rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
bradigor

Red Faction Guerrilla: ReMARStered

Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered edition is coming to PC and consoles

Surviving Mars with the aid of a sledgehammer

Vienna/Austria, March 29th, 2018; THQ Nordic Red Faction Guerrilla will be fully re-Mars-tered (pun proudly intended) and released on PC, PlayStation®4 and across the Xbox One family of devices including Xbox One X in Q2 2018. The game will go by the name of Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered and "destruction" will remain its middle name

One random yet fun fact about Mars (in real-life): At a height of 25km, Olympus Mons on Mars is the largest volcano in the Solar System and is nearly three times as tall as Mount Everest.

About Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered
Set 50 years after the climactic events of the original Red Faction, Red Faction: Guerrilla allows players to take the role of an insurgent fighter with the newly re-established Red Faction movement as they battle for liberation from the oppressive Earth Defense Force. Red Faction: Guerrilla still defines the limits of destruction-based game-play with a huge open-world, fast-paced guerrilla-style combat, and true physics-based destruction.

Features

• Open World Guerrilla Warfare - You decide who, when, where and how to battle. Utilize guerrilla tactics, improvised weaponry, and modified vehicles to lead insurgent attacks on EDF targets. Launch attacks based on your own gameplay style, take on missions in any order you choose, or engage in destructive activities to weaken the EDF's grip on Mars.
  • Strategic Destruction - Use destruction to your tactical advantage, setting ambushes or chain reaction explosions to attack enemy strongholds and permanently modify the game environment. Leverage fully-dynamic physics-based destruction to improvise on the fly: blow holes in a wall or floor to set an ambush or escape, take out a staircase to stop your pursuers, or drive vehicles through blown out walls.
  • Evolving & Emergent Gameplay - Carve your path through an ever changing landscape as you improvise your combat tactics - mixing gameplay styles, vehicles, weapons and explosives to defeat the EDF.
  • Epic Sci-Fi Setting - Explore the huge, unforgiving Martian landscape, from the desolate mining outpost of Parker to the gleaming EDF capital city of Eos; then tear through the fully destructible open-world environments swarming with EDF forces, Red Faction resistance fighters, and the downtrodden settlers caught in the cross-fire.
  • Multiplayer Combat - There is no place to hide when you put your guerrilla warfare skills to the test in a variety of highly destructive multiplayer combat modes.

Re-Mars-tered Features

• Fully reworked graphics – Heavily reworked textures and graphic features adding for example specular maps.
  • Improved shadow rendering
  • Improved Lighting
  • Shader & Postprocessing rework
  • Native 4k support for the finest up to date mars destruction experience ever

• Upvote 4

Mildly interested in this. Can not remember much about the PS3 original apart from having a blast with the destruction aspect.

The original game kicked major ass. So much fun, the destruction unmatched in nearly a decade! Will keep an eye on this with interest, the multi was fun too in an old school way. 

Was a great game but I am a bit fed up of remasters now. I don't know if it's true but it just seems like a way for companies to make a quick buck. Would much rather we saw some more Horizon Zero Dawn's / Hellblade Senua's sacrifice etc

One of my favourite games of the 360 era. I’m surprised it’s getting a remaster though, it didn’t exactly sell well. A proper sequel or remake would’ve been preferred. 

In the absence of backwards compatibility for the X1 I can see myself picking this up cheap. 

• Upvote 1

Been playing this this morning! (original version obv)

I would not pay for a re-master... it is fun game but a lot of the missions are pretty dodgy (no checkpoints so you get so far along then fail and it is right back to the start)

Gating of the fun toys is a bit slow to let you get the proper blasty things... fun though.

1 hour ago, Luseth said:

I don't know if it's true but it just seems like a way for companies to make a quick buck.

That is the exact point of 99% of them, it's no different to a film getting re-released on a new physical or digital format, a way to further monetise your existing back catalogue.

1 hour ago, Pob said:

One of my favourite games of the 360 era. I’m surprised it’s getting a remaster though, it didn’t exactly sell well. A proper sequel or remake would’ve been preferred. 

THQ Nordic have the express aim of hoovering up as many old defunct IP they can and wringing out some value from them, they don't expect to make loads from each one, but add up all the small amounts they could make from owning hundreds of different brands and you have a nice little business. The owner already said in the past he can't afford to compete with the big boys in terms of original development spending.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, mushashi said:

That is the exact point of 99% of them, it's no different to a film getting re-released on a new physical or digital format, a way to further monetise your existing back catalogue.

THQ Nordic have the express aim of hoovering up as many old defunct IP they can and wringing out some value from them, they don't expect to make loads from each one, but add up all the small amounts they could make from owning hundreds of different brands and you have a nice little business. The owner already said in the past he can't afford to compete with the big boys in terms of original development spending.

I'm just surprised they're expecting to make a profit from remastering and rereleasing it. Maybe it's not as much work as I'm imagining.

It isn't the first of these old THQ games they've done so I assume the results have been good enough for them to continue with it. The guy who controls THQ Nordic has an interesting history, now he's swallowed up Deep Silver too, I do wonder how big his ambitions are.

They should re-release tony hawks 2

edit: I'm an idiot, they already did like 3 times :seanr:

They should re-release Red Faction 1, it's actually a pretty good game. The beginning in particular where the uprising starts around you is one of the better half life ripoffs from that time.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mushashi said:

It isn't the first of these old THQ games they've done so I assume the results have been good enough for them to continue with it. The guy who controls THQ Nordic has an interesting history, now he's swallowed up Deep Silver too, I do wonder how big his ambitions are.

He's cornering the market on b-games. Hopefully, quality b-games. I like the initiative so far. Don't they also have access to Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines and Stalker now?? Or is that just wishful daydreaming on my part? I would love to see a proper dev take a proper stab at doing some with those two classics.

43 minutes ago, fragglerock said:

Reddit says if you own it on steam you will get for freesies. 

Nordic has been nice like that. Titan Quest Anniversary on PC was also free for existing owners of original TQ. Most big publishers wouldn't have bothered, especially not with such an old title. 

3 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Jesus Christ, how many remasters are in the works at the moment?

All of them.

1 hour ago, fragglerock said:

Reddit says if you own it on steam you will get for freesies. 

Win. It looks better but not rebuy better. 

Fingers crossed it doesn't go the way of the Bioshock remaster. Ouch. 

22 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

He's cornering the market on b-games. Hopefully, quality b-games. I like the initiative so far. Don't they also have access to Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines and Stalker now?? Or is that just wishful daydreaming on my part? I would love to see a proper dev take a proper stab at doing some with those two classics.

They don't seem to own either of those 2 brands, though in Vampire's case, that was a licensed game anyway so a bit more tricky to bring back from the dead from a financial standpoint, it also seems to be still owned by Activision, so...

Here's their current stable of brands, they really have bought a lot over the last few years, they currently control over 100, and this list doesn't include the stuff Deep Silver control:

AquaNox

Alien Nations

Beam Breakers

Chaser

Cold Zero

Europa 1400: The Guild

Freak Out: Extreme Freeride

Gothic

Itch!

K-Hawk: Survival Instinct

Legend of Kay

Neighbours from Hell

Panzer Elite

Pusher

Rally Trophy

Railroad Pioneer

Söldner: Secret Wars

Space Force: Rogue Universe

SpellForce

The Nations

Yoga Wii

Zax: The Alien Hunter

Animates

Besieger

Castleween

Domination

Dunes of War

Dungeon Lords

Emergency Fire Response

Enigma: Rising Tide

First Battalion

Genesis Rising: The Universal Crusade

Harbinger

Painkiller

Pax Romana

Project Earth: Starmageddon

Riddle of the Sphinx: An Egyptian Adventure

Rock Manager

Safecracker

Stealth Combat

SuperPower

The Forgotten: It Begins

The Golden Horde

Traitors Gate

All Star Cheer Squad

All Star Karate

Alter Echo

Baja: Edge of Control

Battle of the Bands

Beat City

Big Beach Sports

Big Family Games

Crawler

Darksiders

de Blob

Deadly Creatures

Deep Six

Destroy All Humans!

Dood's Big Adventure

Elements of Destruction

Fantastic Pets

Frontlines: Fuel of War

Full Spectrum Warrior

Juiced

Lock's Quest

MX vs. ATV

Neighborhood Games

Pax Imperia: Eminent Domain

Red Faction

Splashdown

Stuntman

Summoner

Terranium

The Outfit

Titan Quest

uDraw

World of Zoo

Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive

Silver

Codename: Panzers – Cold War

15 Days

Curse of the Ghost Ship

Overclocked: A History of Violence

The Black Mirror

The Moment of Silence

The Mystery of the Druids

Men of Valor

Bridge Project

Citadels

Jagged Alliance

North & South

Panzer Tactics DS

Thunder Wolves

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident

Codename: Panzers

Impossible Creatures

Bang Bang Racing

Black Knight Sword

Imperium Galactica

Liberty Wings

Sine Mora

Scarabeus: Pearls of Nile

SkyDrift

Ubrain

Armored Fist

Black Fire

Delta Force

Comanche

F-16 Multirole Fighter

F-22 Lightning II

Jigsaw: The Ultimate Electronic Puzzle

Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising

MiG-29 Fulcrum

Tachyon: The Fringe

Ultrabots

Wolfpack

Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy

Legends of War

War Leaders: Clash of Nations

Rad Rodgers

Giana Sisters

Helldorado

Rogue Stormers

Fret Nice

Kill to Collect

Puzzlegeddon

Robo Surf

Roby Tumbler

I wonder if they'll do anything more with the physics? Probably not, the gfx upgrade is welcome though. Good as the first one was, it did tend to look a bit flat. Crisper, punchier value contrast and some hard dynamic lighting will work wonders I'm sure.

Just heard about this.

The official THQ channel is marketing this with the 'Space Asshole' song from Idle Thumbs!

:lol:

Amazing.

• Upvote 5

I playing in t he switch.  It's just as fun as it ever was and looks great..I have had some slowdown at busier moments which is a bit worrying as I'm in the smaller areas at the moment.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Gord said:

I playing in t he switch.  It's just as fun as it ever was and looks great..I have had some slowdown at busier moments which is a bit worrying as I'm in the smaller areas at the moment.

You using performance or quality mode? It does make a differenece.