rllmuk
MattyP

Currently playing...

I’m playing my way through the ridge racers currently. Type 4 still has the best music and feel so far in terms of getting into the ‘flow’ with tunes banging while drifting, with the 3DS version also being unexpectedly and surprisingly good. Also checked out unbounded on ps3 (and promptly put it in the to sell pile), found an old copy of 7 for ps3 that I own, and it’s technically great in aesthetic, resolution and frame rate but lacking some soul.

Next step is to get back into rage racer (the one I played far too much in my uni days) and figure out whether I can download the psp version to a vita tv via ps3 as my psp umd drive broke a long time ago. By memory it’s a great version. so, in order of preference so far:

1. Type 4 via PS3 on the big screen or vita

2. 3DS version - what a surprise package

3. RR7 or the PSP version

it’s about time for a greatest hits / HD remaster for the series.

• Upvote 2

Mega Man X2.

I love/hate this series (MM in general) and I love/hate this game. For all the trial and error bits, enemies respawning and overall cheapness the feeling of actually getting good at a level and beating a boss is up there with Dark Souls or something. This is the first one I've ever played determined to discover all the weaknesses and secrets myself and it's taking absolutely forever as a result but it's definitely the way to go.

I bought this collection last summer incidentally with a view to completing it before I started the Zero collection which got dispatched from Amazon last week. This is why I have a backlog :D

• Upvote 1

Started back up my old GBA Golden Sun save file to finally finish it, great game and I love Camelot's work. Just reached Xian having saved Trent and I've been playing on the GBA player using the GBA interface software, which is far better software than the official software makes the experience 100 times better. Might do the sequel straight after not sure I'll do the third on DS, but maybe I'll do the trilogy in one go.

Yoshi's Island on the SNES (mini). Equal amounts joyous, charming fun... and horrible, frustrating, annoyance! :lol:

I'm pretty sure I got most of the collectibles on the GBA - but no chance I'll bother doing that again!

Fabulous art design, solid mechanics and incredibly impressive bosses. Bags of imagination and whimsy throughout, with each level offering something new or interesting. Touch fuzzy! :D

• Upvote 1

About an hour or so into Final Fantasy Adventure or Sword of Mana on the original Gameboy (playing collection of mana on the Switch)

Having been a big fan of Secret of Mana on the SNES I was keen to see the origins of the series.

Reading up it’s generally considered in high regard and a classic action/adventure on the system, but I’m not really seeing it right now. Compared to something like Link’s Awakening, it’s pretty rough.

Firstly the enemy movement and general hit boxes are awful. They can also move through some of the environment like its it’s not there. Couple that with the random location when you transition the screen and you can literally be hit the instant you change.

You have doors that don’t need a key to open and doors that do. When you do need to use a key you need to select it from your items, it’s not automatic. This confused me massively at the start as I picked up a key and walked through a closed door, so I assumed I used the key. I then got to another door and it told me it was locked so I spent 20 mins wandering around looking for a key, which was basically in my inventory the whole time.

Conversely speaking to NPCs IS automatic. This is hella annoying as depending on where the NPC stands/moves on screen you find yourself constantly speaking to them when all you want to do is get past them.

You also seem to be constantly forced into the menu to change items as you need a axe to destroy this, the sickle to destroy that, the magic to kill this enemy type, the key to open doors, it all just breaks up the flow.

You also die very quickly. certain enemies hit you a couple of times and it’s game over, it’s crazy. I’ve started using the save states to get me through as I’m just not into it enough right now.

On the plus side it’s cool to see enemy types and merchants that are a staple to the series.

• Upvote 2

I've been playing that myself (Collection of Mana on Switch) and feel exactly the same way. It's hard to play when I have the third one just sitting there equally unplayed in all it's 16-bit beauty so I think the hour or so I've put in is probably as much as I'll see. Definitely interesting though, and probably really good at the time.

Project Gotham Racing 4....

I guess the Xbox 360 is now classed as a retro console?!

