Hate to be a broken record. But why a battle royale mode when they could just pay to have developers undergo surgical bio augmentation to bypass the need for sleep so they can work around the clock on churning out new maps? Not to mention this ridiculous Combined Arms thing. Who wants to fight terrible AI when you could be competing against other humans. 

Either I'm getting worse or the matchmaker is having issues finding lower rank players these days. I'm still only in the mid-twenty ranks and often find myself getting steamrolled by full teams of level 50s using the semi-auto rifles, and beating me with them from pretty much any range. The speed and precision possible with a mouse is evidently a perfect fit for those high damage weapons. Unfortunately I don't have the kind of time to put into getting that good anymore, and perhaps there is actually a cheating problem on PC too. I've seen two or three blatant ones that go 100-0 in minutes and everybody swears at in chat myself, worryingly those cheaters have been level 50 so perhaps at it for a while without being banned.

As a result I find myself playing vehicles more and actively avoiding combat, sneaking around to capture points behind the normal front lines and spending more time prone. Unfortunately the game is slowly becoming more frustrating than fun for me. I actually liked the TTK/TTD change that was reverted before Christmas and was puzzled when they flip-flopped on it so quickly.

Also couldn't give a toss about BR. I don't play Fortnight or whatever the kids do these days. :blah:

55 minutes ago, Halkyon said:

Either I'm getting worse or the matchmaker is having issues finding lower rank players these days. I'm still only in the mid-twenty ranks and often find myself getting steamrolled by full teams of level 50s using the semi-auto rifles, and beating me with them from pretty much any range. The speed and precision possible with a mouse is evidently a perfect fit for those high damage weapons. Unfortunately I don't have the kind of time to put into getting that good anymore, and perhaps there is actually a cheating problem on PC too. I've seen two or three blatant ones that go 100-0 in minutes and everybody swears at in chat myself, worryingly those cheaters have been level 50 so perhaps at it for a while without being banned.

As a result I find myself playing vehicles more and actively avoiding combat, sneaking around to capture points behind the normal front lines and spending more time prone. Unfortunately the game is slowly becoming more frustrating than fun for me. I actually liked the TTK/TTD change that was reverted before Christmas and was puzzled when they flip-flopped on it so quickly.

Also couldn't give a toss about BR. I don't play Fortnight or whatever the kids do these days. :blah:

There’s a massive hacking problem on PC apparently. Reddit has daily posts about it and nothing at all ever seems to be done. There’s clear video evidence of people using aimbots and getting instant headshots from fucking miles away and through walls and those players are still playing the game weeks later with no penalty or punishment whatsoever. DICE are deafeningly silent on the matter. Glad I don’t have to deal with that bullshit on PS4 as it would stop me playing straight away.

With regards to the TTK change and the almost immediate reversion to the original TTK: it was a knee-jerk reaction to their player metrics and data showing them that a significant number of players were dying a hell of a lot and then not playing anymore. I actually didn’t mind the slower TTK all that much (though I do prefer the faster one we originally had and have now after they changed it back) but because it was a blanket change shoehorned in it completely fucked the balance of the weapons. Couple that with the very vocal minority of the dedicated playerbase who post online and the streamers and YouTubers all losing their shit over it and DICE rapidly acknowledged their mistake and changed it back. It was a weird episode all round really but entirely indicative of the vacillating and incoherent way the game’s been managed since its launch.

I suspect that player numbers are too low for there to be any sort of real matchmaking going on. The 64-player nature of Battlefield has meant that I don’t think it really needs it to the same degree as a small arena shooter to be honest, but the team-balancer certainly still has issues.

I will say that rank 50 really is meaningless in this though. You can hit that in about 30 or 40 hours of play easily, so most people who’ve been playing the game since launch have been max rank for ages and it’s zero reflection of their skill or ability.

Can we talk a little bit about this please...

Battlefield is a game known for it's amazing destructible environments. 
Red canisters are known in video game visual language as being explosive. 

So Dice decide to insert two huge indestructible red canisters into the Arras map without explanation.

