Thought i'd start a new topic instead of cluttering up the general chatter thread.

Our second group has its first evening tonight in Chester (vicars cross if anyone is free) so really curious to see the amount of people who can make it. The one part which still makes me chuckle is a 'maybe' is probably not, a 'yes' is still probably not and a 'definitely' is usually a maybe :lol:

The group in Ellesmere Port is now on to its third and hopefully permanent venue. The first really suited and the management were happy for us to be there but we did get the impression we were tolerated instead of encouraged. We were in a room where they would show the football and we would have a few of the tables. The staff would grumble, even though we always left it as we found it and tidied up. I think they thought we were taking up too much room even though at most there was only ever about three people watching the football and nearly 15 of us! 

The second place was just outside my work but it was affiliated with the Conservative party (in a northern town WTF) so we were reluctant to become members. I think one of our group wouldn't actually be able to sign up as he's running for council as a labour member :D They're our back up venue because the place was nice and the staff were lovely too. 

The final place we've agreed on is a local labour club. We had to clarify that it doesn't support the political group but its more like a coop group for labour unions, with no money going to the political party. Had a few jokes about supporting Corbyn.

How do people deal with the thorny issue of fees? The labour club have asked us to become members which is £10 and then £6/year. For that you get the subsidised drink prices. Each member can bring in two non-members so we're hoping to use that for first time attendees and one off folks. 

On 2/20/2018 at 14:40, LaParka said:

How do people deal with the thorny issue of fees? The labour club have asked us to become members which is £10 and then £6/year. For that you get the subsidised drink prices. Each member can bring in two non-members so we're hoping to use that for first time attendees and one off folks. 

My local club (Aylesbury) meets in a small community centre in one of the housing estates. We each pay £1 a week (and only pay on nights we attend) which covers the hall hire and drinks. The hall hire is ridiculously cheap, around £15 a week. We also have space in a store room for our tea/coffee, tablecloths and a few games. We used to pay a whopping £2 each per week but numbers have risen in the past couple of years and we got a price cut on admission. We also get the hall for as long as we want. Officially we start at 19:00 (and lock up when we finish) but people turn up straight from work and there's always a few there form 17:30. 

Its been a fortnight since running the two groups (I say running, I mean harassing people on BGG and FB to turn up) and we've had between 14 and 9 people turning up to both evenings. This week was probably a little less because of the weather. We've had a good mix of games and people and I think people are enjoying themselves because most come back or are planning too :)

so far the games that have been played have included:

6Nimmt! Sagrada, Taj Mahal, Thurn and Taxis, Ethnos, Vast: Crystal Cavern. Kanagawa, Poison, Trickerion, Glen More, Heaven & Ale, Dodekka, Timeline History and Science, Medici , Freight Train, Qwixx, Downforce, Voodoo Prince, Gallerist, Bruges, Flamme Rouge and Fjords 

Mostly euros ranging from light to pretty heavy stuff

I'm still on the committee for Beyond Monopoly (although I've stood down from the most time consuming roles), and we're still in good health despite a drop due to people moving away and illnesses. We've got a lovely location (Bar Convent, Central York, beautiful building) which also gives us a cupboard with which to store our 300-odd games. All day on Saturdays & Friday evenings, we get a decent turn out to the Saturdays, 30-40, which is a bit of a drop from the 40-50 two years ago, but that's starting to head back up. Fridays is always quiet, somewhere in the teens.

We charge £5 for all day on saturday, with concessions if you're unemployed or a student, or if you're only there half the day. The money goes towards venue hire, but also buying more games for the club. A number of members don't buy games any more, so really we're saving them money. Also you can borrow games. We're like the best library there is. First visit is always free.

• 1 month later...

I help to run a club in Banbury- strongly war games focused but there’s a few board games get played as well. Get about 15 people a week, though recently a member has been running a 40k campaign which has really pushed up attendance. We pay for a room in a church centre and they also let us store some tables and a big scenery cupboard.