• Upvote 2

Super Mario RPG. It's a cute little precursor to the Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario games. Turn-based with timed attacks, but isometric and pre-rendered, in the style that was popular in 1996 (see also: Sonic 3D).

Sadly, it's not much of a looker - the character graphics lack charm, while the backgrounds are repetitive. The music ain't great either. I can't help but think Squaresoft was phoning it in for their final contracted SNES game while working on epic PS1 shit...?

Only a couple of hours in and not sure if I'll continue. :unsure:

• Upvote 1

Famicom. DK Jr and Popeye.

I have a fair bit of early Nintendo, still enjoy these simple beauties x

IMG_20200323_223142.jpg

• Upvote 3

On 23/03/2020 at 09:55, Sprite Machine said:

The music ain't great either.

Ban request.

Seriously, though, I can understand this point of view. Pre-rendered graphics from 1996 definitely looked better on CRT TVs, and the game is a bit too whimsical in 2020. I really can’t agree that it seems that they were phoning it in, but I can imagine that the Mario IP and the concept behind the game really restricted them. A lot of the staff went on to work on the Mario & Luigi games, IIRC, and I think that they had a better grasp of how to make a game with Mario.

Still—Yoko Shimomura!

• Upvote 1

Playing Mr. Driller Drill Land on my PAL Gamecube, thanks to the awesome power of the program Swiss, you can now get the game to save and show the Japanese text correctly even on a PAL Cube.

Only downside if you format the GC memory card to the required Japanese format, The PAL Gamecube can't read and will just say it needs formatting. Fortunately Swiss can read and edit GC memory card in all formats, but does mean that card can only have Japanese games on it and you can't use the Gamecube manager, you'll have to do it via Swiss.

• Upvote 1

I remember getting caught out by that when I was importing Japanese games for my PAL Cube and didn't know what the message said - formatted my entire card just to play Winning Eleven 6 :lol: Jeez that seems so long ago.

I am playing Trials of Mana on Switch and enjoying it quite a bit, more so than I did Secret of Mana for sure. Also getting a hankering to play one of the old Super Famicom Fire Emblem games since they're all available in English these days but I'm terrified of their reputations and keep making excuses not to start...

• Upvote 1

Circus Charlie. Famicom.

I'd love the arcade board. But.  I'm currently saving for a Nintendo switch.

Once that is out the way...this board comes up...I've seen it a few times on eBay and arcade forums.

Great game. Fire it up emulation/everdrive guys if you haven't before.

IMG_20200329_184322.jpg

IMG_20200329_184240.jpg

IMG_20200329_184256.jpg

IMG_20200329_184223.jpg

IMG_20200329_184233.jpg

• Upvote 2

I’m trying to play through The Legend of Zelda for the 10th time. My first Zelda was LTTP. 

This time I’m playing armed with a the manual and map that came with the game, so I at least have a rough idea where the first few dungeons are to augment the vague hints NPCs give. Oh it’s East, is it??

Liking it so far. It’s basic, obviously, but the combat and dungeons are fun. 

This time might be the time!!

• Upvote 1

On 24/03/2020 at 02:22, DeDeDe said:

Ban request.

Seriously, though, I can understand this point of view. Pre-rendered graphics from 1996 definitely looked better on CRT TVs, and the game is a bit too whimsical in 2020. I really can’t agree that it seems that they were phoning it in, but I can imagine that the Mario IP and the concept behind the game really restricted them. A lot of the staff went on to work on the Mario & Luigi games, IIRC, and I think that they had a better grasp of how to make a game with Mario.

Still—Yoko Shimomura!

I have to say, MarioRPG is growing on me. It has a certain charm and the pacing is lovely and swift.

• Upvote 2

I've owned Kirby's Dream Course for several years (I think it was the Game Center CX episode that sold me) and every now and again I become thoroughly smitten with it - with now one of those times. What a game. So unfair at times with the difficulty curve on a single course all over the place but somehow impossible to get angry with.

• Upvote 3

Super Mario Bros on the NES mini.

Simply lovely and I am determined to complete it this time..... :D

• Upvote 1

Spent the last few days helping test a new C64 game, The Isle of the Cursed Prophet...

