IGNORED

POLL: Favourite Rare N64 game

Loik V credern

Favourite N64 Rare game  

128 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

polls are all the rage

killer instinct gold included to make for 10. It was either that or mickey's speedway. The most recent revelation i didn't previously know about Rare was that each team didn't see others projects, and that the competitiveness wasn't always that good natured, the employees got much more of the cut from a game's sales than was standard. I extrapolated from that that it makes sense why some of their games became indulgent collectathons. I just assumed they loved throwing in too many ideas.

Goldeneye. I didn't get on with Perfect Dark as well, despite its more customisable multiplayer. Plus shooting through the lens of a camera in Goldeneye was far more satisfying than PD and that's important.

I was tempted to choose Blast Corps because I love it dearly but Goldeneye was the game I devoted most time to. I'd never even seen a Bond film before playing it.

6 minutes ago, Benny said:

Banjo-Kazooie was MY Mario 64, because I actually played it first. But GoldenEye is the best game they ever made by far.

I can't choose between the two. Banjo-Kazooie didn't use Dave Wise for its music, but i think it's the best videogame soundtrack ever in terms of being such a part of the personality of the game.

16 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

Plus shooting through the lens of a camera in Goldeneye was far more satisfying that PD and that's important.

:wub: I HAVE FOUND A KINDRED SPIRIT.

(My avatar on this forum used to be a GoldenEye CCTV camera for precisely this reason. Best game sound effect and animation combination ever!)

I remember seeing the list of unlockable cheats and levels in Goldeneye in N64 magazine and thinking I'd never come close to unlocking them all.

For me it was the unlockables that made the game so addictive, I must've played some levels a thousand times.

A few months later I'd managed it and was a hero to my school friends, the proudest moment of my life up to that point.

22 minutes ago, Gorf said:

For me it was the unlockables that made the game so addictive, I must've played some levels a thousand times.

A few months later I'd managed it and was a hero to my school friends, the proudest moment of my life up to that point.

My best friend and I were those people too. We ended up being doing it 4 or 5 times as other kids in school wanted certain cheats unlocked.

I wonder if the battery in my cart is still going :S

Goldeneye was great in multiplayer  and although I agree was groundbreaking (a decent, working, controllable FPS on a console?!) I never really enjoyed single player. More to do with the genre and the fact it was Bond than anything else, though.

I loved Goldeneye's single player - I'd continually play Facility over and over again as it was such a great level - and multiplayer was obviously great. 

But I voted for Perfect Dark as that was the king of multiplayer for my brothers, friends and I so have so many more great gaming memories of that. Even  now if you  can get over the horrendously stuttering frame-rate issues (must be single figures during a war of N-bombs) - or play the re-release - it's still a fantastic  multiplayer experience. :wub:

11 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Goldeneye is the best single player and multi player FPS ever made, so I’ll go for that. 

I miss N64 Rare. 

Apart from Perfect Dark, of course, which is the best multiplayer FPS ever made.

13 minutes ago, Jolly said:

I've mentioned this on here before, but my sister once deleted my everything unlocked (yes, including invincibility Doak you absolute arse) save on GoldenEye.

It took many years for those wounds to heal.

But she's OK now?

I love how insanely ambitious Perfect Dark was. It had genuinely novel features and ideas that would be heavily marketed nowadays, but were just buried somewhere in the game without any fanfare. I loved the insane amount of settings in the combat simulator. There was one where the game would go into slow motion whenever you got near an enemy. Had the best of times fighting against a bunch of Perfect Sims with my brother this way. Or playing against each other with a team of bots on each side that you could give assignments, which provided endless scenarios (sending off a couple to kill the other, putting others stationary at specific choke-points, a few following you around in defensive mode, etc).

A lot of the weapons and their secondary functions were extremely inventive too. The Dragon that you could drop as a booby trap, the Avenger that recognizes threats (like those booby traps), the laptop gun you could deploy as a sentry gun, shooting through walls with the heat-seeking Farsight, the rocket launcher with rockets you could guide, etc. 

Counter-op is a mode that I don't think I have ever seen in another game since. One player doing the missions and the other as a much weaker enemy, but constantly respawning inside a different body. The stealth mission on the airport where Joanna couldn't fire a weapon without failing the mission immediately was completely unplayable in this mode, but you had the option to do it anyway. A testament to the everything-and-the-kitchen-sink approach of the game.

GoldenEye is the better game overall, the level designs in that (both in single- and multiplayer) still are some of the best ever in any FPS. But Perfect Dark is a close second.