The Watch - New Not-So-Discworld Series

JohnC

I'm watching it. It's fucking awful, even if you're not a fan of Discworld it's bad.

It's infuriating to watch based on the source material with has so much more to offer, so much of the references miss the point and it honestly feels like they didn't want to make a discworld show, they wanted to make a punk dystopia but were given this and thought fuck it.

I've tried to be generous with it, Carrot is spot on, Cheery isn't Cheery but is an interesting character and well acted, and it's occasionally,  funny.

But really, the plot is terrible, doesn't really make sense and almost every episode has a Mexican stand off that goes nowhere.

It's Merlin level stuff. 

• 2 months later...

I've just finished this and it reminds me a lot of Max Headroom in that it's a series taken from an original and I really want to love this more than I do.

The things I loved. The set design, props and costumes are fantastic. Most of the casting, especially some of the more diverse casting is amazing. Standouts for me despite having major doubts going in Lara Rossi as Lady Sybil Ramkin, Jo Eaton-Kent as Corporal Cheery and Anna Chancellor as Lord Vetinari. All brilliant and all really different from their Discworld counterparts and yet deep down the same.

The downsides? The writing is variable. The editing is confusing. I really wanted to love Vimes but he just wasn't Vimes.

But the two major issues.

1. They fucked up the Vimes boot speech. They just did. They should have left it on the cutting room floor.

2. Despite me enjoying it overall the premise of the show as an alternate universe Discworld felt....disrespectful? I love when old tales are remixed and I tend to love subversions of old works (which might explain my love for The Last Jedi.) But Pratchett isn't long gone, just six years and I know he would have hated this production with every fibre of his being and would have killed it if he could.

I'd love to see what they do with a Season 2 but I can't see it happening given the response has been confusion from non fans and outright disdain from Pratchett fans. Hard to see where the audience for this sits.

I didn't really flesh out the Max Headroom comparison.

Max Headroom was originally a 90 minute movie called 20 Minutes into the Future. It was a dense sinister 90 minute telemovie. To make it into a TV series they had to change certain elements and while the set designs remained amazing, and some of the characters were excellent. (special shout out to Reg Blank) and some of the ideas were great it just didn't hold together.

Not sure how to describe the feeling but it's like wanting to like something because of the potential and yet knowing deep down it's failing on execution.

21 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

I didn't really flesh out the Max Headroom comparison.

Max Headroom was originally a 90 minute movie called 20 Minutes into the Future. It was a dense sinister 90 minute telemovie. To make it into a TV series they had to change certain elements and while the set designs remained amazing, and some of the characters were excellent. (special shout out to Reg Blank) and some of the ideas were great it just didn't hold together.

Not sure how to describe the feeling but it's like wanting to like something because of the potential and yet knowing deep down it's failing on execution.

It's just ersatz Pratchett. I know that without seeing a single minute of it. 

• 1 month later...

It's on iPlayer now.

It's not Pratchett; this Vimes is nobody's vision of Vimes, and it absolutely isn't anyone's idea of the Watch from the books. They're not going to please anyone who loves a bit of Pterry.

But I think I see what they tried to do. It's a bit thespy, like one of those anachronistic Edwardian settings for Shakespeare, and  Ankh-Morpork can be seen as one of those Eternal City settings, like Viriconium, or Gibson's vision of Tokyo or LA.

Yeah, that's the feeling I got. If I had come to this blind, with no prior experience of Discworld, I'd have liked what I've seen so far. At least, it would have piqued my interest enough to watch more.

I really enjoyed it as its own thing after sitting through the lot. Vimes was a good pick and Carrot seemed good enough, the Angua actress seemed genuinly embaressed when she was having to dance on screen and I don't think that was part of the role. Not bad all round and I'd def go for another series. Only problem with it is it kept me wishing they'd used the money to film an actual DW series. Quite why they couldn't do that is beyond me as they clearly had enough money to build sets, a lot of them felt like they just needed a bit of medieval set dressing to make it suit the proper books. Anyone know why it ended up like this?

Edit. looks like she hated the idea, that article does mention they are trying to do a proper adaption of the books :wub:

We got half way through the first episode before my wife wanted to go to bed.

Not sure I can tolerate any more.

Thats not Vimes, it’s not even a vague approximation of Vimes.

Carrot and Angua are well cast but I had to take a massive double take when I realised that was supposed to be Cherry. I mean surely having a human sized dwarf basically destroys most of the premise of Carrot’s character to start with…

Its all far too cyberpunk to have any approximation to DW…there might be something there as a show but it clearly has almost no connection to the source material at all.