rllmuk
Alan Stock

Carrion - Be a fleshy tentacle nightmare monster

This looks amazing:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-03-02-be-the-oozing-flesh-monster-and-eviscerate-humans-with-your-tendrils-in-reversed-horror-game-carrion

Reveal trailer:

Gameplay:

Not sure how good the gameplay is going to be, but they've properly nailed the feel of it. The way it bloody moves, the lighting, the sound - brilliant stuff. Looks like it's probably a Metroidvania structure. Regardless of how it plays, it's a joy/nightmare to watch!

• Upvote 2

This looks fun, albeit for a very specific definition of fun. Has anyone played the developers’ previous game, Butcher? It has a similar style, except you’re a terminator-style android seeking to eradicate all surviving humans - it looks like a cross between Broforce and Teleglitch, or alternatively, as if Sensible software created Alien 3 on the SNES. 

• Upvote 1

All the gorey stuff looks "amazing" (if you can give artistic merit to gore) and will probably send teens wild, but you can see slamming bodies around getting tedious pretty quickly. Did you play Butcher, K? How was it? 

I've always loved these games where you play as the nightmare monster - Aliens vs Predator is probably the best example, where you really felt like the creatures in the films - but were vulnerable too. The fleshy monster concept has so much potential, though looking at the gameplay here I'd be surprised for much of it to be realised in Carrion - pulling switches to open doors isn't exactly the height of game design, but maybe I'll be proved wrong.

The Thing is another idea that hasn't been done too well in games yet - (where you play as The Thing rather than survivors). There is some multiplayer game based on The Thing concept but it's pretty rough around the edges and in Early Access. The multiplayer game Space Station 13 has shapeshifter and vampire characters which do pretty much the same thing. It's fun watching Youtube videos of Space Station 13 where a player is slowly luring crew members into isolation, slaughtering them and mimicking their appearance in an attempt to take over the place. There's not really been "The Thing" games that have much of the horrible monster side of it - that's the itch that Carrion is tickling for me. Those waving tentacles and how fast it moves, it's horrifying. More like this please!

It kind of reminds me of the movie Life. It would work well as a metroidvania style game where you rapidly evolve, giving yourself new abilities to overcome the obstacles and dangers the humans have come up with as a way to stop you.

1 hour ago, Alan Stock said:

All the gorey stuff looks "amazing" (if you can give artistic merit to gore) and will probably send teens wild, but you can see slamming bodies around getting tedious pretty quickly. Did you play Butcher, K? How was it? 

Sorry, post was a bit vague - I haven't played it, but wondered if anyone had, as it looks like my kind of thing but I haven't seen any reviews (or indeed heard of its existence until yesterday). The promotional material for the game makes a big thing about how difficult it is, which is slightly tedious, to the extent that some free DLC to make the game easier makes a big thing out of accusing the player of being a wimp, which is even more tedious - I play games to relax, not to get called names by some nerd gatekeeper who thinks that playing hard games makes him tough. I'll probably give it a go anyway, as it's only £6.99 on Steam (£7.99 on PSN).

Carrion looks a bit like Rainworld, which puts me off a bit, but I like the idea of hunting down terrified scientists.

Butcher is not bad! It reminds me a lot of an old PC/Mac game called Abuse, thanks to the control system where you move your man with WASD, and aim with the mouse. There are all sorts of influences in there - the way the enemies groan and shriek when they're down and injured reminds me of Cannon Fodder, the tiny sprites and mega brutality remind me of Walker and Lemmings, and the use of rotating sprites in the intro bits reminds me of various SNES games like Axelay. Beautifully grimy pixel art too, and some great use of parallax to imply a world beyond the one you're exploring.

It's a bit grim for my liking, given that you're eradicating the last humans alive in various unpleasant ways - I would have lapped this up as a bloodthirsty teenager, eager to experience the sickest, most gratuitously violent videogames on the market, but find it a bit much as a tired dad. But it's still pretty cool.

Butcher is a lot of fun, albeit quite repetitive. It's hard, fast, bloody, noisy and satisfying. I'd say, only slightly generously, that it's a 2D Doom. I've actually played more Butcher on the Switch than Doom, in fact.

"It's a Great Fit".

I also knew from just the YT thumbnail that this must be from the same devs. Same engine, surely. Looks equally good and it's at least an original take on the genre. 

Oh man, this is FUN. The controls are really good - it's all done with the mouse, so you just click on a wall to move to it, and hold down the right button to grab something and chuck it around / rip it up / eat it. And the visuals are lovely - it really sells the eighties SF feel. The little pixel art humans look like they've just been dropped off by the Weyland-Yutani corporate shuttle, with their beige work-ware, and it's very satisfying then you grab them, pull their legs off, chuck them into the air, and snatch them into your foul orifice as they drop down again, like some kind of cross between a cat and a crawling wound.

