Holy shit, that’s a lot more drastic than I was expecting. I did wonder whether the fast TTK would put a lot of newer players off and I guess their data must be showing that that’s the case.

Will have to give it a good session today to see how different it feels but on paper that seems like pretty significant changes to make so soon after launch.

My main concern is that the real issue that needs addressing is the TTD and the netcode but that’s a lot harder to fix so they’re messing about with the TTK to compensate.

6 hours ago, geldra said:

Reckon the pop in stuff will be addressed by patches or is that baked into the engine? 

Also, probs a dim question but what’s the difference between TTK and TTD? 

TTK (time to kill) is how fast it feels for you to kill someone when you’re firing at them.

TTD (time to death) is how fast it feels for you to die when someone is shooting at you.

They're closely related but not the same thing. In an ideal world they’d feel identical but due to the way the netcode works in these games (packets of data being updated, verified on the server and then sent to each player multiple times per second) that isn’t always the case. Sometimes the netcode fucks up and what should be multiple bullets hitting you one after the other are all packaged up and sent as one. The problem with BF5 is that far too often someone will shoot at you and it will feel as if you die instantly, as if a medic is killing you in one shot, for example. Like this:

You can hear the bullets being fired at him a good second or so before he dies but on-screen it only appears as if the last one actually hits him and kills him straight away. From the medic's point of view (the TTK) he was pumping loads of bullets into him and it probably looked from his perspective as if it took just under a second or so to kill the opponent, but from the perspective of the guy who's getting shot (the TTD) it felt like he got smoked immediately.

It's felt better to me since the first patch and isn't happening as often but it's still there.

@Luseth was spot on, my criticism of Frostbite is from Fifa, it’s unresponsive, has terrible collision detection, terrible physics, and it’s getting worse with every iteration, as DICE are the engine developers I believe they are doing a terrible job, but looking at peoples complaints of battlefield the same issues ring true, poor response to input, auto aim changing the response of player controlled characters, same on Fifa with cpu assists taking control away from the player, it’s obviously a problem inherent with the game engine so why should dice get a pass because you like a handful of games they’ve put out? They need to fix their shit especially when it’s impacting bigger games and communities than battlefield.

The issues with Battlefield V have nothing to do with player input or auto aim. It controls like a dream.

EA forcing all their studios to use an engine that was originally designed for a large-scale multiplayer FPS in games as disparate as FIFA and Mass Effect is the problem. 

5 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

@Luseth was spot on, my criticism of Frostbite is from Fifa, it’s unresponsive, has terrible collision detection, terrible physics, and it’s getting worse with every iteration, as DICE are the engine developers I believe they are doing a terrible job, but looking at peoples complaints of battlefield the same issues ring true, poor response to input, auto aim changing the response of player controlled characters, same on Fifa with cpu assists taking control away from the player, it’s obviously a problem inherent with the game engine so why should dice get a pass because you like a handful of games they’ve put out? They need to fix their shit especially when it’s impacting bigger games and communities than battlefield.

Would you say that's Dice's fault though or EA's? It's never really been an issue for Battlefield players. It was EA's decision to implement it into Fifa  and adapt it to a game it was not designed for. That's like installing windows os on mac or mac os on windows and complaining that it doesn't work the way it should straight out of the box.

1 hour ago, gooner4life said:

DICE are EA’s technical experts, they should tell EA it isn’t fit for purpose.

Surely by that same logic whoever it is that make's Fifa is equally responsible for not telling them so?

That said, EA own's DICE, so whatever DICE "tell's" them is irrelevant. You can't tell your boss at work what he can and can't do and it's the same here.

DICE may have created the engine and continue to develop for use in their games but they are not responsible for what other divisions within EA use it for. To hold a grudge against the Battlefield series and DICE because EA have screwed with a game you enjoyed seems a bit petty.

45 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

They probably have. Since when has being the expert in the tech side of a company actually mad a blind bit of fucking difference to what the suits want?

Can't argue with that.

Well I've been playing most of the afternoon and can't say I've noticed a huge difference with regards to TTK. Maybe not quite as easy to ping snipers from miles away with the semi-auto rifles and I've been winning more 1-on-1's at close range perhaps but it feels pretty much the same overall to me. No doubt some people will still be losing their shit over it on various forums but first impressions indicate that the changes don't seem as drastic as the numbers suggest.

Quite hard to make any judgment on the TTK changes due to the constant server lag. Even though my PING is low there is constant network warnings. Sometimes people drop super quick, in one instance I shot at an enemy through a broken building wall to no avail. My bullets were magically stopped by what on my screen was supposed to be an open window.

Also had one instance were I was dead before I had any chance of even reacting to being shot.

