rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Benny

The Official Rllmuk Game of the Year Awards 2017 - BONUS

Nailed it. It’s the way it redefines the act of exploration in a videogame that sets it apart & you captured that aspect perfectly. Great summation of the most worthy game of the year winner there’s ever been.

• Upvote 2

Amazing write up on my favourite game from last year. 

Still bamboozled and annoyed at some recent forumite claims that the combat is lacklustre, which is utter bullshit. 

• Upvote 2

A Nintendo game in the top position that I actually like! That's a rarity. Breath of the Wild is brilliant, an example of Nintendo really going out of their way to try something different - to try a brand new style of mainline Zelda for the first time in ages, and to put their own spin on the modern style of open world game. The world, the way it's all set up to reward experimentation through its interlocking physics systems, and exploration through its massive, gorgeous, and pleasingly non-dense open world is a delight.

The only real sour note for me was the voice acting (and the bizarre decision to hide alternative voice options behind the region of your account), but that's not such an issue when the story as told is a relatively minor aspect of the game. Indeed, how little that mattered is reflected by the fact that it managed to win me, the story-loving, traditional Zelda-disliker, over - and that's saying something.

Also, Link's a bit of a cutie, which is always a bonus. The game also legitimately made me feel bad for ruining someone's garden, which has to be a first.

Still bamboozled and annoyed by, if somewhat resigned to, recent forumite claims that opinions contrary to their own are utter bullshit.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

17 hours ago, Benny said:

As videogames have developed over the years, their worlds have got bigger, but the enjoyment through simple process of discovery has always been one of their great strengths. In some ways, many modern games with their waypoints, busywork, checklists, achievements and laundry lists of “stuff” feels like games have matured but are now starting to languish in the trappings and responsibilities of adulthood, mirroring our busy lives.

That's a nice way of looking at it. Sometimes I play Breath of the Wild as a kind of mindfulness exercise - I don't really make any progress as such, but use it as a wonderful way of just 'being' after a busy day of 'doing'.

• Upvote 7

That 1-2-Switch image :lol: 

As I mentioned earlier, I didn't enjoy P5 as much as 4, but I don't know if I could call it a "disappointment" when I already kept my expectations at a realistic level. That said, I only rolled my eyes at the translation job and characterisation (which I think disappointed people the most), whilst I had bigger issues with the pacing of the palaces... :unsure:

The top 3 are fair enough but come on now, anyone voting for 1-2 Switch doesn't deserve to play videogames, it's an absolute masterpiece. Well, it's a piece of something. 

I adored the first game and felt truly absorbed into that Ghibli via Triplets of Belleville world. I also became obsessed with the soundtrack for a couple of months. I've still not got beyond the excruciating tutorial area of GR2. How long before I'm in a beautiful town? That floating brown area is the opposite of Gravity Rush, to me. 

OK, cheers. I must be about halfway. Writing the reply made me remember how much I'd loved the first game so I'll have another crack at it. 

• Upvote 1

Now @Benny, I don’t know what dungeon crawling is, but I’m pretty certain Enter the Gungeon isn’t it.

Also how can anyone be disappointed with 1-2 Switch? The phone answering game is worth £60 on its own! Probably, I borrowed it off someone.

On 09/04/2018 at 03:32, Kirby said:

I feel sorry for the Gravity Rush 2 developers; a game with such originality and charm only received a single point, even beaten by some dreadful walking simulators. If you haven't already played it, sells for only £20 now (and so does the first game).

Gravity Rush is the new Sonic.

29 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I don't see much similarity between the games.

Would you say you're an expert in Sonic games?

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Kirby said:

No? I don't like most Sonic titles, they're too fast for the controls and you crash into unseen objects.

So not like Gravity Rush at all then.

Was Yooka-Laylee so forgettable that it didn't manage to make anyone's lists for any category?

• Upvote 1

I made a topic about hat in time as I thought it looked fun, only to be told I should boycott it because some YouTube "personality", who was a Nazi or something, was in it as a talking badger. 

• Downvote 2

Well, to be more precise some people said that they, themselves, had decided not to try the game as they didn't want to support the developers, a) because of JonTron's involvement and b) because the lead developer, Mecha the Slag, is noted for having doxxed and created a hate site against someone.

• Upvote 6

None of those are Nier Automata :( but I can appreciate that the above entries are all ace anyway so I admit it was probably a competitive category. But yeah, the journey of the YoRha units was packed with world-building, incidental details in sidequests and weapon stories, awesome twists and reveals and some great conclusions. Meanwhile, P5 probably took some hits for the translation job and the representation issues but again there were some great late-game reveals. :) 

• Upvote 2