Battlefield V

kerraig UK

Just now, kerraig UK said:

Jump in with us pinhole. We had a huge gang on last night. I've sent you a few invites.

More maps, more guns, fix the texture pop in. That's all I got. It's fucking glorious.

Will do. Couldn’t find my mic the other night when I was playing with you guys and have been playing a bit of Firestorm this week but chuck me an invite if you see me on.

4 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

Will do. Couldn’t find my mic the other night when I was playing with you guys and have been playing a bit of Firestorm this week but chuck me an invite if you see me on.

Is firestorm worth bothering with then?

33 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Is firestorm worth bothering with then?

It plays a pretty damn good battle royale as it has the crisp BFV gunplay mechanics underpinning it all and the fast TTK makes engagements incredibly tense and brutal affairs. I’ve had some awesome matches in a squad and the destructible buildings and vehicles can throw up some genuine Battlefield moments. Chugging down the side of a hill on a tractor with your squadmates balanced on the back demolishing Norwegian wooden houses with Panzerfausts has its own unique charm. I do really like it but it will always have that inherent problem of half of your games being nothing more than a ten minute sprint across open terrain only to get suddenly wiped out in seconds.

Apex Legends is overall a better and more refined experience in my opinion and if you have a few hours of Battlefield time then it’s generally gonna be more fulfilling spending it on the traditional multiplayer modes and maps really as you’re absolutely guaranteed a good time there. But there’s definitely fun to be had in Firestorm in a squad, no doubt about it.

I've jumped back on BF this week for the pricley sum of £19 quid for the deluxe on Cd keys!

Got a win on Firestorm, as has been said, plays like a more polished PUBG, but by my lord that loot system is woeful - just a load of shit all over the ground. How that passed playtesting  who knows.

Think it needs,

another circle added as there's too much running (strangely cuts off half the map at each start)

totally revamped loot and inventory

better drop animation and control (shaky hands and always feel you are dropping into a force ten gale)

better organisation of ammo and guns

24 minutes ago, macosx said:

I've jumped back on BF this week for the pricley sum of £19 quid for the deluxe on Cd keys!

Got a win on Firestorm, as has been said, plays like a more polished PUBG, but by my lord that loot system is woeful - just a load of shit all over the ground. How that passed playtesting  who knows.

Think it needs,

another circle added as there's too much running (strangely cuts off half the map at each start)

totally revamped loot and inventory

better drop animation and control (shaky hands and always feel you are dropping into a force ten gale)

better organisation of ammo and guns

Criterion have said they're working on the loot thing but they had to ship it with loot system as is. Sounds about right. 

The map is too big for solos definitely. Not sure about squads as I've not played with anyone. The fact duos isn't in there and is going to be a time limited mode is utter, utter fucking bullshit.

15 hours ago, pinholestar said:

It's fixed with the latest patch, so calm your tits. Also seems a little odd to criticise it for prioritising micro-transactions when it's taken them nearly half a year since release to implement them. Not to defend DICE/EA too much as the game was clearly released in a really shoddy half-finished state but (as they always do eventually) they've pretty much fixed all the issues and the whole thing plays superbly well now and I have very few issues with it. Apart from a lack of new maps of course.

It’s good that it’s been fixed, but still inexcusable that this kind of obvious bug was present at all in a new patch. Maybe my post was a bit of an overreaction, but my problem is that pretty much every patch has introduced new and prominent bugs, and they never seem to care about that and prevent it from happening in the next one. Just seems that instead of using resources to test and bug fix, they’re adding in-game currency and premium purchases.

I guess I’m just frustrated because at its core, it’s a great game as you say, but they’re focusing on the unimportant things instead of preventing stupid bugs and providing more maps, which would definitely improve it rather than further damaging the game.

3 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Does anyone have any recommended tweaks for this, on PS4?

Stuff like look speed sensitivity and the likes. :)

I think it's pretty dependent on your play style. My partners think my settings are mental. I have sensitivity down at 13%, and ADS at about 80% of that. FOV at 135%

6 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Does anyone have any recommended tweaks for this, on PS4?

