingly happy with used games. 

50 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

When I worked for Games ration waaaaaaay back when it was the general feeling it was what was going to happen. I seem to remember it being spoken about quite a bit that getting people to trade in towards Live points / PSN cards was crucial so we'd still see some money.

The lack of manufacturing, distribution and reduced marketing (is dummy sleeves, FSDUs for stores) would mean a cheaper product. The lower cost was also a counter to not having a physical product which you were able to trade in once you were done as platform holders / devs weren't amazingly happy with used games. 

You didn't actually answer the question. I don't think the platform holders and publishers have ever talked about passing the savings onto customers. That said, the lack of those things don't mean a cheaper product. They mean reduced costs for the publisher.

On 05/07/2018 at 14:06, ann coulter said:

Okami preorder has gone up on the store now, I see. £15.99! Out 9th August. I was expecting Capcom to try for £40 or £50 on Switch. I'll be having that.

Doh! Just picked it up on PS4 today. :doh:

On 06/07/2018 at 22:57, Super Craig said:

You didn't actually answer the question. I don't think the platform holders and publishers have ever talked about passing the savings onto customers. That said, the lack of those things don't mean a cheaper product. They mean reduced costs for the publisher.

The RRP of games hasn't changed that much in 30 years. I remember SNES carts were £40, sometimes more if they were a big release ie Streetfighter 2.

Digital has its pluses but it gives a hell of a lot more control to publishers. There is zero resale value on a digital game. I still buy physical where I can because I can trade in, but those days are numbered.

Us consumers are not going to see the savings passed on. But at least I won't have to get up to change the disk.

3 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

The RRP of games hasn't changed that much in 30 years. I remember SNES carts were £40, sometimes more if they were a big release ie Streetfighter 2.

Looked through some of my reading copies of Super Play at the weekend, in 1993 there were few Super NES games under £45, judging from the mail order adverts. Anything that was under that price was most likely an early third-party Super Famicom game.

3 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

£40 in 1988 is equivalent to £102 in 2018. Or, if you like, £40 now was about £15.60 in 1988.

So the number hasn't changed in 30 years, perhaps, but the real world price has come down enormously.

24 minutes ago, deKay said:

£40 in 1988 is equivalent to £102 in 2018. Or, if you like, £40 now was about £15.60 in 1988.

So the number hasn't changed in 30 years, perhaps, but the real world price has come down enormously.

Yeah but the cost of living has risen enormously in that time leaving people with less disposable income than before.

14 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah but the cost of living has risen enormously in that time leaving people with less disposable income than before.

Nope:

1343285523_Figure9_Medianequivaliseddisposablehouseholdincomebyhouseholdtypefinancialyearending2017.png.b3495784dbe18d22e5fb4bb64150d6ce.png

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Doesn't feel like that to me. House prices and rent alone is massive compared to what it was.

Yes, but wages have also risen. It's all affected by inflation.

I dare say for a lot of people it is worse now than it was then, but overall, that isn't the case.

6 minutes ago, deKay said:

Yes, but wages have also risen. It's all affected by inflation.

I dare say for a lot of people it is worse now than it was then, but overall, that isn't the case.

In which case does it not just show the wealth gap has increased?

Less disposable income for many, but the few have a LOT more money and in turn a more disposable income. Which then skews those statistics. 

I may well be completely wrong, so feel free to shoot me down. 

8 minutes ago, bradigor said:

In which case does it not just show the wealth gap has increased?

Less disposable income for many, but the few have a LOT more money and in turn a more disposable income. Which then skews those statistics. 

I may well be completely wrong, so feel free to shoot me down. 

Sounds about right.

35 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Doesn't feel like that to me. House prices and rent alone is massive compared to what it was.

Whilst I'm not old enough to really remember what it was like in 1988, I'm sure it always feels like that to a certain extent even if it is not borne out by reality.  House prices may have gone up but conversely interest rates have come down, 13% in November 1988 compared to 0.5% now.  So even if your mortgage was lower, you'd be having to pay a lot more interest on servicing the mortgage. 

Some costs of living have undoubtedly increased, others have definitely decreased.  I think, however, for most people the actual burden of purchasing a game has decreased in real terms since the cost of games has remained relatively static over the years whilst inflation and wage increases have increased year on year.  It is amazing looking at those figures to see that an average game in 1988 would cost £102 now.  I do remember as a kid in the 90s I might only get a couple of games a year, I look at younger family members now and they have loads more games than I have, quite possibly because it is relatively easy to pick up games for a pittance if you wait a while after release.  Add into this that there are many ways to get free games with a fairly good value subscription (Xbox Live, Game pass etc.) and I definitely think the cost of gaming has come down. 

All I know is that a lot of people I speak to complain about the cost of fuel, food, mortgage etc. and struggle to maintain their lifestyles, perhaps even with both partners working full-time now too whereas once you got by on one income. It's definitely harder to get on the housing ladder now. I bought my first property for £28k back in 2001, I sold it for over 100k just 6 years later.