What the fuck are they smoking at Dice?

On 25/01/2019 at 12:04, kerraig UK said:

I've gone back to BF1 after 3 nights of half empty games. It's bordering on disaster. Which is a shame because the game is phenomenal. 

BF1 is still full, and still fucking amazing.

Is it worth jumping in late to BF1? It's a tenner (base game)  in the PS+ Sale

21 minutes ago, friedgold said:

Definitely. It still has a healthy population due to how often it’s been on sale recently and the mixed reception that BFV has received. Think it was Kerraig who was saying that he’s found it to have a healthier player population than BFV at the moment.

BF1 got a lot of shit from some quarters of the hardcore BF community (blergh) for being more ‘casual-friendly’ than BF4 but I’d ignore that. It’s a phenomenal game with a feel all of its own and in terms of the thunder and fury of being in the middle of a cacophonous and brutal war it’s arguably better than BFV in my opinion.

I’ll defend BF1 to the death. I think it’s a masterpiece and it’s single-handedly responsible for me being somewhat obsessed in learning about WW1 and that period of the birth of modern history.

25 minutes ago, friedgold said:

Fuck yeah. It's an incredibly robust game with a large player base and a mountain of content. I'll jump on with you next week if you're around.

Posted it before but fuck it, here's 6 mins of having a blast

10 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

Definitely. It still has a healthy population due to how often it’s been on sale recently and the mixed reception that BFV has received. Think it was Kerraig who was saying that he’s found it to have a healthier player population than BFV at the moment.

BF1 got a lot of shit from some quarters of the hardcore BF community (blergh) for being more ‘casual-friendly’ than BF4 but I’d ignore that. It’s a phenomenal game with a feel all of its own and in terms of the thunder and fury of being in the middle of a cacophonous and brutal war it’s arguably better than BFV in my opinion.

I’ll defend BF1 to the death. I think it’s a masterpiece and it’s single-handedly responsible for me being somewhat obsessed in learning about WW1 and that period of the birth of modern history.

I couldn't agree more. I think BF1 is a misunderstood and crafty game. It plays quite differently to any other FPS due to the trenches and deformation engines. Its a lot more defensive

On 25/01/2019 at 20:02, Sarlaccfood said:

You recommend turning them right down don’t you? Is that just for when you’re aiming or in general?

Thats generally not the norm though, especially if you’ve come from arena shooters. Play around with what feels comfortable for you. A lot of people will find the base sensitively slow and up it, then you can adjust the ADS sensitivity so it’s not so twitchy when aiming down sight.

In regards to the state of the game, it’s a shame as this does so many things better than BF1 yet they seem to be taking so long to address some issues. Also the fact we’ve only had 1 map since launch means we’ve played the base maps so much now. The YouTube brigade say that Tides of War is our reason for keep playing, but honestly I’d rather we didn’t have that and kept the season pass if I knew we would have had 16 maps spread out over the course of 12-18 months post launch.

To those who are just popping into this thread and haven’t bought it, me and Kerraig along with Luseth, Stigweard and others have put in hundreds of hours on it so far. It’s not like we don’t like the game, we just want it to reach its true potential. 

Full patch notes: 

http://eaassets-a.akamaihd.net/dice-commerce/Casablanca/Update_Notes/20190129-01/Battlefield_V_Chapter_2_Lightning_Strikes_Update_29012019_FINAL.pdf

Things that stand out to me:

• Corrections to footstep volume
  • Alterations to Panzerstorm to give infantry more cover
  • Improvements to vaulting, ledge-grabbing and going prone
  • More consistent bipod deployment behaviour
  • AA gun improvements
  • Squad chat has returned (finally! :omg:)
  • Frontlines is fixed

Well, they might've fixed the bipod deployment problem in today's patch, but thanks to the changes they made in the previous patch they probably needn't have bothered. The recoil on bipoded LMGs / MMGs is still so great that, unless your target is at close range, the recoil will take you off target in a fraction of a second. You may as well just lay on the floor with an assault rifle - it'll reload quicker. Maybe it's not as big a problem on PC where it's perhaps easier to control recoil using a mouse, but it's largely ruined the affected guns on console.

