rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Professor Rob

Rllmuk goes to Alabama

@LaParka

@SimonC

@MalevolentPanda

We're now set up and ready to go. Hope this works OK.

To get up and running:

1. Download Rails from https://sourceforge.net/projects/rails/files/Rails/2.0/

2. Run the file rails-2.0.RC3.jar

3. Click Load Game

5aaa9360bb4e3_ScreenShot2018-03-15at14_56_33.png.187d6ebbc68e37778cf0c2e1525216d7.png

4. Select the file 18AL_20180315_1517_LaParka.rails from the Dropbox folder.  Save files have the name of the next player appended, so the most recent file should always indicate whose turn it is. Initial turn order was randomised, and is LaParka -> ProfessorRob -> MalevolentPanda -> SimonC. First player is LaParka, so the file is named accordingly.

5aaa913e2333a_ScreenShot2018-03-15at15_21_37.png.6808686c85284e334b4e27f28828c34a.png

5. You only ever really need to load the save file when it's your turn, ie. the most recent file has your name on it. Save files contain the entire game history, so you don't need to load it during other people's turns.

6. After taking your turn, save the file back to the Dropbox folder using File -> Save in the Game Status window, ready for the next player to load it and take their turn. It should append the name of the next player.

5aaa94315734e_ScreenShot2018-03-15at15_35_29.png.9d4b77dbe8e196a6fae100f52a8f1fdf.png

7. Post the log of your turn to this topic, along with a heads-up to the next player.

Starting out:

The initial Stock Round consists of auctioning off the Private Companies. These are small companies that are wholly owned by a player or Corporation, which give their owners a dividend and/or special ability during Operating Rounds.

These are:

Tuscumbia Railway: Gives a $5 dividend.

South & North Alabama RR: Gives a $10 dividend, and gives the owner two Coalfield tokens. These can be placed on certain hexes on the map and grant extra revenue when running trains to those hexes.

Brown & Sons Lumber Co: Gives a $15 divided and allows the owner to place the Lumber Terminal track tile.

Memphis & Charleston RR: Gives a $20 revenue, and grants the owner the ability to name two of their trains to get extra revenue when these trains run to certain cities.

New Decatur Yards: Gives a $20 revenue, and allows the owner to purchase a new train at half price (but consequently closing the Company)

More info on the Private Companies is in Table III of the rules.

When it's your turn, you can either buy the cheapest available Private Company outright (for the Par price), or place a bid on one of the other companies. Buying the cheapest outright will trigger an auction for the next cheapest, between all the players who have already placed a bid on it. Once that auction has been resolved, the next cheapest one is auctioned (again, between the players who have bid on it), and so on. If a company has only one bidder, that player gets it for the amount they bid. More info in Section 3.1 of the rules.

So, it's @LaParka's turn, and his choices are:

1. Buy Tuscumbia for $20. This will not trigger any auctions, as no other bids exist on the other companies yet.

2. Place a bid on one of the others, to get "a seat at the table" when it's auctioned.

5aaa949f722d1_ScreenShot2018-03-15at15_43_15.png.c56cda4e3cf379fddf5f16767ed8e5d0.png

I'd like to stress once again that we're all learning this, so discussion is encouraged. 

• Upvote 3

Phew I’m last and don’t have to worry about messing my game up just yet.

Rob, would you mind linking the rules in this thread? I’m sure we’ll all need to refer to them!

I want to be able to bid on S&NA, so I have to set aside $45 to be able to participate in that potential auction? 

I'm passing on Tusc. 

If that's correct I'll load up the file and do the following:

Bid $45 S&NA

(exciting!) 

For the sake of completeness:

(**)Game is 18AL.
Player 1 is LaParka.
Player 2 is Professor Rob.
Player 3 is MalevolentPanda.
Player 4 is SimonC.
Each player receives $500 from the Bank.
The Bank has $6000.
Start of phase 2.
Bank size is $6000

================
Start of initial round
================
LaParka has the Priority Deal     

Professor Rob bids $75 on B&SLC. Remaining free cash $425.