DICE clearly have some work to do on the server side, not BF4 unplayable but not very enjoyable.

There is also a need for some sort of spotting mechanic to be implemented, it is super frustrating trying to capture a point with no information on where the enemies might be. I think that maybe they should go CoD-style making your shots ping you very briefly in the minimap or something. At least give a hint as to where the enemies are shooting from. Right now you best bet is to rush in, make the enemies kill you, hopefully spawn quite close by and go in a second time with a bit more information and a hope that your enemies weren't smart enough to move.

Great post. One other little tip that really helps me get the drop:

Keep your eye on the minimap for team 'x's. That's showing where your team is dying. From there you can get a feel where the attack is gonna come from. I win so many ambushes by keeping my eye on the flow of x's

I had a go with the new TTK/TTD last night. I didn't notice much difference either and I still lose quite a few firefights as a Medic but had slightly more success at longer ranges. Swapping to Assault which I currently have kitted with the G43 semi-auto it felt quite a lot worse. Hitting 4 times from many distances is tough when you're as shit as me.

It really is a marginal/incremental change in my view, which as somebody who has a little experience balancing games with designers (I'm a data person) is exactly what you want in a big live product, so props to DICE for not overreacting. Compared to the last BF game I played properly (3) it feels like the weapons are just less effective at distance and each weapon's effective range has been compressed. Therefore the game rewards well timed "pushing" and aggressive play into close quarters more than sitting back and picking people off with modern lasers. Perhaps this is why they've not given all classes access to the basic rifles minus optics as I see many have suggested online - they want to keep the average firefight distance down where it is now.

That's the self-perpetuating problem though. It's an axe to grind I've got with Bethesda and Squeenix games; they drop within weeks of release so why would you drop £40+ on a game that's 100% going to be cheaper within a month? The obvious answer is to support the developer, which is why I don't regret dropping £45 on Darksiders III despite my misgivings towards it, but it's difficult to justify that support to a massive publisher that blatantly fucked the PR leading up to the release and then released it at literally the worst time of the year to put out a game.

EA were pretty much giving away BF1 with boxes of Frosties in the weeks leading up to the release of BFV. I’ve already said why I think the game looks to have bombed hard. But you can possibly add that as well, if people picked up that game for pennies then there probably wasn’t much motivation for them to get the sequel at full price when to most people on the surface it would look like there was very little difference between the two products apart from setting.

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

That's the self-perpetuating problem though. It's an axe to grind I've got with Bethesda and Squeenix games; they drop within weeks of release so why would you drop £40+ on a game that's 100% going to be cheaper within a month? The obvious answer is to support the developer, which is why I don't regret dropping £45 on Darksiders III despite my misgivings towards it, but it's difficult to justify that support to a massive publisher that blatantly fucked the PR leading up to the release and then released it at literally the worst time of the year to put out a game.

I didn’t expect BFV to drop that quickly, tbh.

I suspected it would to a certain degree based on the report about pre-orders from October time. I snapped it up at 40 quid digital on the first weekend of Christmas deals on PS4 because it meant I skipped the cycle of buy physical cheap, play, buy digital cheap and end up paying overall what digital would be at regular price. Is the 50% off digital or physical? I'm presuming digital.

I got an early Christmas present for myself today. A lovely  RTX 2070 for 430 quid. I'm going to pay about half that off by selling my old 1070. Anyway, just tried BFV and it's ray tracing and...well colour me surprised! Firstly it does look bloody nice as anything reflective actually shows the correct reflection and not a cube map or SSR. Secondly, I was able to hit constant 50-60 fps with the tracing on medium and with a resolution at 3440x1440 with everything else on ultra. The latest patch really did wonders for the framerate. Considering there are more optimisations to be done both driver and game wise I think it'll easily stay above 60fps for me soon. If they can get it above 60fps with it on high then wow. Thirdly I'm doing this with just a ryzen 1600 that hasn't been overclocked. It's pushing the CPU hard but it's actually below DICE's recommended specs for ray tracing and yet it's still doing good.

I'll try and post some pictures soon. Rotterdam looks really nice. 

With high ROF weapons like assault rifles and MMGs it's not really noticeable at close to mid-range but the semi-autos with 3x scopes have definitely taken a knock when engaging at longer ranges, especially as some of them have such small magazines and they're taking 4 bullets to kill to the body. You really need to hit those headshots with them. I haven't tried them yet but apparently the recon SLRs are pretty shit now.

People going ballistic on reddit and the BF forums are making me laugh though. The game still plays fucking great and I'm pretty sure that DICE will rebalance those weapons that have suffered from the latest TTK changes. Sometimes I think 'passionate and engaged online communities' are the worst thing to have happened to videogames.