IGNORED

The Official Rllmuk Game of the Year Awards 2017 - BONUS

Benny

There are quite a few games that were on the top 100 games list last year that were released the same year that I hadn't got around to playing, so happily some of those that were voted for in the games of the year lists were ones I actually got around to playing and can now do reviews for. Yakuza 0 being one.

So, onto the top 3, who's taking the Bronze? It was close at the top... And Yakuza nearly got 3rd...

Glad Yak finally went mass-market in forum terms. It's been flying under the radar for ages (I personally only got into it with Yak3 having missed the PS2 offerings) but the series is a real labour of love and Yak0 is the undisputed high point.

Good write up too @Benny

Right, quick links added in first post. You'll have to wait a little bit for the top 3, because I have an awful lot to say about all of them, and I've not decided how to start yet. I'm also on holiday.

1 hour ago, Benny said:

You'll have to wait a little bit for the top 3, because I have an awful lot to say about all of them, and I've not decided how to start yet.

No worries Benny, I've got you covered:

Only one of these games deserves to be in the top 10, and none of them deserve to be in the top 3. Why must the forum persist in embarrassing itself so publicly year on year? Still, I suppose Nintendo should get some credit for finally making a great Zelda game. Maybe next time they'll manage to do the same with Mario!

You'll have to come up with the rest, though ;) 

I should say I do know that you can turn the HUD off, but the way the game is structured tends to favour pushing the player down certain paths. It's not a major criticism, but a side effect of the overall design.

Yeah, I've just started playing H:ZD and it's a worthy placing in the top 5.

3 hours ago, Benny said:

When the illusion works, there is something uncanny about how these beasts move. Machine herds grazing in the distance with their glowing blue lights illuminating through trees can be a distinctly unnerving and thrilling sight.

True. The other thing you didn't mention with regard to:

3 hours ago, Benny said:

if you have not been methodical in reducing threats you will be quickly overwhelmed.

Is that the game gives you the agency - within the lore of the game - to do the necessary prep. The Focus allows you to tag and track all of the enemies, so if you don't get it right, it's all down to you.

I love the game world, and I'm probably less than a quarter into it. Taking a Watcher out with a single arrow to the eye never gets old.

Yeah, it's not so much a criticism as observation, that you need to be prepared as it's definitely not a game to give you an easy ride. The combat feels unusually exacting for this kind of open world RPG.