IGNORED

The Official Rllmuk Game of the Year Awards 2017 - BONUS

Benny

3 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Any chance of Nex Machina coming to Switch? I’ve boxed up my PS4 now so can’t be arsed to set it up again. 

I would be surprised. The graphics are probably way beyond what the switch can cope with so would need a lot of work to port a downgraded version. You don't want this running at 30 frames.

Yay! That's actually much higher than I expected.

I don't want to add too much to what I said, but this was pretty much everything I could have wanted from a new game in the Nier world. It's not free from criticism, but I also think it's unfair to criticise a game for what it's not, and the second anyone's argument enters "but compared to Bayonetta" territory I tune out. Judged as a "character action game", Nier doesn't have the pacing, combat complexity or immediate gratification that one expects from the genre... but judged as a third-person action RPG - especially next to Gestalt and Replicant - it's a great evolution of the formula established by those games.  :) I can't wait for everyone to misread the intentions of Granblue Fantasy Project Re:Link months from now ;) 

Yay again! But y'know, I was close to adding a vote for disappointment myself because of those longer stretches - I think the only reason I didn't was because I rate P4G so highly, and expecting the team to surpass that game would be asking a lot. So I kind of kept my expectations at a more realistic level rather than hyping myself up and becoming disappointed.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I'm glad Benny has at least played half the games in the top 10 so far :)

I've played some of them specifically because of where they ranked on this list, others I have already just because I have superb taste, obviously.

In a year filled with great games, Prey was my favourite by a decent margin. Just a brilliant, oppressive immersive sim. The combined setting, mood and dynamism put it somewhere between System Shock and Deus Ex in design, and it executes that concept extremely well. Absolutely deserving of its top 10 position. 

I didn't like Dishonored either but really loved Prey (it just snuck in as my number ten for of the year). Might have been a bit higher but it is a bit wonky in places (on the PS4 anyway) and is easily five or so hours too long.

I would say, as someone who enjoyed Dishonored, that Prey is a far stronger (and significantly different) game because its mechanics aren't fighting with its aim; Dishonored wanted you to play it as a stealth game (something its story made clear), but playing it well in that attempt (which wasn't exactly hard, due to the basic stealth system, simple AI and superpowers) meant missing out on its eclectic range of combat options. I still enjoyed it despite that - the open levels and great art style were enough to keep me involved - but it did feel like it undermined itself somewhat.

By contrast, Prey is not a stealth game, though it encourages the player be careful and not rush headlong into situations, and allows the player to choose their own approach. However, it forces the player to choose how to direct their development and skills, keeping a high level of flexibility but locking it behind careful decision making, rather than just giving you every toy and letting you go wild. It works very well, at times feeling like a choose-your-own-sequence-break Metroid game.

Also the story's engaging, and really helps things keep going at a decent lick. It's just a complete package.

Completely forgot I voted for these. :doh:

Oh my, just noticed I'm being quoted in some of the entries. I feel so accomplished.8-) Thanks Benny!

Oh no, I got Street Fighter's anniversary wrong. :doh:

Oh no,  everybody else noticed.:facepalm:

Oh well, back to ARMS then.:)

44 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Dishonored wanted you to play it as a stealth game (something its story made clear), but playing it well in that attempt (which wasn't exactly hard, due to the basic stealth system, simple AI and superpowers) meant missing out on its eclectic range of combat options.

I think this might be why I dropped it in the end, it felt like a game sometimes fighting against itself and put too many restrictions on the player considering the freedom it promised. I really have to try Prey.

Agreed, Prey is significantly different structurally and gameplay wise from Dishonored.  DH presents the player a series of infiltration missions, the best of which have a myriad of different paths through exquisite level design, but ultimately they all have only 2 outcomes, one of which has to be a achieved to progress  Prey is an immersive sim, THE immersive sim in fact, and although certain parts of the space station are inaccessibe at times, is far more free form.  There is a story line to follow but exploring off the beaten path at times yields surprising results.  Choosing what to do and then how to accomplish it along the way is everything.  Anyway #1 GOTY here. 

1 hour ago, Let us measure said:

Well seeing as we know what the top three are, that must mean Nioh for position five or four. :wub:

My sixth favourite game of the year. Absolutely broke my heart not to be able to vote for it.

FUN FACT: Other than Bloodborne, it's the best Souls fame.

So I would assume we're looking at Yakuza 0 and Nioh at 4 and 5, with the obvious top 3 of Horizon, Mario and Zelda. Slightly surprised on the Switch front that neither Splatoon 2 nor Mario/Rabbids snuck into the top 20 but ARMS did.

Even as a massive fan of ARMS, I'd say Splatoon 2 is arguably a better game (more accessible, higher skill ceiling, much more variety) but it's probably not different enough from the first game to make as much of an impact on a list like this. I'm absolutely chuffed that ARMS made it on, by the way.