IGNORED

Mandy - Panos Cosmatos

Goose

Now I'm coming from a position of utterly hating BTBR. Cos bar it's amazing score it's a film in which fuck all happens.  It's a homage to 70's horror brilliance with no horror, no payoff nothing. All style and zero substance. 

So Mandy then. Now that's much more like it. Granted its slow start had me worried we were in Emperors new clothes land again but nope. He actually did it this time and made a great movie. Loved it. 

This was great fun, the small upstairs screen at PCC was packed with 100% the right audience and seeing it in that environment really added to my enjoyment. Went in with high expectations and it fully delivered. Give Panos a decent story and I think he’s capable of producing a masterpiece - this was good culty fun with beautiful direction, wonderful music and Cage knocking it out of the park. It’s perhaps a little too narratively simple, but what it does it does very well.

Spoiler

You know the bit where he has a sip of that liquid and his face melts off/explodes? I was certain that was going to pay off in the end where Cage is getting beaten to a pulp and so downs the entire bottle of that liquid, then in his mind he turns into a huge dragon zombie or something. Sort of like a scene from Popeye.

14 minutes ago, Grobbelboy said:

It was on US Netflix for a while but it seems to be gone everywhere now. I have the blu-ray and unfortunately it is indeed region locked (got a region-free player myself, mainly for Criterion blu-rays). 

Is it worth tracking down? 

Oh yes, I’d rate it slightly higher than Mandy and it was the sole reason I was hyped beyond belief for that film. Be prepared for the very deliberate pacing though. It works perfectly and creates a wonderful hazy atmosphere, but the “slowness” seems to catch some people off guard. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched this, I think I loved it, but what I really want is a game of it. All the way through I was thinking about a next-gen Manhunt based on this aesthetic. Would be glorious.

But yeah, what a movie. The most demented and unsettling baddies since the Cenobites, visually astonishing throughout where every frame could be a promo still, and a killer soundtrack. The most iconic and stylised work I'ver seen maybe ever, the look and colour grading/lighting was just beautiful. Kind of threadbare as a story but it delivered such massive aesthetic kicks it didn't really bother me - it was quite refreshing just to follow along easily and get sucked into the vibe they'd created.