Stuff like look speed sensitivity and the likes. :)

As Kerraig says it's very much down to personal preference. In such a fast-paced game with danger round every corner I prefer a higher sensitivity and quicker response so use the following:

Soldier Aim Sensitivity: 50%

Lower sensitivity makes it initially easier to aim and stay on target but reduces your ability to react quickly and control recoil. Higher sensitivity can feel twitchy at first but once you become accustomed to it you're better equipped to whip your aim round when needed. Especially useful if you're playing medic and hipfiring at close quarters, I've found. 

Soldier Zoom Aim Sensitivity: 100%

This will make your hipfire and ADS sensitivity feel exactly the same. I like the consistency it gives but if you struggle to maintain a target then dropping it to 50% makes it feel like CoD, with that heavier ADS feel.

Vehicle Aim Sensitivity: 50%

Aiming Left/Right Acceleration: 0%

This one's crucial I think. Gives an instant response to aiming and removes all sluggishness, making it feel buttery smooth.

Uniform Soldier Aiming: On

This one's excellent for training your muscle memory as it gives a consistent controller response no matter what sight, scope or zoom you're using. So a turn 90° to the right or left will feel the same whether you're holding a pistol or aiming down a sniper scope.

Soldier Zoom Aim Sensitivity: 100% for all of them.

Especially important if you're using Uniform Soldier Aiming as it maintains that feeling of aim consistency across all zoom and scope levels.

Vertical Aim Ratio: This is a relatively new setting and I've never touched it since it was introduced, so have left it at the default values.

Centre Deadzone: 13%

Not sure if this is the default but it's what I use and works well. Too high and it will feel very sluggish, too low and you'll be twitching all over the place.

L2/R2 Deadzone: 0%

L2/R2 Input Threshold: 50% or lower

Instant response to trigger pulls for ADS and firing. We're talking milliseconds here but in a game with such a fast TTK it can make a difference when you get jumped.

All of the above are personal preference and you may well find that they initially feel way too twitchy but they've worked very well for me. Play around with them in Combined Arms or singleplayer first as jumping into a proper game and having your aim all over the shop as you get used to them can be really off-putting.

The following though I'd recommend for everyone:

Minimap On Foot Zoom Radius: 150

An absolute must. Gives you a much broader overview of what's going on and where enemies are likely to be coming from.

Field Of View: between 64 (which gives a 80° horizontal FOV) to 74 (which gives a 90° horizontal FOV)

In a game where you frequently get shot from all directions, having greater peripheral vision is hugely beneficial. Push it out too far however and not only do you get a weird fisheye effect but it also literally makes targets on your screen smaller and so harder to aim at.

Chromatic Aberration, Film Grain, Vignette, Lens Distortion: Set all of these to Off

You won't notice the difference in terms of the general image quality and although they've improved the visibility issues since launch it's still a very visually busy game and these only serve to make enemies more difficult to see.

In the Audio settings change the Sound Preset to War Tapes. Gives it that classic chaotic Battlefield soundscape.

8 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

As Kerraig says it's very much down to personal preference. In such a fast-paced game with danger round every corner I prefer a higher sensitivity and quicker response so use the following:

Soldier Aim Sensitivity: 50%

Lower sensitivity makes it initially easier to aim and stay on target but reduces your ability to react quickly and control recoil. Higher sensitivity can feel twitchy at first but once you become accustomed to it you're better equipped to whip your aim round when needed. Especially useful if you're playing medic and hipfiring at close quarters I've found. 

Soldier Zoom Aim Sensitivity: 100%

This will make your hipfire and ADS sensitivity feel exactly the same. I like the consistency it gives but if you struggle to maintain a target then dropping it to 50% makes it feel like CoD, with that heavier ADS feel.

Vehicle Aim Sensitivity: 50%

Aiming Left/Right Acceleration: 0%

This one's crucial I think. Gives an instant response to aiming and removes all sluggishness, making it feel buttery smooth.

