The Division 2

1 hour ago, KartoffelKopf said:

For £8 you've got an excellent campaign and a stack of fun even if you don't want to do all the grinding and endgame stuff. 

I stopped playing about a month in to WoNY because of the sheer amount of bullshit deaths I was having every time I played and the terrible bugs to so many of gear pieces and skills, was making it so hard to enjoy. My Bakers Dozen build was getting old and my explosive skill build felt weak sauce. 

TU 9.1 and 10 really seem to have sorted most of this though. The PTS for TU10 looks like it's introducing some great new brand sets and the exotics look great. Shame the new exotics seem to mostly be behind the raid, getting 8 people together is literally impossible. Never even managed to get myself an Eagle Bearer. 

TU10 Tank builds and full skill builds look mostly viable now and you can finally feel powerful again. WoNY campaign was great but in Heroic missions I just felt like a squishy idiot getting one-shotted by some dickhead in a leather waistcoat instead of the gadget-heavy super agent I was supposed to be. I was even getting downed by a guy with a metal pipe. 

I'll definitely be back for TU10 to finish the manhunt and try out the new skills etc. The shooting mechanics and atmosphere of the world are the best out there I think at least as far looter shooters go. 

Destiny will need to really pull something together for their September release to make me go back to it and I have just finished the Borderlands campaign which was fun but traversing the world just seems to be a bit of a chore. 

I'm on 1X though so may hit you up for some coop if that's OK. I'm in an active clan but seems to be a bit cliquey for the higher end stuff. 

That’s rough dude, I run the worlds squishiest crit build with unbreakable on my chest piece and never die. I even have 2 skill tiers to stop my drone and firefly being worthless. What’s your damage output like? I can generally mow down people on solo Heroics before they have a chance to rush me, although the Hyena with the Tec-9 held sideways is a huge dick and usually strips my shield down from 10 miles away in one shot

PS this isn’t a git gud post - I’m not that good

:lol:

.and I'm not that bad. My red build was pretty tasty but it wasn't so much that I was dying all the time more things like the inch perfect precision grenade from 50 yards away when ours couldn't reach that far, the rushing elite bullet sponges and, best of all,  the rogue agents with every skill active all with zero cool down just felt cheap to me.  I did most in a team of 4 and the skill of other players was very inconsistent. 

Think I stopped when DARPA was the manhunt and it was just barmy how hard it was unless you had a very specific status effect load out. 

I need to revisit and see what TU 9.1 did as it calmed a lot of that shit down apparently.

16 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

It's amazing and I love it. It can get a little repetitive, but I struggle to think of a game that does shooting the computer people better.

See, I enjoy The Division games, the sequel in particular but for me the illusion of shooting greatness is somewhat muffled by the bullet spongy nature of the realistic looking setting. While the game has been balanced for the better since release, it's still very frustrating to meet a wave of ordinary looking men that can take three full clips from a powerful weapon to the head/chest area and still live to kick your ass with a couple of shots. To get the feeling of shooting done right, I'd personally look elsewhere. 

• Upvote 1

If you are using good gear against appropriate levels, most ordinary baddies drop with one satisfyingly splatty headshot from a bolt action. Sure, boss encounters do magically become bullet sponges, but they are not the significant proportion of the game.

I just like the feel of the game. It's incredibly smooth and responsive,  and the gun sounds, recoil and accuracy all just feel right. It's a very satisfying shooting experience imo. 

• Upvote 1
59 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

If you are using good gear against appropriate levels, most ordinary baddies drop with one satisfyingly splatty headshot from a bolt action. Sure, boss encounters do magically become bullet sponges, but they are not the significant proportion of the game.

I just like the feel of the game. It's incredibly smooth and responsive,  and the gun sounds, recoil and accuracy all just feel right. It's a very satisfying shooting experience imo. 

I was not saying you were wrong, I know a lot of people who prefer the shooting in The Division 2 over most other games. It's probably me who's a simpleton when my mind expects realistic behaviour in realistic looking games :lol: 

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

I've really got back into this after only putting a few hours in at launch. Even though there's not much difference to Division 1 it's such a satisfying gameplay loop. The environments are really creative this time round, though. A mindboggling amount of work must've gone in to create spaces with so much detail. I really like all the stuff to do while just wandering about - control points, attacking supply convoys, rescuing hostages etc. Those are my favourite ways to level up between main mission - just freewheeling between waypoints doing good (by killing lots of people).

I'm only lvl 27 so not at the endgame, but I have a couple of questions:

I keep picking up offensive/defensive mods with different levels attached but I can't work out what to do with them. I understand that gadgets can have mods attached and weapons can have attachments, but what are these generic offensive and defensive ones? None of my armour has any mod slots.