It used to be that there was a strong risk / reward ethos in BF games, so bipods for instance gave you superior control but at the cost of mobility and increased-vulnerability. Now it's just the risk, but not the reward.

Reddit AMA confirms there's only one more map due between now and June. 

I paid £80 for this game. 

I'm probably the biggest BF fanboy on the forum and they've basically turned me right off. I haven't played it in a week. 

They totally fucked it 

8 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Damn shame. I love the game, even if it is riddled with bugs, but I'm so bored of the maps. We've moved on to other games due to fatigue of playing the same maps over and over. It kind of loses its appeal over time.

I guess we can probably put that down to poor sales just like Battlefront? Without any DLC to get more cash, it’s going to be a case of diminishing returns- surely most people by now will have bought the game if they were going to, and this news certainly isn’t going to encourage new purchasers.

That’s the problem with this business model of drip feeding free content over time and expanding the game though, surely? If people see the game isn’t really ‘complete’ on release, they delay buying it, then poor sales mean the plans for content have to be scaled down.

43 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

I'm probably the biggest BF fanboy on the forum and they've basically turned me right off. I haven't played it in a week. 

They totally fucked it 

Well I'm gonna sell my copy then I think n go back to bf1 =/

On 17/01/2019 at 08:39, moosegrinder said:

The long and short is if there's no additional revenue coming in there isn't going to be an abundance of content. People didn't want the season pass and enough people didn't buy them in the first place that it fractured the player base. Having no season pass is such a new development that the reduction in additional revenue has to be made up somehow and I don't think they fully thought it through. Unfortunately WWII doesn't really allow for the kind of unique/stupid/exploitative (delete as applicable) cosmetic monetisation that Overwatch et al get away with. It's not like you can run around with an anachronistic custom sprayed Lee Enfield that's comparable to the bonkers skins in Black Ops IIII.

I've no idea what EA were thinking when they set the window for this. I genuinely don't think the backlash to it being pushed to March or even June would have been as bad as the complete fuck up that this launch has been. Low sales, blatantly unfinished mechanics, a dearth of maps, a broken movement system and now they're overcompensating in the balances and making vehicles and weapons next to useless. This game deserves SO much better than it's got. When it works it's absolute mag-fucking-nificent. When you're in the game and you've squadded up and you're turning a game that's 200 tickets against you there's nothing else like it. But then you come out and see all the shit going around it (and lack of communication) and the possibility that it's fucking still born* is heart breaking.

* Yes hyperbole, but I'm tired and fucked off with how EA have handled this and DICE's lack of communication and forethought.

^

1 hour ago, kerraig UK said:

They totally fucked it 

+1 

They totally fucked it 

I am really confident that EA will provide a good level of quality ongoing content for Anthem.

insinceredave.png?250

That’s shocking. That would mean only 2 new maps within the first 7 months, which is nowhere near enough. I’d assumed they’d kept a few on the backburner ready to release with each new Tides of War chapter but apparently not. How the fuck they thought that paltry amount of new content would keep people playing I’ll never know.

It's EA, if a game doesn’t meet investor expectations they cut and run. See the ongoing support that Battlefront 2 got as well. I'll say this for Ubisoft, I'm not a fan of their every game feels the same style of design, but they do stick by their games even if they have an uninspiring launch.

15 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

That’s shocking. That would mean only 2 new maps within the first 7 months, which is nowhere near enough. I’d assumed they’d kept a few on the backburner ready to release with each new Tides of War chapter but apparently not. How the fuck they thought that paltry amount of new content would keep people playing I’ll never know.

I suppose with this new model of free content over paid premium passes, why would they invest in new maps if the game isn't doing too well? Customers haven't paid for anything so there's no commitment from EA's side. I mean, if they want to protect the future of the series, of course they should, but they'd probably be happier to spend more on FIFA.

@kerraig UK what did £80 get you if there's no premium pass?