Rogue Leader

Guest Penguin_Lad

• 2 years later...

I've been replaying these two recently, and regardless of how much I try, I still have trouble playing them, as they don't have an X-Wing-esque targeting system.

I also find the medals, and the system used to get them, stupid. Rating a player's accuracy in a game where you have infinite ammo? Limiting how long you can use (the admittedly crap) targeting computer? And the radar is far too low res to be of real use for finding tie's around you.

I'm a big Star Wars fan, and I played the original Rogue Squadron, and levelled similar complaints at it. However, in these games it at times really gets to me. I also agree with all the above complaints that the on-foot sections are absolutely dire. If they were going to put them in the game, they should have been shorter, and piss-easy (so as not to be frustrating, the Yoda mission springs to mind).

I also find the medals, and the system used to get them, stupid. Rating a player's accuracy in a game where you have infinite ammo? Limiting how long you can use (the admittedly crap) targeting computer? And the radar is far too low res to be of real use for finding tie's around you.

I don't get this. I think the medals criteria are fine. If you had limited ammo, then an accuracy requirement would be stupid. It's precisely because ammo's unlimited that it makes sense. And the targeting computer requirement is usually dead easy, it just stops people using it all the time. And there's nothing wrong with the radar, it gives you a general idea of where enemies are, which is all it's supposed to do.

I don't get this. I think the medals criteria are fine. If you had limited ammo, then an accuracy requirement would be stupid. It's precisely because ammo's unlimited that it makes sense. And the targeting computer requirement is usually dead easy, it just stops people using it all the time. And there's nothing wrong with the radar, it gives you a general idea of where enemies are, which is all it's supposed to do.

I dunno. I'd just prefer more, harder to hit enemies and a permanent target system, as opposed to giving me one, but telling me I can only use it "a little bit".

Also, the controls in space were a bit iffy... centred Y-axis - in space? Yeah alright then.

My sentiments exactly. This and MonkeyBall were my first introductions to this generation of gaming, and I was suitably blown away. However, in the run-up to the day I bought my cube, I was having a 'final farewell' to my PS1, and hammering Colony Wars: Vengeance (one of my all-time favorite games), and the controls in that were far superior to RL's. You could properly twirl, and loup-de-loup, etc.

Coming straight from that into RL, the X-wing felt very unwieldy. Still, I forgave that for the rest of the brilliance in the game. Especially when I realised that the Tatooine training level looked different at different times of day! Dusk looked beautiful, and the stars in the sky at night were lovely too.

But yes, Battle for Endor is a truly awesome spectacle the first time you play it. I also can't believe how many TIEs and the like they throw around without any slowdown.

I might have to dig this out again soon ;)

Got this out when I bought my projector. Oh. My. God.

Stupendous, isn't it. The Battle for Endor and the Hoth level are just incredible on a massive screen in PS.

Anyone know what Factor 5 are working on now? I think they switched to developing to the PS3 didn't they?

Lair. Big dragons. Same kinda gameplay by the looks of it.

I was working at Gamestation when Rogue Leader came out, on the GC launch. We sold out, and within 2 weeks had them all traded back in. It was the first GC title to be a fiver second hand, within 6 weeks of release.

I was working at Gamestation when Rogue Leader came out, on the GC launch. We sold out, and within 2 weeks had them all traded back in. It was the first GC title to be a fiver second hand, within 6 weeks of release.

So your point is the general public are complete fucktards.

I love the Star Warsness of Rogue Leader. But if all the recognisable locations and ships were replaced with a (non-Star Wars related) new set of designs and lore to follow then I wouldn't give it the time of day. If you see what I mean.

Death Star runs and Hoth battles are ace, but when I don't feel like I'm actually re-enacting the film (ie. a lot of the other missions), I don't really enjoy it. Usually I'm not so shallow, but I can't help it with this game!

Yes, that's a really good point actually Jim of two years ago.

I loved the game. It was great for an old Star Wars geek like myself. I must have replayed the Hoth and Endor levels to death. In fact just reading through this thread makes me want to go gig it out and play it again, sadly I'm in work. :P