Jump to content
IGNORED

Female-fronted alt/indie rock


dug
 Share

Recommended Posts

I like Wet Leg but I'm slightly, and probably entirely unfairly, suspicious of why they are getting so much attention on the back of so few releases. It feels like somebody somewhere is promoting them in a way that isn't available to their indie peers.

 

It'll probably turn out that it's because they're already massive Tik Tok stars or something that's completely passed me by.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It doesn't look like anyone has mentioned Mitski yet in here, the first video is her new song of the upcoming album and the other two are some of her older songs off of the Puberty 2 album

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Love TJF!  First saw them supporting Howling Bells in Liverpool years ago and, for me, they blew the headliners off stage.  This is the first single from the latest album, fantastic song and production:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, skadupuk said:

New Wet Leg

 

 

Im beginning to see alot of social media posts calling them industry plants because they've "come out of nowhere but are getting alot of hype", typical gate keeping stuff, I mean, who gives a shit where they've come from when they've releases 3 really good songs?

 

Also, that guitar tone sounds alot like my bass when I switch my compressor and overdrive pedals on 🥰

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was supposed to see them tonight at the 100 club, and my youngest has got covid so that’s not gonna happen. 😡

 

They supported idles and were brilliant so am well gutted. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, wev said:

Im beginning to see alot of social media posts calling them industry plants because they've "come out of nowhere but are getting alot of hype", typical gate keeping stuff, I mean, who gives a shit where they've come from when they've releases 3 really good songs?

 

Also, that guitar tone sounds alot like my bass when I switch my compressor and overdrive pedals on 🥰

 

As I said a few posts up, I like them and don't want to gatekeep at all, but I'm curious about how they've become so big (in indie terms) so fast. They played live on one of the late night chat shows in America when they'd only released two singles. I don't begrudge them that success, it's more that I'd like others to be able to emulate it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They probably do have friends in the right places, like The Linda Linda's, or have been practicing together and passing around tapes a bit like Grohl did for the Foo Fighters (though he also had mates in the industry plus his own reputation).

 

Doesn't matter how you get there, and I know you're not disagreeing/gatekeeping, I'm more concerned with the typical outwardly hostile twats you get on any female artists social media.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh I’m definitely (hopefully) not one of those twats. I probably have more female artists than male in my library and definitely so for music released in the last 25 years (blimey I’m old).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Darren said:

 

As I said a few posts up, I like them and don't want to gatekeep at all, but I'm curious about how they've become so big (in indie terms) so fast. They played live on one of the late night chat shows in America when they'd only released two singles. I don't begrudge them that success, it's more that I'd like others to be able to emulate it.

 

As far as I can tell they just caught the right wind (we probably aren't the right age to understand how this happens with social media), the main singer used to do solo stuff for a few years so isn't completely new to industry, but there's footage of them playing in 2018 to 3 men and a dog on the Isle of White so it would be interesting to understand how they were pushed up if they were, as their growth seems organic at face value.

 

"in indie terms" is an odd phrase though, what does that even mean these days given the massive sea change in how people digest media?

 

I'd argue that there's never been a better time for bands to be able to connect with an audience.

 

It's not like the good old days when I found new punk bands from free CDs that came with poorly written and produced fanzines *shakes fist at cloud*

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, And said:

My local. It’s still awesome. 

 

You're Tonbridge way aren't you? 

 

I was at the Forum 2 or 3 times a week from 14 until I went to uni, went a few times when I got back but most of the gang had scattered by that point.

 

It was always one of the last stops on the 'toilet circuit' before a band became a bit more famous (more than a few examples of TW Forum one week, first appearance on Top of the Pops a week later)

 

I've occasionally popped in for stuff there, but it makes me feel old.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, skadupuk said:

"in indie terms" is an odd phrase though, what does that even mean these days given the massive sea change in how people digest media?


I meant that an appearance on a chat show might be a huge accomplishment for an indie band but would be an unremarkable step on the hype train for a label-promoted pop band.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It just seems to be a case of the right performers, with the right personalities, with the right songs, in the right space, getting known to the right people at the right time. I follow them on TikTok and they've only really been officially active on there around the time they released Chaise Longue.

 

It does seem an excellent platform for musicians though!

 

Crawlers are an example of a band beginning to get attention having done alot of stuff on TikTok

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 02/02/2022 at 12:59, wev said:

Im beginning to see alot of social media posts calling them industry plants because they've "come out of nowhere but are getting alot of hype", typical gate keeping stuff, I mean, who gives a shit where they've come from when they've releases 3 really good songs?

 

Also, that guitar tone sounds alot like my bass when I switch my compressor and overdrive pedals on 🥰

Wasn’t one of their songs on the Netflix series Sex Education. I’m sure that’s where I Shazammed them and that show was massive. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 02/03/2022 at 18:15, skadupuk said:

New Wet Leg

 

No signs of the quality slipping.

 

 

They're the new darlings of the indie world aren't they?, no album yet but they're massive. Great 3 singles though but the buzz is so high for them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, yakumo said:

They're the new darlings of the indie world aren't they?, no album yet but they're massive. Great 3 singles though but the buzz is so high for them

 

5 singles in (including the last one I posted)

 

A lot (including on this thread) suspicion about how they have blown up so quickly, but the quality of output is very decent all the way through so I'mremaining optimistic for the full album.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, skadupuk said:

 

5 singles in (including the last one I posted)

 

A lot (including on this thread) suspicion about how they have blown up so quickly, but the quality of output is very decent all the way through so I'mremaining optimistic for the full album.

 

Yeah from what I heard they're great, just wondering how they gotten so big over such a short time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, yakumo said:

Yeah from what I heard they're great, just wondering how they gotten so big over such a short time.

 

I think it's as simple as a quotable catchy first song that just hit the right note at the right time.

 

The ability for something to spread far and wide when it catches is just one of those modern things that I (in my old age) don't try and understand.

 

*shuffles off to watch Nyan Cat video*

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

New Wet Leg album released today and believe it or not there are songs that match or even better the singles we’ve had so far, opener Being In Love is a belter. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.