Uniform Soldier Aiming: On

This one's excellent for training your muscle memory as it gives a consistent controller response no matter what sight, scope or zoom you're using. So a turn 90° to the right or left will feel the same whether you're holding a pistol or aiming down a sniper scope.

Soldier Zoom Aim Sensitivity: 100% for all of them.

Especially important if you're using Uniform Soldier Aiming as it maintains that feeling of aim consistency across all zoom and scope levels.

Vertical Aim Ratio: This is a relatively new setting and I've never touched it since it was introduced, so have left it at the default values.

Centre Deadzone: 13%

Not sure if this is the default but it's what I use and works well. Too high and it will feel very sluggish, too low and you'll be twitching all over the place.

L2/R2 Deadzone: 0%

L2/R2 Input Threshold: 50% or lower

Instant response to trigger pulls for ADS and firing. We're talking milliseconds here but in a game with such a fast TTK it can make a difference when you get jumped.

All of the above are personal preference and you may well find that they initially feel way too twitchy but they've worked very well for me. Play around with them in Combined Arms or singleplayer first as jumping into a proper game and having your aim all over the shop as you get used to them can be really off-putting.

The following though I'd recommend for everyone:

Minimap On Foot Zoom Radius: 150

An absolute must. Gives you a much broader overview of what's going on and where enemies are likely to be coming from.

Field Of View: between 64 (which gives a 80° horizontal FOV) to 74 (which gives a 90° horizontal FOV)

In a game where you frequently get shot from all directions having greater peripheral vision is hugely beneficial. Push it out too far however and not only do you get a weird fisheye effect but it also literally makes targets on your screen smaller and so harder to aim at.

Chromatic Aberration, Film Grain, Vignette, Lens Distortion: Set all of these to Off

You won't notice the difference in terms of the general image quality and although they've improved the visibility issues since launch it's still a very visually busy game and these only serve to make enemies more difficult to see.

In the Audio settings change the Sound Preset to War Tapes. Gives it that classic chaotic Battlefield soundscape.

I just checked and I actually have my FOV at 75. Its the minimap I have at 135. 

Totally concur with pinhole about the minimap. Increasing it is essential. 

As for the rest of his settings. I literally would not be able to hit a thing with those numbers. You're a crazy man!

2 hours ago, Retroguy said:

It’s good that it’s been fixed, but still inexcusable that this kind of obvious bug was present at all in a new patch. Maybe my post was a bit of an overreaction, but my problem is that pretty much every patch has introduced new and prominent bugs, and they never seem to care about that and prevent it from happening in the next one. Just seems that instead of using resources to test and bug fix, they’re adding in-game currency and premium purchases.

I guess I’m just frustrated because at its core, it’s a great game as you say, but they’re focusing on the unimportant things instead of preventing stupid bugs and providing more maps, which would definitely improve it rather than further damaging the game.

Pretty much agree with everything you say here but I think as soon as they removed the Premium Pass and went down the live service route it was always going to require micro-transactions and (frankly a little pointless in an FPS) cosmetics to be implemented. The DICE patch cycle where they fix one thing and somehow break another is almost tradition by this point. It's almost like it takes a concerted effort for them to do it literally every time.

Settings list me do! Mainly in comparison to Pineholestars list.

Soldier aim sensitivity: 40%

Solder aim zoom sensitivity: 80%. I like it slightly slower when ADS'ing, I find it easier to track targets.

Zehicle aim sensitivity: 80%

Aim left / right acceleration: 0%. I agree with pinholestar, I find it pretty much essential to turn this off.

Uniform soldier aiming: On

Soldier zoom sensitivity: 100% for all.

Center deadzone (both sticks) 5%. Any lower and I found drift started to occur.

L2/R2 deadzone: 0%

L2/R2 max input threshold: 5%

Mini map size: 130%

FOV: 75

Visual effects: All off

Sound preset: 3D headphones. After watching a developer discuss this and with most of my play occurring in headphones I chose this over War Tapes.