It looks like side-missions are the way to get weapon attachments. Is there a way to tell exactly what an attachment will do before I go and do the side mission to get it? e.g if I want an attachment that will increase ROF for a handgun (if such a thing even exists) - how would I work out where I get it?

25 minutes ago, Pob said:

I keep picking up offensive/defensive mods with different levels attached but I can't work out what to do with them. I understand that gadgets can have mods attached and weapons can have attachments, but what are these generic offensive and defensive ones? None of my armour has any mod slots.

As you've basically second guessed, they slot into armour - armour (as of the last time I played a few months back) has Red, Yellow and Blue slots for Offensive, Utility and Defensive mods. It's odd that it's dropping you mods with nothing to slot them into, but that'll change. When the time comes, you can just experiment away - unlike most games, Armour mods can be pulled back out of gear with no consequence.

25 minutes ago, Pob said:

It looks like side-missions are the way to get weapon attachments. Is there a way to tell exactly what an attachment will do before I go and do the side mission to get it? e.g if I want an attachment that will increase ROF for a handgun (if such a thing even exists) - how would I work out where I get it?

The ones you get from missions are the bread and butter ones - so you'll want all of those. I don't think there's a way to tell what you're getting before you get them unless it says so on the map screen when you're selecting the mission. After that, there are a zillion weapon attachments which do all sorts of things, and their acquisition becomes purely random through various events and tackling fortified points around the map at a higher difficulty. It's a bit of a grind if I'm honest, but because the combat is so much fun it isn't too bad. I don't think I really even thought about attachments as I was playing through the first time, but I'm sure there will be wikis out there now which will give you a full listing of what's available.

• Upvote 2

Well behind on this but finished the WONY campaign off this week, been playing once a week (Xbox)  for years with friends so its been slow but fun progress, really enjoyed the DLC story and missions, slightly overwelmed with "all the things" to do now :) 

I'm doing a zero death survival run and am up to about level 12. It's getting incredibly nervy now knowing that just one cock up will mean permadeath.

For all the hate Ubi get for their games (their recent controversies being a separate issue) this is one of my favourites of this generation for absolute sure.

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I'm doing a zero death survival run and am up to about level 12. It's getting incredibly nervy now knowing that just one cock up will mean permadeath.

For all the hate Ubi get for their games (their recent controversies being a separate issue) this is one of my favourites of this generation for absolute sure.

I love just wandering around in this, admiring the environmental effects and all the little details and stories told by your surroundings if you stop looking at stats and gear and murdering for a while.
Game plays great still, totally loving it again right now.

This series seems like one that will benefit a lot from a next-gen sequel utilising the SSD. Being able to move more quickly (i.e vehicles), being able to get up high above the city (helicopters, rooftops, top-floor skyscraper interiors) and not having to split areas up with obvious loading corridors.

The detail for an open world is astounding but there are clearly lots of techniques to allow all that data to stream in on time.

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Len said:

Back to NY in the Winter please if they do! 

I'd love them to stitch together all the NYC stuff so far and fill in any gaps to make it contiguous, so there is a map large enough to make vehicles and choppers worthwhile (though Battlefield maps integrate vehicles well enough), and also implement seasons to reflect the fact that it's a live service game. They must have enough asset work on the games so far so make this a possibility.

I'd love to be a Blackhawk pilot pulling people out of the DZ while flying low between skyscrapers to avoid AA fire!

• Upvote 2

Yes please. just expand it to the whole five boros. Well , maybe not Staten island. ;) 

I enjoyed DC but nothing beat that iconic, desolate and spooky NYC in the snow they created. 

Yeah I was hoping Winter settings would end up being Division's 'thing', after it worked so well in New York. The Division 2 does look great, there's some really imaginative areas, but there's something a bit "seen it all before" about an overgrown post-apocalyptic city. The Winter setting felt fresh and unique, although I understand it's probably a bit limiting.

Basically I'm saying I want the next Division to do a Forza Horizon 4. Next-gen leaf physics during Fall, yo.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Hitcher said:

@Pob Level 3 or 4 Control Points are the best way to get blueprints.

Furthermore, most blueprints will drop from Lvl 3, so only do Lvl 3 until you run out of blueprints. Then start doing Lvl 4 to get the Lvl 4 exclusive ones. That way you won’t be spending a year getting a blueprint on a 4 you could have gotten on a 3, as LVL 4 contains the whole blueprint pool and is an order of magnitude of difficulty harder

what a messy post. Oh well

• Upvote 1