• Upvote 1

On 23/03/2020 at 00:55, Sprite Machine said:

Super Mario RPG. It's a cute little precursor to the Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario games. Turn-based with timed attacks, but isometric and pre-rendered, in the style that was popular in 1996 (see also: Sonic 3D).

Sadly, it's not much of a looker - the character graphics lack charm, while the backgrounds are repetitive. The music ain't great either. I can't help but think Squaresoft was phoning it in for their final contracted SNES game while working on epic PS1 shit...?

Only a couple of hours in and not sure if I'll continue. :unsure:

On 31/03/2020 at 00:31, Sprite Machine said:

I have to say, MarioRPG is growing on me. It has a certain charm and the pacing is lovely and swift.

This turned itself around quite nicely by the end. Very enjoyable on the whole. Short, too! By RPG standards, 16 hours is very slender. :)

I have no idea how you could possibly complete it without using Toadstool (Peach) in your line-up. Her group healing  status-removing abilities are absolutely vital by the end!

• Upvote 3

Glad you came around in the end, that sounds exactly like my experience with it a couple of years back on the SNES Classic. I hope Nintendo put it on the Switch service at some point. I get why a lot of third-party games aren't there now with all the retro collections in the eShop the publishers don't want to canilbalise sales of but mon tae fuck Nintendo - Mario RPG and Earthbound at a minimum.

On 29/03/2020 at 18:49, RastanSaga said:

Circus Charlie. Famicom.

I'd love the arcade board. But.  I'm currently saving for a Nintendo switch.

Once that is out the way...this board comes up...I've seen it a few times on eBay and arcade forums.

Great game. Fire it up emulation/everdrive guys if you haven't before.

IMG_20200329_184322.jpg

IMG_20200329_184240.jpg

IMG_20200329_184256.jpg

IMG_20200329_184223.jpg

IMG_20200329_184233.jpg

Stage 5 is frustrating for the wrong reasons.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Camel said:

Stage 5 is frustrating for the wrong reasons.

A practice mode sure would of been welcomed.

The arcade game plays different, you can select stage and it has to be finished multiple times.

I don't like 5 that much!

The rope swinging just doesn't work that well. Shame because the rest of the game is ace. Reminds me of Athletic Land in that it's just a game of timed jumps, but somehow loads of fun. 

• Upvote 2

Had a bit of a Master System fest on the Mega SG. Started off with Wonderboy in Monster World, an old favourite that I’ve never been great at. Inadvertently read all about it on StrategyWiki earlier, so I thought I’d put that into use. Never realised you could buy new health potions from some shops!

Was going great guns until the game glitched in the pyramid, sending me into a room of garbled sprite data before spitting me out through a wall next to the boss room. Problem is that the pyramid boss (sphynx) is an utter bastard who you’re not really supposed to fight, but solve its riddle by buying info from a barman. But due to the glitch, I couldn’t get to the bar, and the sphynx battered me.

Feel like I’ve got a better idea of when to buy what upgrades though, so despite the sour ending, I think I’ll return.

Also had a quick poot on Fantasy Zone (still great), Paperboy (looks and moves well, but the game just doesn’t work without a portrait screen), Final Bubble Bobble (great port!) and the original Wonderboy (another best in class port). What a little powerhouse of a system. 

• Upvote 1

Still playing The Legend of Zelda, but decided last night to finish Soul Blazer after a pretty long hiatus. It's a weird game, but I loved it all the same. 

Last boss took me about an hour to figure out how to do without dying!

IMG_4841.thumb.jpeg.597a2f59246559086151c416d27d625d.jpegIMG_4842.thumb.jpeg.b13765afa99fb50a912a5ca8174890e7.jpeg

• Upvote 3

I've started playing Earthbound for the first time. I kinda expected a cutesy JRPG - I did not expect a creepy horror themed game that reminds me more of Maniac Mansion of all things. Also the sound design is incredible.

It's pretty hard, too. I think I like it. :blush: