rllmuk
kerraig UK

Battlefield V

Why players feel entitled to more free content beyond the initial release other than bug fixes is beyond me when it's not a GaaS with microtransactions. The value proposition is for the consumer to evaluate at the point of sale in this case. I'd have spent the £37.99 without the promise of more content.

I'm really looking forward to being the best damn Medic ever if can get on this after work. :hug:

I'm on my phone so quoting and editing is a pain. But I agree with you @kerraig UK with the pop in. It's really fucking bad on the 1X too. 

I think it's just a FrostBite issue, as Battlefront 2 had the same issues. Boxes appearing in corridors 30 feet in front of you, geometry and shadows clearly changing and getting better right up until they are almost in front of you.

It's really jarring, I wish they would drop the graphics a wee bit so they can push the LOD out to minimise the issue.

19 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Good point. BF4 was genuinely unplayable for over a month. It was impossible to finish a game of Dawnbreaker with your whole squad. You'd get random black screens of death at least once per hour. Balance was a mess.

On BF3 the anti air missiles would just randomly not work, on sniper bullets were as big as watermelons. 

This has been steady as a rock. Just a bit glitchy in game.

It was that broken I complained to Microsoft and they refunded me the £50 for the game and £40 for the season pass, but left the licences on my account as an apology.

Still my most played game over the past 5 years though.

16 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

I'm on my phone so quoting and editing is a pain. But I agree with you @kerraig UK with the pop in. It's really fucking bad on the 1X too. 

I think it's just a FrostBite issue, as Battlefront 2 had the same issues. Boxes appearing in corridors 30 feet in front of you, geometry and shadows clearly changing and getting better right up until they are almost in front of you.

It's really jarring, I wish they would drop the graphics a wee bit so they can push the LOD out to minimise the issue.

They could definitely push it back 20 metres because its nowhere near this bad on BF1. 

Not only is it ugly and distracting, it also messes with the gameplay.

16 minutes ago, Triple A said:

am running maxed out 1440p on PC, and pop-in with supplementary environment elements is very evident for me

So it's something shitty with the engine then we reckon?

yeah reckon so although it could be less of an engine issue and more of a technical direction decision - my (hot) take is that they've had the engine pump out so much in some areas e.g., physics for destructible environments, lighting, etc., that they've dialled back other areas.

The only pop-in I've noticed on vanilla-PS4 is on user built fortifications - mostly on the Airstrip map if someone has built sandbag fortifications in the central hangar - from a distance I can see right through the hangar, but if I zoom in on a scope they become visible.

The re-supply timer they've added to the aircraft (bombers at least - not tried fighters yet) is pretty noticable and should remove the current practice of bombers flying never-ending sorties from one side of the map to the other (or at least reduce the frequency).

I've not noticed pop in on my standard PS4 slim, but then I'm not that observant. Is anyone suffering that problem running from an external drive?

I do have one problem I can't seem to remedy; when I'm playing in a squad of friends I have an odd stutter where I'll run forward and then stop for half a second and then run and then stop for half a second. It's not consistent, the game engine doesn't freeze or stutter, it's just me rubber banding. It only happens when I'm squadded up. I've tested the connection, I'm wired directly into the router, all that good stuff, I just can't seem to figure out why it does it.

There is definite pop in on my PS4 Pro, to be honest though I don’t notice it that often as I’m too engrossed. I think it’s just they tried to push the engine so far in other areas that this is a the trade off. Continued tweaking may improve it, who knows.

@Luseth I admire your reply but I’m personally going to leave that VN1X discussion behind and try to focus on the many positives of this game :) I give zero fucks what some weird YouTube channels say who think they are important in their own tiny little bubble. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

On Xbox in the US you can get this game for $30 if you log in to BF1 or BF4.

Must be selling like shite over there.

I definitely think the sales are likely to be shocking. When i search servers its showing around 6 or 12 with an open space on gametypes such as Breakthrough or Frontlines. In month 1 of BF4 that would have been between 60-100. After 10:30pm last night we struggled to find a full room of Breakthrough and ended up abandoning for the night. 

Definitely concerned. I hope they don't abandon it as the core game is phenomenal. Some of the firefights I've had the past couple of days are the best I've ever had in a BF game. 

They won’t abandon it. They can give it another big push in March when the Firestorm mode launches, they’ve announced the Greece maps and no doubt have the others already in development.

I need to have a look at how many full rooms there are in those modes. I still think a massive majority will be playing Conquest and Grand Operations over Breakthrough and Frontlines.

37 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

I definitely think the sales are likely to be shocking. When i search servers its showing around 6 or 12 with an open space on gametypes such as Breakthrough or Frontlines. In month 1 of BF4 that would have been between 60-100. After 10:30pm last night we struggled to find a full room of Breakthrough and ended up abandoning for the night. 

Definitely concerned. I hope they don't abandon it as the core game is phenomenal. Some of the firefights I've had the past couple of days are the best I've ever had in a BF game. 

They've invested way too much money to give up on it soon. Whether it makes it past the planned support window? Christ knows. Hopefully when the heavy discounts come it'll pick up.

3 minutes ago, KriessG said:

I still think a massive majority will be playing Conquest and Grand Operations over Breakthrough and Frontlines.

Yeah definitely, but if you have 2million players you're still going to be able to find full rooms in any game mode. If you have 20,000 probably not so much.

Again we need to look and see how many full room there are, we generally search for free spaces.

I’m not too worried. The core gameplay is great and we have a road map of new content including a big new mode that could garner a lot of interest. There were quite a lot of people on here who picked up BF1 months, even over a year after release and were like ‘Oh wow this is really good!’.

4 minutes ago, KriessG said:

Again we need to look and see how many full room there are, we generally search for free spaces.