I've just this minute finished SW:BF2 on EA Access and noticed I have this installed on my One X with a 10 hour trial. Is the single player campaign worth my time or is it not up to much? I quite liked BF1's story mode if that means anything.

4 minutes ago, amc said:

I've just this minute finished SW:BF2 on EA Access and noticed I have this installed on my One X with a 10 hour trial. Is the single player campaign worth my time or is it not up to much? I quite liked BF1's story mode if that means anything.

It’s about on a par with the BF1 story mode. Nothing special or remotely memorable but a decent enough romp through some evocative WW2-era locales. If you’ve got a 10 hour trial then you could easily play all the War Stories in that time.

1 hour ago, pinholestar said:

Cheers for the games tonight @kerraig UK. Good shit. Should have a mic sorted soon too although I trust my objective marking was to your satisfaction. That artillery barrage on Rotterdam though man... I almost cried. :facepalm:

@Luseth is a fucking beast at this game btw. Strolling round with his 4.5 KD games like it ain’t no thang.

Luseth is by far the best player on our squad. 

I'm usually good at commands, but boy did I fuck that. 

You were on point. But get a mic. And you better know how to swear. 

17 hours ago, pinholestar said:

Cheers for the games tonight @kerraig UK. Good shit. Should have a mic sorted soon too although I trust my objective marking was to your satisfaction. That artillery barrage on Rotterdam though man... I almost cried. :facepalm:

@Luseth is a fucking beast at this game btw. Strolling round with his 4.5 KD games like it ain’t no thang.

16 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Luseth is by far the best player on our squad. 

I'm usually good at commands, but boy did I fuck that. 

You were on point. But get a mic. And you better know how to swear. 

Thank you both but tbf we have a good group. Quite often the fact that so many of you's are vocal helps a huge amount i.e. being able to get the jump on opposition squads etc. I'm fairly confident I wouldn't do so well playing with a bunch of randoms

If you enjoyed the relentless chaotic meat grinder of Metro and Locker then boy is Grind the gamemode for you. 

Three objectives in close proximity to one another on a very narrow linear line with virtually no flanking routes. It’s a camping bipoder’s dream. Just spray blindly and you’re virtually guaranteed to hit something. Cleared the Tides of War this week and that’s the absolute last I’ll play of that. It’s seems completely contrary to everything that Battlefield does better than any other FPS but I guess some people dig it.

I will say, if anyone is total dirt with recon (like me) it's a godsend for levelling that, spam flares at the flags (helpfully all with ammo points in close proximity) and the points flow like water.

Obviously feels filthy, but hey ho

It feels like I’ve well and truly reached my limit with BFV. I’ve saw the 9 maps too many times and with all the bugs & crazy fluctuations in latency I’ve gone back to BF1. I miss the new additions like squad revive but it’s nice to have so many maps to choose from and a game that simply runs a million times better.

10 minutes ago, McFly said:

Another update FFS!

Yup so that they can introduce more cosmetics to try and get the player base to spend real world money....

Yeah sadly i'm really going off this game due to their persistence in trying to rinse the players.... They are too focused on ways to make more money out of it instead of ensuring the player base doesn't dwindle.

They really need to make up for this with the next game else I think the end could well be looming for the series which would be  a shame. I mean underneath the game's pretty good but the direction DICE and EA are headed with it is not good.

Luseth that’s very negative. Have you seen the updates in the patch? It’s got nothing to do with updates to spend money. The team are working hard to continually improve the game.

The game didn’t have long enough in production for reasons we’ve already discussed. They are playing catch up, have pledged support until late next year and we do have new content coming. 

The game hasn’t tanked, saying the entire franchise is in trouble is going a bit far. I do understand your frustration though. You, like me, wanted new maps yesterday to keep things fresh.

The new costumes are optional at the end of the day, so i wouldnt go as far to say theybare "rinsing" people. Most of them are crap but id never buy any regardless as earning them is so much better. Im actually enjoying this game more and more, but some new maps would be so good. Its been 70ish gigs of updates since ive had it which is mind boggling rally.