IGNORED

The stand up comedy thread

NickC

Did a search and I don't think we have a thread on this. We should.

I don't get to go that often but when I do it's one of my favourite nights out. Last week I went to see a work in progress gig with James Acaster, Lou Sanders and a few other comics I hadn't heard of before. It was fantastic, and a bargain at £10 a ticket. I met James Acaster briefly on the way back from the toilet during the interval and he asked me, "Is this the comedy thing then?". I was a bit starstruck and mumbled "...Yes?".

I also go to see Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre every so often which is usually good fun, although that mainly depends on the guest.

Who have you seen recently? Who do you recommend seeing?

I saw Ed Byrne at the weekend, which was decent but a bit more scattershot than the last time I saw him. I went to Stewart Lee's new show last year, which was great, but does within the last year count as recent? If it does, then Lou Sanders bombed hard the only time I'd seen her, at the Empire in Belfast almost exactly a year ago and therefore still within limits. At least she was very aware it didn't go well, so I'm assuming with a different crowd she may be better. Also saw Tommy Tiernan at some point last year, that was good even if the venue (Armagh City Hotel) was pretty crap.

The only thing currently on the agenda is Dara O'Briain in September. He gets a bit of a mixed reception on the forum, I know, but I've always liked him. Saw him first way back when I was still at uni, so about 2003 I should think, playing in a side room at the Waterfront to a few hundred.

I do find that - a bit like music - seeing someone live, and preferably close up, is a different experience to watching on TV. Some comics I’ve liked more, some less.

Lou Sanders was good for me, she was utter filth but at the same time she had something interesting to say, and I think the audience were pretty up for that on the night I went.

I really liked Stewart Lee too. It was very funny when he broke character, giggling at his own pomposity.

It’s weird when an act bombs hard. The silence feels deadly. I’ve had it before where I found the comic hilarious but with no one else laughing I was stuck stifling chuckles to myself. No-one likes to draw attention to themselves, right? :ph34r:

Ed Gamble was great on Saturday. Some stuff I'd seen before when he's been on TV but loads of fresh stuff too.

Ed Byrne in March (second time seeing him).

I'm a huge fan of John Finnemore and he's doing a show in June in Basingstoke and my wife has managed to get tickets for that which is awesome!

I am seeing Stewart Lee for the 5th time next time, though it's a show I have already seen, though it was a work in progress the last time.

I am really pissed off I wont be able to catch Richard Herring on what could well be his last ever tour as he seems to avoid Hull now and he isn't even playing York this time.

22 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

I am seeing Stewart Lee for the 5th time next time, though it's a show I have already seen, though it was a work in progress the last time.

I am really pissed off I wont be able to catch Richard Herring on what could well be his last ever tour as he seems to avoid Hull now and he isn't even playing York this time.

How come it could be Rich's last ever tour?

9 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

How come it could be Rich's last ever tour?

He stated in the last monthly email I got from him, saying 'this could be the last big tour I will ever do'.

Now he has two kids and is living in the country, I guess the days of going on long tours all over the country are behind him now.

"could be"

Ever since, what, the Sex Pistols in about 1997, I don't believe any tales of retirement. Some bands have come back at least twice on 'last ever farewell' tours now. I guess by saying 'big' tour he has a reason not to bother doing every single deadend venue through the country though.

• 3 weeks later...

Got my tickets for Bill Burr in Dublin in June. Saw him last time in a sweltering tent at the Dublin comedy festival in 2016 and he was brilliant. He is the best US comedian right now imo. The only shame is that this show is in the 3arena but I got some good seats near the front so hopefully that makes a difference. 

In recent years, I've seen Louis CK (okay, not brilliant), and Joe Rogan in Vegas - love the podcasts, but he's not a great comedian, I thought Tom Segura who supported was funnier. Closer to home, I'll go to see Dylan Moran at every chance I can. 

I used to go to a lot more shows back around the late 90s/early 2000s - saw a load of people like Jack Dee, Rich Hall (as himself, but also as Otis Lee Crenshaw), Bill Bailey, Ed Byrne, Jason Byrne, David McSavage, Mighty Boosh live, Bottom live etc. In general though, I've found it tends to be as much fun going to comedy clubs/comedy nights and seeing random comedians - you get a lot more spontaneous interactions with the crowd and unique experiences that way. The best night I ever had was going to a random basement show in New York with a really small crowd and although I'd never heard of any of the comedians, they all had some serious backgrounds ("you may have seen this guy on the late show with Letterman") and destroyed practically everyone in the audience (e.g. I was bullied into mock proposing to my girlfriend and booed by the crowd when I wouldn't) . 

That said I'd love to see Seinfeld and Chappelle at some point. This one would be a bit controversial but I'd also go to see Denis Leary if he ever played Ireland again - he's one of the few Irish Americans who gets a pass when it comes to playing up his Irishness.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone's a fan/has watched them already but James Acaster put 4 specials up at once on Netflix last week as a series. It's some of the best stand up I've seen in a while, really clever/obscure/funny. 

Well worth a go. 

• 4 years later...

I went to see Dylan Moran last night, very funny but then I'd laugh at him farting in the bath. 2 things I did come away thinking is that he was very clearly pissed, and that the recent global events and his divorce have had a massive impact on his mental health.

Now either that's the 'act' in which case that just further enhances his genius, or he is on the cusp of some massive cataclysmic melt down.

The energy he had last time we went to see him was gone.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm outside a John Shuttleworth gig right now, as it's the interval and he's not on stage. He's very good! 

To be honest, if you're familiar with his work you'll know exactly what to expect. I'd definitely recommend going with some friends and singing along, the crowd here is pretty quiet (Milton Keynes on a Tuesday). I'm going to get a signed Tea-towel after the show! 

Edit : they ran out of tea-towels. Bugger.