Xbox 2 specs

Uncle Nasty

Won't Flash memory be a lot cheaper and higher capacity by the time Xbox 2 is launched though?

It will need to drop like a stone to be affordable. Currently, a 1GB flash card will cost you around £70 - So 8GB would cost you £560 - It would need to drop be a factor of 10 to cost the same as a 8GB HD- Which they are saying is too expensive anyway. Obviously the prices quoted are for you and me - Economies of scale would make this far cheaper when bought in volume - but the same principle applies.

In summary then, Flash will not be cheap enough come 2006.

um...eh? you can only play kareoke games with a mic, unless you're good with the old analogue sticks for modulating a tone...

I know, but being equally pedantic I said I'm not aware of any live enabled games that require peripherals. THis game is indeed live enabled, and requires a peripheral, but they're sort of unrelated. See?

Shall we stop this now ;)

If they don't have an HDD, coupled with a lack of backwards compatability... they're really asking for trouble.

I think the Xbox 2 is make or break for them, they have to get sales at least close to that of the PS3... I can't see them leaving one out, nooo way.

Pete, where can I get a 1gb flash card for around that price?

And I'm sure they'll pass the savings on to us ;)

Christ, you're not happy enough with the $180 (or whatever it is) it cost them to get an XBox into your home: you also want them to make huge losses on the next one too!

(actually, personally I do, but then I'm anti-MS)

Guest Two Heavens

So the PS3 is still in the lead with 8 "processors".

I'd just about worked out what the Xbox processors were for as well, but now they've gone and ruined that.

1 CPU.

1 magic sound processor.

1 really, really fast magic ethernet processor.

1 joypad reader processor? Maybe it'll have a lot of buttons.

Oh....and I just remembered....the amount of processors you have stuffed in your box (!!??) doesn't an easy console to program make ;) (saturn...jaguar??)

IIRC, the PS2 has two. So your argument (whatever it is), is null and void!

All this is just speculation though, MS haven't confirmed anything, and there will NEED to be a hard drive to be backwards-compatable with Xbox games.

In all honesty, I doubt they'll drop the hard drive, but again, what's the point in backwards-compatability if you've got all your saves on your Xbox, not the Xenon?

Lemon, if they plan to beat Sony, then they'll need to know what they're doing, and go a step further.

And Halo 2 is set for this Autumn - Xbox 2 isn't coming out in Autumn so it won't be a launch title.

I can't see any new consoles (home consoles from the main three) coming out in 2005, it'd just be naïve and stupid.

Exactly... that's one reason why I think the HDD could be an optional extra.

I mean, Xbox2 for plain and simple Xbox2.

HDD as an extra price that would give you the HDD, together with backwards compatability.

Because I'm sure a lot of HDDs aren't really used, and I guess not THAT maybe people take advantage of backwards compatability.

because the PS2 is easy to program??!

It's hardly the most difficult to program for if so many games get released (not forgetting the amount of small developers that create games on the console, generally shit ones).

Mr Pickford, how hard has it been for you? I'm genuinely intereseted, because with the scale of releases, it just seems that people have been using the multiple processors as an excuse.

It's often said that you need a hard drive for online games. Is this true? I can see 3 uses for a HDD:

downloadable maps

patching game code to foil cheaters

something about the design of the game that needs a large scratch space or persistent storage. MMORPGs maybe?

Given that downlaodable maps can be replaced with unlocking existing maps on the DVD, how much are the other facilities really required and used by the current generation of XBL games? You could always sell its seperately with your MMORPG subscription. Could you run XBL without a HDD in the Xbox?

It's hardly the most difficult to program for if so many games get released (not forgetting the amount of small developers that create games on the console, generally shit ones).

Mr Pickford, how hard has it been for you? I'm genuinely intereseted, because with the scale of releases, it just seems that people have been using the multiple processors as an excuse.

How many people own PS2s again? ;)

Guest Penguin_Lad
Anyone else think this dropping the hard drive malarky is as much about selling accessories (mem cards) is it is about saving money?

I think if they could sell an online game with a Hard Drive for $60 they might get round it.

Or maybe not.

Well, fuck. You better throw electricity in as another peripheral then cos you can't even play the damn console without buying that.

That's a pre-requirement to you even considering buying the console, given that it's absolutely essential in order to use it at all.

Broadband isn't.

Well, fuck. You better throw electricity in as another peripheral then cos you can't even play the damn console without buying that.

Oh, stop being so bloody facetious.

Broadband is integral to the Live! experience.

It's not something that comes out of the box when you buy either an Xbox or one of the games with 2 months free live.

It's necessary. It's a necesarry peripheral.

That's a pre-requirement to you even considering buying the console, given that it's absolutely essential in order to use it at all.

Broadband isn't.

Broadband does on the other hand have purposes beyond the console itself, so of course it's not a peripheral. No more so than a phone line is.