It's got that Riddick / Splinter Cell Conviction feeling of fragile lethality too, so that you're super-fast and super-deadly, but also very vulnerable if you make a mistake. Beautifully disgusting stuff, it's like Paul Verhoeven decided to play Exile after a long day, several glasses of wine and a course of malaria pills.

• Upvote 4

This was one of the most interesting E3 trailers I saw, so the sneak peek is welcome. Also, for a hideous tentacle blob the mouse movement is surprisingly intuitive. :)

The pixels, gore and grimy industrial setting almost remind me of Abuse in places :P 

This is great and hopefully it means the publisher is going to move towards demos relatively close to the initial reveal, nothing sells a game to me faster than a demo that I want to play more than once however good the trailer looks. As much as I love Devolver Digital I do think they announce some of the "small" indie games too far away from actual release, I really enjoyed My Friend Pedro but the game was never going to be able to fully live up to the hype that had steadily built up around it. 

This really is fun. The only thing stopping me from caning the demo is a weird bug whereby one sixth of the screen disappears whenever you die, and won't come back until you reboot. Lots of nice little touches, like the Oddworld-style scrolling message boards that purport to give advice to the human inhabitants of the base, but actually act as tutorial hints for you.

It would be great if there was some kind of palette-shift option for the monster you control, so that you could colour it brown and pretend Andrew Neill's wig is roaming a high-tech R&D installation, absorbing and consuming innocent humans.

• Upvote 5

On 28/10/2019 at 08:46, K said:

This really is fun. The only thing stopping me from caning the demo is a weird bug whereby one sixth of the screen disappears whenever you die, and won't come back until you reboot.

Give it another try, they've just patched it and I had no issues with the new build. It's great!

• Upvote 1

This is due for release pretty soon according to NintendoLife.  Hope the game lives up to the premise cos it looks sweet.

• Upvote 3

Playing this on the XB with GamePass. Its excellent! Really impressed with how they nailed the movement and overall feel of the creature. The sound work is equally great, giving a real Alien vibe. 

Could do with a map though although I suspect they thought it would detract from you being the monster.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, BubbleFish said:

Playing this on the XB with GamePass. Its excellent! Really impressed with how they nailed the movement and overall feel of the creature. The sound work is equally great, giving a real Alien vibe. 

Could do with a map though although I suspect they thought it would detract from you being the monster.

What's it like to control with a pad? I'm torn between getting it on Mac or Xbox.

10 minutes ago, K said:

What's it like to control with a pad? I'm torn between getting it on Mac or Xbox.

Once you start moving around it does a great job of just moving where you want it to go. I think thats part of the appeal for me; seeing this organic blob slither around but you always feel precisely in control. The only blip I had was when I first received an ability that needed a little more specific targeting (I'm trying to be vague so not to spoil things) Once I realised it was just the standard twin stick shooter approach I was fine.

• Upvote 1

This looks like a long lost Amiga game and therefore is completely essential.

How do I plug this into my Switch?

tankmouse3.jpg

• Upvote 1

I thought I'd take a look at their last title, Butcher, since it was mentioned here. It's only £2.39 on the UK XBox store just now.

£2.39 for Butcher is a bargain, it’s a solid game. 

• Upvote 1

This went up on the Xbox Game Pass at midnight this morning and it's pretty good! The movement of the monster is pretty sublime, but as you've got tentacles lashing all over the haul yourself about, I do sometimes struggle to see where I'm pointing my "eat people" tendril pretty often, but it's very possible that it's because I'm so new to it. I love the look of it overall, though - quite hard to tell exactly what you're supposed to be doing with yourself as there's no other monster briefing you, so so far it's about exploration and messing about.

Just released on switch and a 15 min lunchtime blast reveals it to be pretty glorious.

If you’ve watched the trailers and thought “I’ll have me some of that” then you won’t be disappointed.

The screams of the humans when you smash down a door, drag them towards you with a fleshy pseudopod and then eat their legs out from under them are surprisingly harrowing. Obviously I'm RPing the monster, so I'm pretending that I have no concept of their suffering, and that they are simple creatures, incapable of feeling pain.

• Upvote 3

I am RPing the monster as one that takes great pleasure in enacting savage and brutal revenge for locking me up in a jar*. And also is quite peckish.

*That's not a spoiler, that is the first thing you see.

Although it does nothing to improve your health, I'm taking great delight in going back and making sure I chomp down on the discarded lower half of the bodies. Leave no trace.

• Upvote 2

Also on the eShop from today!

Very tempted...

2 minutes ago, Popo said:

Also on the eShop from today!

Very tempted...

You can growl from one vent to make the guards point their guns at it before sneaking s tendril out the other vent, grab a guard and use him to beat the other guard to death if that influences your decision at all.

• Upvote 4