Jump to content
IGNORED

Taiko No Tatsujin: Drum ‘N’ Fun! - Out now!! (avoid the PS4 drum controller)


Keyboard Koala
 Share

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, Popo said:

Wait a minute, the £90 bundle only comes with one drum? Oh my gosh! 

 

Tbh, I think that's reasonable. £40 for the game £50 for the drum. pretty standard price for a peripheral controller imo. ok, maybe a tad on the high side, but not extraordinarily so.

 

SSBU with extra controller and multiplayer adapter is £85 as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bushtopher said:

I caved and bought this from Argos today. So much fun! My kids are going to go wild for it when they see it 

 

Yeah, that was one of the reasons I got it as well, and even went the extra mile for an extra drum controller. Looks like tons of fun with kids. Until they complain it's too hard, or not like Fortnite at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d like to get the drum controller for this but I’d want to be able to use it on both switch and PS4. Apparently you can use a usb controller bridge (like Coov n100+k4) to make it work perfectly but then there are reports the PS4 drum is a bit rubbish. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The mod involves hole-punching lots of 1mm thick circles in a sheet of rubber and using them to fill in similarly shaped cutouts in the sensor layer - plus replacing the foam underlay with something that has less give to it.

 

Not very daunting, and it does seem effective. I'd love to see inside the Switch one to know what changes were made to the design.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

15 hours ago, Popo said:

Wait a minute, the £90 bundle only comes with one drum? Oh my gosh! :doh:

 

I was going to make a joke, but I thought a bit more and given the Switch version is especially geared for multiplayer this does seem a bit off that this is no two drum version. Drummer against button player is going to be totally off. (And kind of ironic that the PS4 version is more geared to single player yet has a shit drum).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, merrychan said:

Do 2 sets of drum controllers work with the switch version? Are they USB wired to the dock? I've ordered the bundle but got delivered while I was away (hyper sad face)

I have two as I wanted to play with my partner and they work fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DarkCrisis said:

I have two as I wanted to play with my partner and they work fine.

Where did you get the other one from? I couldn't find a stand alone official one for sale in the UK, just some third party ones and then the official one from Japan shops.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, merrychan said:

Where did you get the other one from? I couldn't find a stand alone official one for sale in the UK, just some third party ones and then the official one from Japan shops.

Brought two of the drum and game set as partner getting Switch when Animal Crossing comes out so it's essential her copy 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I downloaded the demo and I can see how great it would be with the drum kit. Unfortunately the joycon method is pants.

 

The main thing that puts me off is the basic price of the game is high and they’ve already released a mass of songs to buy and they aren’t all cheap. I reckon this could end up VERY expensive

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On an impulse I bought the Japanese version of this while in Japan last week. Me and my GF had played the arcade version in Akihabara and she really enjoyed it, so we gave it a go. I'm actually annoyed that the joy cons aren't good enough, I thought motion sensor and rumble should be decent enough for an experience now?

 

Seems like not, haven't played it yet (I only just got a switch, and i'm forbidding myself to open it just yet). I didn't want to have to buy the drums just for this version, as I'd feel obliged to buy two, and dropping another £100 on this game feels like a lot. 

 

When you say the Joycon method "is pants"...how so? Unresponsive? or just loses the mood of the game? I guess all the drum is just hitting joypad buttons with a stick, and thus the fun has indeed gone. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, cowfields said:

When you say the Joycon method "is pants"...how so? Unresponsive? or just loses the mood of the game? I guess all the drum is just hitting joypad buttons with a stick, and thus the fun has indeed gone. 

 

 

 

It just doesn't register your swings right. Sometimes it fires off on an upswing. And you have to do a weird diagonal swing to do the blue drum type, and it is very easy to do wrong. You could probably train yourself to do it 'right' well enough for easy mode, but I don't see anything more difficult than that being possible.

I would say, I don't think playing it with buttons is a total deal-breaker, and I have heard good things about touch screen control.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I spent the last two evenings attempting to get the PS4 tatacon into a workable state so my daughter's xmas won't be a crushing disappointment. I used a web-based controller testing website. First time plugging it in out of the box I thought there was a problem with the website, as no inputs were showing at all. Turns out the website was fine, that's just how poorly the tatacon detects hits! The face buttons all worked perfectly, but I only got the slightest flicker of a response when I was really battering the drum. So it needed the mod for sure.

 

The biggest faff with the whole process was detaching the rubber cover - it has little hooks that have to really be stretched to unclip or reattach them - it took such effort that I accidentally pulled out the 3 little ribbon cable thingies attaching the sensor plate to the base. Thankfully they were easily plugged back in.

 

So I swapped the foam filling for a 1cm thick pinboard section cut to the same shape, filled 90% of the holes in the sensor cushion with hole-punched discs from a 1.5mm thick EVA foam sheet, and put a single layer of post-it note stickies over the rim sensors.

 

It now registers every hit on the surface of the drum perfectly, even if I am quite gentle. The rim hits won't register for slight taps, but normal hits do show up perfectly - probably it could use a second layer of post-its to increase sensitivity, but I don't think it's worth going through the hassle of detaching the rubber cover again.  Most people will naturally put a bit of force into hitting it, so it should work fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, cowfields said:

On an impulse I bought the Japanese version of this while in Japan last week. Me and my GF had played the arcade version in Akihabara and she really enjoyed it, so we gave it a go. I'm actually annoyed that the joy cons aren't good enough, I thought motion sensor and rumble should be decent enough for an experience now?

 

Seems like not, haven't played it yet (I only just got a switch, and i'm forbidding myself to open it just yet). I didn't want to have to buy the drums just for this version, as I'd feel obliged to buy two, and dropping another £100 on this game feels like a lot. 

 

When you say the Joycon method "is pants"...how so? Unresponsive? or just loses the mood of the game? I guess all the drum is just hitting joypad buttons with a stick, and thus the fun has indeed gone. 

 

Using the joycons is just an exercise in frustration. It doesn't register the swings right and often misses movement entirely. At least that's my experience. Using buttons is obviously accurate and still entertaining but I can't see me (or the family) playing it for long that way, it just feels like we are missing most of the 'experience' that is the point of the game.

 

Edit: What SozzlyJoe said!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, g wings said:

 

Using the joycons is just an exercise in frustration. It doesn't register the swings right and often misses movement entirely. At least that's my experience. Using buttons is obviously accurate and still entertaining but I can't see me (or the family) playing it for long that way, it just feels like we are missing most of the 'experience' that is the point of the game.

 

Edit: What SozzlyJoe said!

Wonder if tapping the joycons on a shoe box or something would be better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

As much as I love this, it's causing too many arguments with my two kids so I'm going to sell it for now I think 

 

Will be putting it up in trading if anyone is interested (Switch version with the drum).  

 

Surely you could solve this more diplomatic? Selling it sounds quite drastic...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of them loves it and the other hates it. It just causes too many arguments that I could do without - combined with the fact that I don’t play it when they’re in bed as my daughters room is next to our lounge and I worry about waking her up. 

 

(also, I’ve just upgraded to the PSVR v2 headset so the money is needed!) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, my second drum controller arrived from Japan today - and I didn't even get stung by customs; yay!

 

Must 've been since Steel Battalion that I paid this much for a single game. Can't wait to set the whole thing up come Christmas.

 

 

... and I think it's safe to say the drum controller does allow for precise high level drumming:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Well, my second drum controller arrived from Japan today - and I didn't even get stung by customs; yay!

 

Must 've been since Steel Battalion that I paid this much for a single game. Can't wait to set the whole thing up come Christmas.

 

 

... and I think it's safe to say the drum controller does allow for precise high level drumming:

 

 

That video is completely masterful, I think I'm going to have to build up from beginner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

One of them loves it and the other hates it. It just causes too many arguments that I could do without - combined with the fact that I don’t play it when they’re in bed as my daughters room is next to our lounge and I worry about waking her up. 

 

(also, I’ve just upgraded to the PSVR v2 headset so the money is needed!) 

 

Are you sure you’re not sowing the seeds of resentment here?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had made one of those weird self imposed rules people make that I’d wait until Christmas for this. But it was rainy outside so what was I supposed to do with my Sunday?!

 

Love it after a little play around — would be playing it now if it weren’t for concern about banging away as it gets later. 

 

Struggling with calibration on the switch though — any tips? Game mode on but it still doesn’t feel quite right, and fiddling with the numbers hasn’t got me far. 

 

What does the HD Rumble calibration thing do?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.