I’m not too worried. The core gameplay is great and we have a road map of new content including a big new mode that could garner a lot of interest. There were quite a lot of people on here who picked up BF1 months, even over a year after release and were like ‘Oh wow this is really good!’.

We couldn't find a full room after 10:30pm in week 2. I'm definitely concerned. I don't want to get to the point of being forced to play the worst gametype cos it's the only one with full rooms.

13 hours ago, Luseth said:

No but my point is you haven't voiced your opinion in 10 pages  and merely throwing in a few video's into the thread  without any real discussion on it and just saying (and I quote) 'People keep asking why there is so much negativity surrounding this game but it's not hard to see why is it?' is not really you voicing your opinion. That strikes me as someone who is trying to get a reaction out of people within the thread (I'll let you look up the definition of an internet troll to see why I called your post out as some trolling)

I've already pointed out why I post videos. If you can't be bothered viewing them then that's fine. Ignore and move one. But to call someone a troll is a bit rich to say the least. Just to humour you though: in that specific case I was asking a question in relation to the content of a video and the earlier discussion. How that is considered trolling is beyond me.

So you played the beta? An unfinished version of the game? I know there was the 10 hour EA access as well but to be honest how you can fully judge a multiplayer fps on just 10 hours game play is beyond me.

I played it and didn't like it for a variety of reasons. Gameplay wise it was only slightly different than BF1 (Attrition system yay! oh never mind, that's been gutted out already) but otherwise it felt and looked nearly identical. I didn't need to play more to come to the conclusion that it's not for me. I'm happy for those that are enjoying it though. 

I'm still not getting this point? And it relates back to my first post of you trolling. Your suggesting that it's a bad thing that a greedy company has made a positive step. Yes EA has always been a greedy company, but to suggest that them not charging for future dlc is a bad thing is absurd.... As I said, that's a case of being damned if you do, damned if you don't....

In the case of EA: yes, exactly. They've put themselves in a position where "making one positive step" isn't nearly enough. Obviously it's a good thing that they've come to the realisation that charging customers even more on top of a full priced game is taking the piss and incredibly anti-consumer but I can't help but feel that if the game wasn't received so poorly we'd still be stuck with the Premium Pass. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect to get something for nothing and I'll gladly throw more money towards a game any day of the week (see CS:GO, Warframe, Duelyst, Quake, etc) but we all know EA's trackrecord has been an absolute clusterfuck when it comes to stuffing their games full of microtransactions under the guise of 'live service costs'. Give these corporations a hand and they'll take an arm; perhaps bite off half your torso for good measure as well. So yeah, I'm not as forgiving towards these multi-billion dollar entities and see no reason why I should be.

On a side note: It's been pointed out to me by someone whose opinion I hold in high regard that the guy behind the "American Krogan" channel is in fact a rather dodgy character (to put it mildly). When I posted that video, in which he dissects the singleplayer campaign, I wasn't aware of this. So it's clear the dude has an agenda of his own and I should've done some better research before posting his content. That said I still think the campaign has some major issues with its portrayal of these events. A videogame doesn't have to be one thing or the other. It can be educational, entertaining and inclusive at the same time and it's disappointing to see they apparently couldn't be bothered with that. So for the record fuck both DICE and that Krogan fella as well. Thank you. 

Has anyone tried the M30 Drilling for the Support class? The thing is a beast. It's a double-barreled shotgun with what amounts to a Martini-Henry stuck under the barrels. :D

So what's the cheapest way for me to play through the campaign/war stories? I have an Xbox One and a PC, the PC I think only just manages the minimum requirements for the game, although I imagine that would be fine as long as I don't dive into the multiplayer (for which I don't have time atm, and which I heard would be better with a full squad anyway, which I also don't have). Do I just get a month of EA Access on Xbox? (I don't have Xbox live membership but for the war stories I wouldn't need that, right?) And I saw there are two versions, one for 5€/month and one for 15€/a month. I think the cheaper one only allows you a 10 hour trial of the game, but I am not sure. Would those be enough to play through the offline campaigns?

9 minutes ago, Illyria said:

So what's the cheapest way for me to play through the campaign/war stories? I have an Xbox One and a PC, the PC I think only just manages the minimum requirements for the game, although I imagine that would be fine as long as I don't dive into the multiplayer (for which I don't have time atm, and which I heard would be better with a full squad anyway, which I also don't have). Do I just get a month of EA Access on Xbox? (I don't have Xbox live membership but for the war stories I wouldn't need that, right?) And I saw there are two versions, one for 5€/month and one for 15€/a month. I think the cheaper one only allows you a 10 hour trial of the game, but I am not sure. Would those be enough to play through the offline campaigns?

There are four War Stories available now and each one takes around 1-2 hours depending on the difficulty setting and how you approach them (stealth or all-guns blazing essentially). 10 hour trial would be plenty for you to play them all I think.

• Upvote 1

Fired up BF1 and a splash screen tried to flog me BFV for thirty notes. Shit day, two beers, done.

Just had a belting hour on it. Amazing atmosphere and sound effects. The only thing poppin was my damn boner. 

• Upvote 1

The gunplay is totally different from BF1 VN1X. I think it's way better and I'm really fucking picky about shooters.

• Upvote 1

went from this to my shooter stalwart destiny 2 in a single sitting - i know they’re of differing design goals but bfv really feels a generation ahead in terms of tech and fluidity of control. very impressed with DICE actually.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Triple A said:

went from this to my shooter stalwart destiny 2 in a single sitting - i know they’re of differing design goals but bfv really feels a generation ahead in terms of tech and fluidity of control.

But the shooting in Destiny and Destiny 2 feels much better no?

I hate the shooting in Battlefield and Battlefront, for some reason I can't shoot for shit in the BF games but I'm a deadeye in the Destiny games.