->  @MalevolentPanda

Spoiler

MalevolentPanda's options are:

1. Buy Tuscumbia for $20. This would give LaParka S&NA for $20, and me B&SLC for for $75, as we're the only bidders on those two companies.

2. Place a bid on one of the others, at the minimum bid price.

Hello. Sorry I've been a bit tardy everyone. I've had a stupid busy week at work, and I'm working this weekend. And I've started seeing a girl which is consuming most of my spare time. Obviously I'm not suggesting that playing 18XX with you is less important than her, but well, you know. ;)

I'm on it now. No idea what I'm doing, obviously. Just installing Rails.

Looks OK to me!

Does anyone know roughly how much it costs to purchase a train? I'm trying to work out if it's worth placing a bid on NDY or not.

'2' Trains are $100

'3' Trains are $180

'4' Trains are $300

'5' Trains are $450

'6' Trains are $630

'7' Trains are $700

'4D' Trains are $800

NDY is worth having (I nearly put my bid on it), as it gives the owning Corporation a train at half price (but the company closes). Note that to use that ability, you would have had to have sold it to a Corporation (which you would get the cash for).

(**)MalevolentPanda bids $105 on M&C. Remaining free cash $395.

-> @SimonC

SimonC's options are:

Spoiler

1. Buy Tuscumbia for $20. This would have a domino effect, giving LaParka S&NA for $45, me B&SLC for $75 and MalevolentPanda M&C for $105.

2. Place a bid on one of the others.

11 hours ago, MalevolentPanda said:

Ok. I think? I've bid on M&C. Check whether I've done this right, someone who understands this!

You've done it exactly right. Just needed the log of your move posting to the thread.

On 15 March 2018 at 22:09, LaParka said:

I want to be able to bid on S&NA, so I have to set aside $45 to be able to participate in that potential auction? 

Sorry, just seen the question. Yes, that's right – the money is tied up until that auction is done.

Sorry for taking so long, bit of a pants week.

LaParka buys Tusc for $20
LaParka buys S&NA for $45
Professor Rob buys B&SLC for $75
MalevolentPanda buys M&C for $105
SimonC buys NDY for $125
LaParka has $435
Professor Rob has $425
MalevolentPanda has $395
SimonC has $375

==================
Start of Stock Round 1
==================
@Professor Robhas the Priority Deal

I'll explain a little bit about this next phase of the game, if people are unsure.

Now that all of the Private Companies have been sold, we enter the first proper Stock Round. Here, shares in the six Corporations are bought from the Initial Public Offering (IPO).

There are ten shares for each Corporation, and the first person to buy a share certificate in a particular Corporation gets to set the 'Par' or base price for that Corporation's shares. The first certificate bought is the 'President's Certificate' and is actually worth two shares, so that player has to pay twice the Par price he set, and subsequently owns 20% of the Corporation's shares. Once 60% of a Corporation has been bought, that Corporation is 'floated', and gets ten times its Par value from the bank to use as working capital. The player who has the President's Certificate is the Company President, and gets to decide what to do during the Operating Rounds (build track, run trains).

I can't offer much advice in terms of strategy (I think we're all in the same boat), but with regard to setting the Par price: if you set it too low, the Corporation won't have as much capital to work with during Operating Rounds, but if you set it too high, you might not be able to afford to buy enough Shares in it for it to float. Of course, it can still float if other people also buy shares in it.

The stock round continues until all players have passed consecutively.

Can you pass and then come back in when it gets back round to you? 

And God bless you for doing this :)

Yes, you can pass if you like, and still have a turn when it gets back round to you. Unless, of course, everyone else also passes, ending the Stock Round. 

• Upvote 1

Sorry for the delay, didn't bother to bring my work laptop home over Easter.

SimonC buys a 10% share of L&N from IPO for $60.

> @LaParka

What value is there in buying shares in companies other players control? Do you got a split of any profits that company makes?

Yes. During Operating Rounds, the Corporation runs trains to gain revenue. This revenue is then split between all shareholders, according to the percentage of the Corporation each one owns. This also causes the share price to rise. 

Note that the President can choose to withhold dividends, which means the Corporation keeps the revenue. This gives the Corp more capital to use in the next Operating Round, but causes the share price to drop.