IGNORED

Female-fronted alt/indie rock

dug

On 17/01/2020 at 23:40, Darren said:

It’s a grower. I was underwhelmed at first, but it really grabbed me after a few listens. And hearing them play most of the album live sealed the deal.

Anyway, my next recommendation is Petrol Girls. I hadn’t even heard of them until today, but saw them live tonight and they were great. Kind of prog-punk, in that it’s basically punk but with lots of weird time signatures to confuse everyone trying to pogo.

Petrol Girls made it onto my top ten of 2019, they're fucking awesome, I'm gonna start teaching my girls Big Mouth

• 3 weeks later...

So in new female fronted indie music shizz news the much critically lauded but perhaps not yet massively commercially successful Soccer Mommy has a new album out.

And in even better news its really good.

I have to admit I didn't really feel Sophia Allison's debut despite the rave reviews from Pitchfork et al - a little too try hard perhaps, however this is something quite different ; a self described album of 'bops'; mid paced 90s guitar pop influenced by the likes of Natalie Imbruglia's Torn and Avril Lavigne's Complicated.

I'm not quite sure that's the right description myself, nothing on this record is as straight forward as the reference points cited and never nails a hook filled chorus in the same way; what we have instead is a lilting collection of mid tempo but achingly sad pop songs, that gradually become more infectious on repeated listens.  There's a lot of the 90s female fronted 4AD bands here along with a smattering of REM.

A couple of stand outs for me

Its taken a few listens but this has quickly become my favourite album of 2020 to date

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

As much as I find it somewhat irritating (even embarrassing) that I have to happen across good music via an animated tv show (rather than find it myself), I've had Kotomi stuck on my playlist pretty firmly since hearing them on the Rick & Morty season finale.

Pretty indie, more electropop than rock admittedly - fits in somewhere on the spectrum roughly between Metric, Warpaint and Haim, and occasional full 80s Boys of Summer energy.

On 30/06/2020 at 22:37, Vulgar Monkey said:

As much as I find it somewhat irritating (even embarrassing) that I have to happen across good music via an animated tv show (rather than find it myself), I've had Kotomi stuck on my playlist pretty firmly since hearing them on the Rick & Morty season finale.

Pretty indie, more electropop than rock admittedly - fits in somewhere on the spectrum roughly between Metric, Warpaint and Haim, and occasional full 80s Boys of Summer energy.

Sounds exactly like my sweet spot - duly noted.

Anyway as referenced do Haim belong on here? - I'm going to go with yes, as they hit the female fronted guitar pop criteria.

Anyway Haim are back with their third album and the good news is after their disappointing sophomore outing this is a return to form.  For the uninitiated  think the late 70s Fleetwood Mac Southern California vibe, with a little of Hole circa Celebrity Skin  and a dash of modern vibe pop via Taylor Swift in her 1989 incarnation.

The pallet is a little more varied here as we get side orders of electronica, garage and some ill advised hip hop diversions but Women in Music part III works best when it sticks to the bands strengths

The Steps is probably their entire appeal coalesced into a single song

Whilst Gasoline gets an extraordinary amount out of the driving/sex metaphor

Glam rock stompers

And gloriously floaty pop

The pacing is a bit off with too many of the record's bangers front ended in the opening eight tracks and the second half of the record can be a bit too reflective but overall its a fab album

On 17/10/2019 at 19:58, Pockets said:

Just popped in to mention Drugstore and their first album in case no one else had. The later stuff isn’t all that aside from the Thom Yorke collab single, but the first album is great. 

I have to beg to differ here - White Magic for Lovers is one of my favourite albums ever, Songs for the Jetset was great too.

How can you argue with tracks like this

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just randomly came across Estrons a few days ago and have been getting a lot of mileage out of relatively few tracks.

Sounds like they were around for a few years, went big in 2018, and then immediately broke up. Typical.

Keep wanting to describe them as like-Distiller-but-welsh, but that's frankly a shit description and only serves to highlight my poor musical vocabulary. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/02/2020 at 21:09, MarkN said:

I may have posted Jack Off Jill before, but that was before I got hold of their last album. Some cracking tracks on this. (I adore the first track "When I Am Queen"  just because it's the very best idea for a song ever.) But this is really very good:

After them the front woman had a band called Scarling. I once saw them play to about 20 people in a venue that could hold 500, so they must have lost a bloody fortune if the whole UK tour was like that.

I was at the Newcastle gig on the Scarling tour, which again played to no more than about 20 people. If I remember correctly, Jessika invited everyone to join her on stage for a sing along of 'Band Aid Only Covers the Bullet Hole'.

I was lucky enough to get tickets to the Jack Off Jill reunion show at the Electric Ballroom about five years ago, which was absolutely packed and probably the best concert I've ever been to. Given that they originally split up without ever having made it to the UK, I'd long ago given up any hope of seeing them live (as had, I suspect, most of the crowd).

The closest thing to a successor are probably The Birthday Massacre:

• 2 weeks later...

Listened to the new Pale Waves album and they've basically dropped all the big synthy chorus' and now sound like an identikit-female indie pop band :( There's a couple of good songs on there but its not one after the other like My Mind Makes Noises

On 16/02/2021 at 12:36, wev said:

Listened to the new Pale Waves album and they've basically dropped all the big synthy chorus' and now sound like an identikit-female indie pop band :( There's a couple of good songs on there but its not one after the other like My Mind Makes Noises

That's a tad (and by tad I actually mean quite a lot) harsh.  Its fair comment that 'Who am I' is far less 80s influenced and synthy than '...noises', in fact its pretty clear from a first listen it draws most of its inspiration from early Avril Lavigne and other mid 90s female fronted alt-pop, but I'd be hard pressed to name another current band doing this kind of infectious female fronted guitar pop.

They've lost a lot of the weight with far fewer overwrought ballads and instead we get hook after hook laden chorus and a far tighter set than their debut.  Admittedly 11 tracks is a little light, but only Run To feels like filler and even that's perfectly listenable.  

Tomorrow, I Just Needed You, and She's My Religion are amongst the best stuff they've recorded and Easy is probably their best single to date (and retains the synths and massive swooning choruses of the best of the first record).

It is different from the debut for sure but it has the same pop sensibility and I adore it (although I am a massive fan it should be noted).

It's cool that you like, I'm not even saying I don't like it, its just not grabbed me the way that first album did, I did add a couple of songs straight to my Starred list on Spotify (or whatever its called) (She's My Religion and Easy were already on there, I also added Tomorrow and You Don't Own Me) but it's just not had me going straight back to it like when I first heard My Mind Makes Noises.