rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Benny

The Official Rllmuk Game of the Year Awards 2017 - BONUS

It's a huge compliment that he's already looking forward to SF 40th Anniversary because he knows ARMS will keep him occupied until then :)

• Upvote 2

I think last year was, by some margin, the best year ever for videogames. So it's quite something that of the four games already mentioned, ARMS is the first I've played.

2017, man. Twenty fucking seventeen.

• Upvote 2

While the rest of the world goes to shit, at least we had some damn fine videogames to escape into.

• Upvote 3

On 09/03/2018 at 19:11, Benny said:

I now cannot wait to get the SF 40th Anniversary Collection

I imagine that's going to be amazing on PS5/Xbox Two XX/Nintendo Unicorn, but you know the 30th Anniversary Collection is coming out in May? ;) 

That was HarMGM that said that rather than me. I'll be waiting for the Super Ex Plus Turbo version of the collection to come out.

I'm assuming people didn't vote for MK8 because it's a rerelease as that's a shockingly poor showing.

Well it did get into the top 10 of the forum's 100 best games of all time, so I would assume that to be the case, yes.

4 hours ago, Stanley said:

I'm assuming people didn't vote for MK8 because it's a rerelease as that's a shockingly poor showing.

I don't know, I thought it being a bit rubs was enough of a reason for it to not make my personal top 50 for the year ;) 

• Empathy 1

Yessssss!

I was a little worried I was going to have a falling out with you Benny.

Needs Jolly and clippa quotes added, tbf ;) 

Nex is still on my "shit I need to play" list and has been for an age. I'll get there, I promise. :blush: 

It's way too low for the sorts of gamers on this forum who clearly know a good game. They got something wrong with the timing and/or marketing of Nex Machina. They should probably just give it to PS+ now and let everyone enjoy its brilliance.

13 hours ago, Hylian said:

It's way too low for the sorts of gamers on this forum who clearly know a good game. They got something wrong with the timing and/or marketing of Nex Machina. They should probably just give it to PS+ now and let everyone enjoy its brilliance.

It should have been multi platform for a start and whilst it looks and sounds great, for my tastes, it probably doesn't do enough to distinguish itself from other twin stick shooters. It has the most amazing playability and mechanics but I can imagine a lot of folks looking it at and lumping it in with a load of other games. Or perhaps it's just that the traditional twin stick arcade shooter has had its day. 

I think it suffered fairly majorly from being released smack bang in the middle of a ridiculously purple patch. And if I have to be mean to it, it does look fairly derivative; mixing a few too many browns and greens in with the glorious neon. But it's also, literally, the absolute pinnacle of the genre. A perfect expression of a simple concept. 

Considering there's been examples of the genre fairly consistently for over thirty years, I think it's unlikely that the "twin stick shooter has had its day". But if it has had its day it's because of Nex Machnia, not in spite of it.

• Upvote 2